PDA

View Full Version : Did i just make a big mistake???

Zakaree Sandberg
03-29-2010, 09:32 PM
did I EFF this one up??
I just shot an entire music video in 4.5k...
come back to edit it.. and realize my original workflow will NOT work!

REDALERT to create a look... NOPE (unless i want my footage looking shitty apparently)
REDRUSHES to create quicktimes so i dont have 15 min render times.. NOPE

so the only thing that will work is red-cine X, in which i cant even figure out how to save a look..

plus.. the footage looks terrible in there...

redcolor
red gamma..

it looked amazing on my monitors..

any help??? please??

Zakaree Sandberg
03-29-2010, 09:37 PM
gunna try his method..
http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42662

i didnt have the new redcine 183... ill try that..

but I still dont know what to make editable quicktimes with...

Zakaree Sandberg
03-29-2010, 10:09 PM
note:
just loaded footage in redcinex... getting weird blue dot type things in footage when viewing full rez.. not there as i start going down to 1/8 or 1/16...

it was a bar scene..lit like a bar scene.. so there are some dark things going on obviously. but that should not have caused this.

David Battistella
03-29-2010, 10:17 PM
note:
just loaded footage in redcinex... getting weird blue dot type things in footage when viewing full rez.. not there as i start going down to 1/8 or 1/16...

it was a bar scene..lit like a bar scene.. so there are some dark things going on obviously. but that should not have caused this.

That sounds like bad black balance. I have had this (dead pixel look) ON old builds of M sensor, but only at long shutter times on timelapse and high ISO.

David

Zakaree Sandberg
03-30-2010, 03:53 AM
i re calibrated before i shot..

Gunleik Groven
03-30-2010, 04:47 AM
I'll get stick for saying this, and I really llike the B30 Colorscience, but

You CAN experience some more noise in B30 CS over 21 - especially if you're used to the 20 RedCine, AND re-whiteballancing of the scene is a good plan with B30.

I saw very big differences under fluorescent light, shot with B 30 and developed in RC-20 and the B30 tools. RC-20 was way less noisy.

Just some hunches here... (and they won't help you much...)

Martin Weiss
03-30-2010, 05:51 AM
so the only thing that will work is red-cine X, in which i cant even figure out how to save a look..

Well, there is always the good old RTFM, but you might also want to try the new Clipfinder. I just did a commercial in 4.5k exactly so I could test the workflow.

Make low res proxies of all the clips in Clipfinder. Edit in FCP. Export as XML. Import XML into Clipfinder. Render out. Confirm to new XML. Import new XML into FCP. Soundmix. Export. Voilá.

James T Mather
03-30-2010, 06:06 AM

plus.. the footage looks terrible in there...

I agree with you on this - I have used redcine x on set to check back rushes and the stuff looks HORRIBLE in there. Why is this?

Plus the cluttered overlapping workspace is nasty compared to the older version.

Bring back the old redcine which gave a pretty nice clean picture right out of the gate I say.

Zakaree Sandberg
03-30-2010, 06:16 AM
uhhggg discouraged!

How am I going to save this music video hahaha....

I shot it...
looked amazing on set...

now I cant even figure out a simple post on this.

should have done my homework on build 30...

Morning Glory
03-30-2010, 06:41 AM
This may sound a bit crazy, but if it looked good on set, you could try using the camera as your deck and capture it from the dual link 1080 out.

Nick Shaw
03-30-2010, 06:51 AM
This may sound a bit crazy, but if it looked good on set, you could try using the camera as your deck and capture it from the dual link 1080 out.

That would not be ideal for many reasons. Not least being that your images will be cropped horizontally with 1080 playback.

However playing back on the camera would be a good check that the camera recorded the footage as you saw it on set. There have been issues reported with build 30.4.1 clamping the black level. Is this what you are seeing?

Zakaree Sandberg
03-30-2010, 07:07 AM
nooooooo....

theres got to be a real way to do this thing..

first step is figuring out how to make offline edit prores files...
does clipfinder do this? redrushes support 4.5k?

next step edit...

then i need to what? send xml to clipfinder and bring r3d's back online?

how then do I send back out to redcine-x for a color finish?

Personally since this is going o web...

I just want to do a pretty nice one light and then make 4444 files and use those as my finishing edit- which I will send to color for a final polish.. then use genarts film effects to really finish it.

so... How do I one light this stuff?
cant figure out how to save a look in redcine-x which is very important..
I wish redalert supported build 30, so i can make rsx files

Zakaree Sandberg
03-30-2010, 07:09 AM
the black level looks fine.. looked fine on set..
looks effing weird at full res in redcine x... only full res.

of course there will be a little noise from the low light (mood lighting)
but thats ok, as i plan on putting a film stock lut on it and will deal with it.
the blue weirdness on the other hand is unacceptable

Morning Glory
03-30-2010, 07:13 AM
To save a look in Redcine-X,
Open the Look Preset Tool under Window/Look Preset Tool (or CMD+8)
Create your look
Press the plus sign in the Look Preset Tool
Name your look

Zakaree Sandberg
03-30-2010, 07:37 AM
thanks MG.
getting a rocket once they call my number for sensor upgrade..

it might make things easier yah?

Nick Shaw
03-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Clipfinder 2.5 (http://www.hamingja.ch/) supports build 30 and can make RSX files which REDcineX will read.

Curran Giddens
03-30-2010, 07:42 AM
I have the new Clipfinder ($100) so I'm not sure if the menu items are the same for the free version. But this is what I do after the edit is locked in FCP:

then i need to what? send xml to clipfinder and bring r3d's back online?

File > "Import Clips from FCP XML" select <name> tag (no subclips)
Replace MOV with R3D

how then do I send back out to redcine-x for a color finish?

On the new Clipfinder there is a Send to RedCine-X feature. On the free version you can just copy all files used in the edit to a separate directory.

Clipfinder
Edit > Select All and then "Copy"

Finder
Create a New Folder in the Finder
Edit > Paste (this copies all R3D files used in FCP to a single directory)

Now you can just load the folder into RedCine-X to do your one light.

REDcolor
REDgamma
White Balance
FLUT™ Control
Lift

Export ProRes 4444. Use Clipfinder to connect original FCP XML with your new ProRes files.

bobbystone
03-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Clipfinder Clipfinder Clipfinder...

Tim Sutherland
03-30-2010, 08:31 AM
I've found that in RedCine-X if you set the color to REDCOLOR and gamma to REDSPACE it looks very similar to the monitoring you saw on set. Kind of how CameraRGB plus REC709 used to give you the equivalent of RAW view on set.

RedGamma is great for grading and not terrible for viewing, but if you're just making offline, I'd go with the redcolor/redspace combo.

Also, if you save your project in RC-X, when you re-open the program make sure to reload the project. It seems to be there when you first open the program, but the grades don't show up until you open the project again (in my experience in Build 158).

Tim

Dustin Cross
03-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Clipfinder!!!!!!!

Your problem with RCX at full res might be a video card issue. Maybe your video card is freaking out with full res, but is okay at lower res. Just a thought. Try a full res test render and see if that is okay. If it is, it is just a viewing problem and doesn't effect render and there is no need to do color work at full res anyway.

Dusty

Zakaree Sandberg
03-30-2010, 09:41 AM
could be.. its a Nvidia GeForce GTS 250..
never had issues before..

so make offline files in clipfinder or redcine x?

Gunleik Groven
03-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Clipfinder is your friend.

Allmost allways...

Dustin Cross
03-30-2010, 11:45 AM
I would make offlines with Clipfinder. Do some basic color tweeking in Clipfinder and render out offline files. It will render using old Color science, because that is all it can.

Then do your edit without paying to much attention to color.

Export XML of your finished edit.

Bring into XML Clipfinder and send to RCX or Color depending on your prefered finish. If sending to Color get the new version of Clipfinder and you can send you RSX data to Color with your XML.

Wait, Color doesn't support 4.5K so you will need to use RCX.

Hope that helps.

Dusty