PDA

View Full Version : SFR: Clip based timeline display

Mike Prevette
03-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Ok I'm being beaten into submission on this one. If we must use the time line for our processing can we please have a mode where the each thumbnail = one clip. So no matter what scaling is set on the slider ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL PER CLIP IS displayed. So if there are 50 clips in the time line = you'd have 50 thumbnails. Also can we have a clearer UI hint between clips (UI is down the road I know but the more done now the smoother that road will be).

Even better would be a list view option like in Rocket cine!

Even better than that would be a command similar to the shift + arrow command from Redcine that would jump you to the middle of the surrounding clips (forward or backward in time depending on the arrow)

Currently in build 158, grading in the bin only is not saved via the project save function.

Many thanks for the great work, and keep it up!

Deanan
03-19-2010, 07:01 PM
You don't have to use timeline to do your processing as you can use the bin directly.

There's a list view in the bin.

If you turn on auto save for RMD, the looks automatically get saved with the clips.
The looks on clips in the bin also get saved with the project.

Mike Prevette
03-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Ahhhh it was that last step I missed. Thanks Deanan.

***UPDATE****
Hmmm doesn't seem to function as described. RMD auto save was on but grades weren't retained when the project was reloaded.

***UPDATE 2***

After toggling it off then on again it has started working.

Nils Ruinet
03-20-2010, 05:37 AM
I agree with Mike's suggestions regarding timeline UI.

Here are some suggestions regarding UI (yeah I know, UI will be worked on later, but I just thought I'd mention these points) :

It's hard to know where the cuts are when looking at the timeline. A clearer separation between clip would be better.
Also, the old Redcine had a feature I used all the time : there was a button you could click (and a keyboard shortcut) that automatically zoomed into the actual clip. So when activated, you were only seen this clip in the timeline (well at least in the small timeline that's under the viewport), making it easier to scrub in it precisely when you have a long timeline... And there were shortcuts to jump to the next/previous clip. I'd love to see that feature in RCX.

The zoom in 158 is sometimes behaving strangely, it's hard to know where you are. The widest timeline zoom should automatically fit the whole lenght of the timeline, like it does in Avid.

I would also like to be able to turn the thumbnails off in the timeline. When there are lots of clips, it takes a lot of time to refresh, and I'm not sure it realy helps readability. Or, as Mike suggested, make a "1 thumbnail = 1 clip" mode, like in the old RC. That was actually a nice way to have an overview of the project. And it's not the same as the bin view in my opinion.

I have a feeling the "save" option doesn't always work as intended, it sometimes doesn't save the changes... But that's more like a bug.