PDA

View Full Version : File based daily with scratch rocket fuel

Andrea Biscaro
04-18-2010, 01:54 AM
I get my new rocket fuel complete system in an assimilate certificate windows base machine (asus rampage 2, 4 tera drive, 30 giga sd system hard drive, 6 giga ram).
Unboxing and thinking that it will work...
Now after almost one week of fighting with them I am really disappointed and on trouble.
I am on a set of a movie, where I was suppose to do daily on file based then acquiring on avid to convert on mxf 14.1, sent it to another country by a server so the editor can start work.
Actually I have discover that a system that was billed to me for almost 16.000 € is not able to do batch export of quicktime from scratch Cine, that Avid metafuze don't recognize the red rocket card, that redcine-x will stuck on quicktime export....
Image that a software like scratch cine can't do batch export of daily on file based system (the system was selled to me as a solution to create daily on set and on file based workflow) is something that I have discover only now...
I hope that is my lack on knowledge of scratch cine, so please somebody can give me some answer about it?
How I can do batch conversion from .r3d files using scratch cine?
How can I go trought the stuck of redcine-x when I try to convert on batch?
Thanks
Andrea

P.s. I get on 3 days a sum of problems on 1 new windows machine that I have never had with 5 mac work stations on the last 4 years...

Deanan
04-18-2010, 02:08 AM
For redcinex, can you send us the log files to redcinex at red . com:
On windows 7 "{User's Folder}\AppData\Local\red\RedCineX"
On XP: "{User's Folder}\Local Settings\Application Data\red\RedCineX\Logs"

Andrea Biscaro
04-18-2010, 02:20 AM
For redcinex, can you send us the log files to redcinex at red . com:
On windows 7 "{User's Folder}\AppData\Local\red\RedCineX"
On XP: "{User's Folder}\Local Settings\Application Data\red\RedCineX\Logs"

Thanks denan, the weird think that happen is that is stucking when Is start the export quicktime (only quick time not on the other formats), when I launch the progrma I receive a message with wrote: "your redrocket is in a 4x pci-Ex Lasne. The RedRocket requires an 8x lane to perform properly"
everything work well till I launch quick time batch export, at this point the batch monitor stay on 0% and status is on running, I have to force exit to go trought.
It was working a coupe of time then he as stop. i have sent the log file
Thanks for your help
Andrea

John Tissavary
04-18-2010, 11:24 AM
I get my new rocket fuel complete system in an assimilate certificate windows base machine (asus rampage 2, 4 tera drive, 30 giga sd system hard drive, 6 giga ram).
Unboxing and thinking that it will work...
Now after almost one week of fighting with them I am really disappointed and on trouble.
I am on a set of a movie, where I was suppose to do daily on file based then acquiring on avid to convert on mxf 14.1, sent it to another country by a server so the editor can start work.
Actually I have discover that a system that was billed to me for almost 16.000 € is not able to do batch export of quicktime from scratch Cine, that Avid metafuze don't recognize the RED Rocket™ card, that redcine-x will stuck on quicktime export....
Image that a software like scratch cine can't do batch export of daily on file based system (the system was selled to me as a solution to create daily on set and on file based workflow) is something that I have discover only now...
I hope that is my lack on knowledge of scratch cine, so please somebody can give me some answer about it?
How I can do batch conversion from .r3d files using scratch cine?
How can I go trought the stuck of redcine-x when I try to convert on batch?
Thanks
Andrea

P.s. I get on 3 days a sum of problems on 1 new windows machine that I have never had with 5 mac work stations on the last 4 years...

I've conformed and graded over 7 feature films with Scratch in the last 12 months, and have never had the problems you describe. I suspect either a system configuration problem, and/or user error. It also sounds like you are, perhaps, not familiar with this system yet, and would really benefit from submitting your support request to Assimilate support (support@assimilateinc.com).

If Redcine-X is stalling on Quicktime as well, then you can be fairly certain that the problem is not with Scratch, but somewhere else.

My second suggestion (after submitting the support request) is to uninstall both Quicktime & Scratch, then reinstall the latest version of Quicktime first, then download the latest version of Scratch (build 588).

Again, as a Scratch user you are entitled to support, always submit problems like this directly to Assimilate support (support@assimilateinc.com) with an attached logfile (C:\Program Data\Assimilator\Settings\logs)

regards,

John T.

Andrea Biscaro
04-18-2010, 10:12 PM
I've conformed and graded over 7 feature films with Scratch in the last 12 months, and have never had the problems you describe. I suspect either a system configuration problem, and/or user error. It also sounds like you are, perhaps, not familiar with this system yet, and would really benefit from submitting your support request to Assimilate support (support@assimilateinc.com).

If Redcine-X is stalling on Quicktime as well, then you can be fairly certain that the problem is not with Scratch, but somewhere else.

My second suggestion (after submitting the support request) is to uninstall both Quicktime & Scratch, then reinstall the latest version of Quicktime first, then download the latest version of Scratch (build 588).

Again, as a Scratch user you are entitled to support, always submit problems like this directly to Assimilate support (support@assimilateinc.com) with an attached logfile (C:\Program Data\Assimilator\Settings\logs)

regards,

John T.

Thanks for the answer John,
I have wrote that I am not familiar with the software, for this reason I had buy my system from a certificate assimilate reseller.
I understand very well that Scratch is a good software to conforme and grading, but, when I have ask a solution to create dailys on set on file based, It was assured to me that is possible doing with this rocketfuel editing.
I don't want start a thread with polemics about the best software or hardware... I am just try to solve a pratical problem, and, after almost 4 days I don't have any answer:
With scratch Cine is possible made a batch export on quicktime of the daylis?
I mean not exporting the construct, just transcoding the single files automaticaly.
I thinked that is a really easy question and, as this was the first question that I have posed to the assimilate reseller before buying my system, and the answer was yes, is really frustrating for me be stuck on a set of a complicate movie and have a 16k € worth system that seem not able to do batch conversion and the movie can't be start the editing.

Just that.

I am confident that somebody can give me this simple answer, because if Scratch cine can't made batch conversion of .r3d files on quicktime to create a workflow file based system is totally useless for me on set.

Thanks for all the answer
Andrea

Lucas Wilson
04-18-2010, 11:03 PM

Simple answer - yes.

Andrea - Reduser is not the place for critical support of a SCRATCH system. Please contact me offlist at:

lucas (at) assimilateinc (dot) com

And tell me who your reseller was, what company you are with that purchased the SCRATCH, and when you purchased. I will make sure you get taken care of and put into the appropriate support channels.

Best,

Lucas

Lucas Wilson
------------
Director, Business Development
ASSIMILATE, inc.
LA, CA, USA

John Tissavary
04-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the answer John,
I have wrote that I am not familiar with the software, for this reason I had buy my system from a certificate assimilate reseller.
I understand very well that Scratch is a good software to conforme and grading, but, when I have ask a solution to create dailys on set on file based, It was assured to me that is possible doing with this rocketfuel editing.
I don't want start a thread with polemics about the best software or hardware... I am just try to solve a pratical problem, and, after almost 4 days I don't have any answer:
I mean not exporting the construct, just transcoding the single files automaticaly.
I thinked that is a really easy question and, as this was the first question that I have posed to the assimilate reseller before buying my system, and the answer was yes, is really frustrating for me be stuck on a set of a complicate movie and have a 16k € worth system that seem not able to do batch conversion and the movie can't be start the editing.

Just that.

I am confident that somebody can give me this simple answer, because if Scratch cine can't made batch conversion of .r3d files on quicktime to create a workflow file based system is totally useless for me on set.

Thanks for all the answer
Andrea

Yes, Scratch can do batch export to quicktime, but the workflow is slightly different than one might expect. I do not know of a way to just automatically batch transcode r3d to quicktime - there is a bit of setup involved, but once you understand how it's easy & fast:

1) Import all relevant clips to one or more constructs (how you structure your workspace - groups / constructs - is up to you).

2) In process & matrix set your debayer and color correction parameters as desired.

3) In construct > output add a single output, hit the 'play' button to play that output.

4) In Guides module add whatever metadata you need in your dailies - timecode / keycode / filename burn-ins, framing guides, etc... (make sure you enable metadata burn-in in process module).

5) In process / fx setup add quicktime plugin, set to whatever codec is appropriate for your needs, in shot config or construct > output set render to separate folders, adjust for whatever naming you need.

6) Add to render queue or just process without adding to queue.

That's it.

But as Lucas mentioned - it's really important that you follow the correct support channels to get the information you need in a timely manner. Reduser is not really appropriate for Scratch support situations.

Paul Buhl
04-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Yes, Scratch can do batch export to quicktime

Can Scratch transcode to ProRes? If not now, any plans to soon?
I'm leaning toward buying a Scratch and one of the services I want to provide is graded ProRes transcoded from R3D for FCP editors to offline with.

Cüneyt Kaya
04-19-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm leaning toward buying a Scratch and one of the services I want to provide is graded ProRes transcoded from R3D for FCP editors to offline with.

Lucas should call Steve Jobs on his mobile and ask:
"Hey Steve, do you know, it really sucks that you dont allow to write prores files on windows!"

"Well then bring your programm to the Mac Lucas"

"Steve i`ll do it the day you provide drivers for the right NVidia cards"
"Well Lucas, so guess no ProRes for you and no Scratch for me"
"Ok bye"
"bye"

Paul Buhl
04-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Sounds like I'll need Red Rocket and a dedicated Quad or Eight core for this part of my business.

Lucas Wilson
04-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Hey Paul,

Short answer - no.

Longer answer...

There is no prores encoder for windows and SCRATCH is a windows program. BUT... We have a plan. Stay tuned to this channel... ; )

Lucas

Lucas Wilson
04-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Lucas should call Steve Jobs on his mobile and ask:
"Hey Steve, do you know, it really sucks that you dont allow to write prores files on windows!"

"Well then bring your programm to the Mac Lucas"

"Steve i`ll do it the day you provide drivers for the right NVidia cards"
"Well Lucas, so guess no ProRes for you and no Scratch for me"
"Ok bye"
"bye"

LOL

I've had a similar discussion with someone a little further down the food chain than mr. Jobs. : )

Lucas

dave_garcia
04-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Oh dude! I'm tuned. Can you tell us now please? Please?

I love my new scratch and I want so badly to be able to make pro-res.

Justin Barham
04-22-2010, 08:13 PM
LOL

I've had a similar discussion with someone a little further down the food chain than mr. Jobs. : )

Lucas

Good luck with that. As you know Clipster is writing to ProRes now (or so I hear.)

Lucas Wilson
04-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Good luck with that. As you know Clipster is writing to ProRes now (or so I hear.)

...and it is tied to hardware, which apple does not have a problem with.

Apple has not allowed a software-only pro-res encode on windows yet.

Lucas

Justin Barham
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
...and it is tied to hardware, which apple does not have a problem with.

Apple has not allowed a software-only pro-res encode on windows yet.

Lucas

Ahh gotcha. I guess that's how it works with Arri too? Apple is an enigma.

Well I hope they open up for you. I hear good things about Scratch.

Gabriele Turchi
04-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Hey Paul,

Short answer - no.

Longer answer...

There is no prores encoder for windows and SCRATCH is a windows program. BUT... We have a plan. Stay tuned to this channel... ; )

Lucas

lucas please this is a very delicate matter....
i am thinking to abandon scratch for dailies because of the missing prores...
please if yu guys are thinking to a valid workaround let us know a bit more ...(than just an idea...)

please ...

thanks

g

Lucas Wilson
04-24-2010, 08:16 AM
lucas please this is a very delicate matter....
i am thinking to abandon scratch for dailies because of the missing prores...
please if yu guys are thinking to a valid workaround let us know a bit more ...(than just an idea...)

Gabriele,

Apologies, but I not am at liberty to divulge details.

We are working on a solution, but if/when it happens, it will be at least a few months away. That much, I can tell you.

Best,

Lucas

Gabriele Turchi
04-24-2010, 08:19 AM
i see...
so no solution coming for at least months ...
i bought scratch almost a year ago and i was told "we are working on a solution for this"....

:(

Lucas Wilson
04-24-2010, 08:57 AM
i see...
so no solution coming for at least months ...
i bought scratch almost a year ago and i was told "we are working on a solution for this"....

:(

And we were telling the truth. We were working on a solution for it at that time. It did not work. Not everything we try or every business relationship we try to create works!

So, we went back to the drawing board and are trying other solutions.

Lucas

Gabriele Turchi
04-24-2010, 10:13 AM
And we were telling the truth. We were working on a solution for it at that time. It did not work. Not everything we try or every business relationship we try to create works!

So, we went back to the drawing board and are trying other solutions.

Lucas

i understand...
but please lucas , try to give to this matter as much priority you can...
because when the arri alexa and the epic will be out the processing for editorial will die ,because those cameras will encode prores In-camera...
so we have just few months left to use scratch for dailies ...

thanks

g

M Most
04-24-2010, 10:35 AM
i understand...
but please lucas , try to give to this matter as much priority you can...
because when the arri alexa and the epic will be out the processing for editorial will die ,because those cameras will encode prores In-camera...
so we have just few months left to use scratch for dailies ...

Just one correction. No ProRes recording option has been announced by Red. They have announced an H.264 recording module, but have not mentioned any other formats. I, for one, would not want to consider cutting with H.264, for many reasons, although it is a good way to create viewing dailies on the camera.