PDA

View Full Version : Middle East RED community

Kujtim Ereqi
04-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Hi all there. I'm starting a new thread because this thread is a little outdated.( http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5068 )

Those RED users who live in Middle East and think that we should start our own users group, please post your opinion here. If we get enough responses we can ask the administrators to make an middle east group..

I think that this would be a fantastic idea..

David (dudi) Namir
04-24-2010, 05:50 AM
Hi all there. I'm starting a new thread because this thread is a little outdated.( http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5068 )

Those RED users who live in Middle East and think that we should start our own users group, please post your opinion here. If we get enough responses we can ask the administrators to make an middle east group..

I think that this would be a fantastic idea..

I am with you.
I am from Israel.

Kujtim Ereqi
04-24-2010, 07:31 AM
I am with you.
I am from Israel.

You're welcome..

Mohammed El Sharqawy
04-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks Kujtim for your fast actions..

did you went for post in Egypt before? you said in Kuwait usually RED projects runs CC in Egypt..

Andrew clemson
04-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Im in, would love to not have to skim the "asia" and "everywhere else" threads, but Not sure if there are that many proactive users in the region. Get this thread active enough and Im sure they'll consider adding a new section.

Sally Shamas
04-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Most of the projects here in Lebanon are shot on Red.
It would be nice to have a Middle East RedUser group. will definitely make things alot easier especially when people need an immediate reply to certain requests.

RikiButland
04-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Absolutely I am in

Kujtim Ereqi
04-26-2010, 02:53 AM

did you went for post in Egypt before? you said in Kuwait usually RED projects runs CC in Egypt..

My company is trying something very different from the rest of companies in Kuwait. As a first stage we are trying hard to provide all solutions inside the company.
We don't hire anyone from outside the company (even in Kuwait). We don't rent any thing. If we need anything we buy it. For a lot of people our way of doing things sounded crazy, but it was very successful locally. Now we can offer quality with the most competitive prices in the local market. Even with the global crisis we have not suffered to get new clients. We are even planning to expand outside Kuwait. Our company is like an island with minimum connections with other companies. That's because most of them are away from being professionals.
But since our projects are getting bigger, we are preparing to move to the next stage: hiring partial services from professionals outside Kuwait.

Yusuf Thakur
04-26-2010, 04:51 AM
I am in TOO.

Yusuf Thakur
VFX, DUBAI

Mohammed El Sharqawy
04-26-2010, 05:23 AM
people are starting to get in..
maybe we can try to count how many RED ONEs are in the Middle East..
we have like 13 or more in Egypt.. maybe I can get the right number later..
Kujtim pointed 4 in Kuwait
Sally pointed 10 in Lebanon
others?

Kujtim Ereqi
04-26-2010, 09:48 AM
A good thing to do is sending PM to any person who lives or may be interested to do business in this area.

Mohammed El Sharqawy
04-26-2010, 06:51 PM
or maybe a poll..

David (dudi) Namir
04-26-2010, 07:08 PM

Hi everyone Salam Alekum and mabruk
May I just note that we have great Post Houses in Israel.
Seriously, you are welcome and I am here to help mediating.

David (dudi) Namir
04-26-2010, 07:11 PM
people are starting to get in..
maybe we can try to count how many RED ONEs are in the Middle East..
we have like 13 or more in Egypt.. maybe I can get the right number later..
Kujtim pointed 4 in Kuwait
Sally pointed 10 in Lebanon
others?

I think we have at least 10 in Israel.
I have 2 Reds.

RikiButland
04-26-2010, 09:14 PM
I have 2 Red's and there must be at least another 8 in Dubai

Ido Karilla
04-27-2010, 01:13 AM
We at "Opus - Digital Lab TLV" would be very happy to contribute to the RED ME community.

We have a DI suite based on a scratch system and calibrated to several film labs.

Last year we graded two RED (and 3 HD ) features and we have 3 more RED features this year.

We have done many TV projects including the first Israeli TV series shot on RED.

See you around.

Sally Shamas
04-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Scratch also here in Beirut.

David (dudi) Namir
04-27-2010, 10:46 PM
We at "Opus - Digital Lab TLV" would be very happy to contribute to the RED ME community.

We have a DI suite based on a scratch system and calibrated to several film labs.

Last year we graded two RED (and 3 HD ) features and we have 3 more RED features this year.

We have done many TV projects including the first Israeli TV series shot on RED.

See you around.
Can only say good things about Opus and Ido Karilla. Very professional.

Mohammed El Sharqawy
04-28-2010, 04:48 PM
I think we should be up to the task..

I will need help on this question:
which Admin we can ask? for this group to be opened/created?
Or Please any Admin who reads this thread might reply..
Thanks in advance..

Omar Al-Masab
04-29-2010, 04:44 AM
In Kuwait there are 4 with rental houses,
& 2 (that i know of) privately owned.

Esmaeil Neisi
05-01-2010, 03:37 AM
Hi guys we are here in Iran have 5 red one and anamorphic lenses if any one of you guys interested in co operating,your welcome
Esmaile Neissi

Esmaeil Neisi
05-01-2010, 03:39 AM
also if interesting can handle 3D shoting for you with professional crow

Andrew clemson
05-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Well, congratulations Boys and Girls. Thread started. Time to fill it with relevant information and discussion!

Mohammed El Sharqawy
05-02-2010, 06:42 AM
I would thank Kuijtim very much for pushing the idea..

Esmaeil Neisi
05-02-2010, 01:47 PM
My first question:Why many producers in Arab Area That produce TV seriese Specially in kuwait refuse to work with Red ?

Esmaeil Neisi
05-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Is it related to sort of lake of Technichal crow or bouget ?

Mohammed El Sharqawy
05-02-2010, 05:27 PM
there is a lot of reasons.. all comes under the lack of knowledge..
in Egypt we are overcoming this a little we have TV series that is being shot on RED now.. but RED ONE rents here for an avarage of LE 5000 a day that's about $900 .. 35mm cameras are much cheaper than this,,

Andrew clemson
05-03-2010, 12:01 AM
not once you add the cost of telecine, surely?

Mohammed El Sharqawy
05-03-2010, 03:31 AM
and for RED ONE people add the cost of DI process which is more expensive than telecine..

Kujtim Ereqi
05-04-2010, 10:15 AM
I would thank Kuijtim very much for pushing the idea..
After being "pushed" from you.

It's really a pleasure to be part of this group..

Kujtim Ereqi
05-04-2010, 10:34 AM
My first question:Why many producers in Arab Area That produce TV seriese Specially in kuwait refuse to work with Red ?

There are several reasons IMO (at least here in Kuwait)
1- They do not shoot those TV series with film. They shoot with HD, which is pretty close to DigiBeta (which they used for so long time). So you can't blame them for not using RED, because shooting with RED is more difficult and costs more than HD. It's a fact that a lot of series do not have enough budget..
2- Most directors are from video background. They are comfortable with the idea of WYSIWYG. When it comes to RED they have to develop new skills to deal with focus, exposure, lenses RAW etc, which is not always an easy thing to do.
3- You can't easily get good CC people. This means that you can't pull out the proper beauty of "raw". With HD cameras the first CC is done on set. With RED you have to do it in post..
4- It's not easy to find crew who know to use RED properly.
5- Many of them believe that RED is not stable, especially in hot conditions. You know Gulf area is a very hot one at summer. Most people are surprised when I tell them that we don't have problems with our RED even in summer.

Mohammed El Sharqawy
05-04-2010, 04:58 PM
1- They do not shoot those TV series with film. They shoot with HD, which is pretty close to DigiBeta (which they used for so long time). So you can't blame them for not using RED, because shooting with RED is more difficult and costs more than HD. It's a fact that a lot of series do not have enough budget..
2- Most directors are from video background. They are comfortable with the idea of WYSIWYG. When it comes to RED they have to develop new skills to deal with focus, exposure, lenses RAW etc, which is not always an easy thing to do.
3- You can't easily get good CC people. This means that you can't pull out the proper beauty of "raw". With HD cameras the first CC is done on set. With RED you have to do it in post..
5- Many of them believe that RED is not stable, especially in hot conditions. You know Gulf area is a very hot one at summer. Most people are surprised when I tell them that we don't have problems with our RED even in summer.

I'd add to this list from my view:
6- people are used to tape workflows.. which already doesn't take much post while they do half of the work on-set (pre-editing on the fly..).. also tape workflows are cheaper and somehow limiting to the crew in terms of acquisition length..

not having heat problems in the summer of kwait?? hey,, that reaches 50C at some time of the summer.. I'm really impressed by this statement.. coz here people complain about heat issues where they have to restart the camera few times during the shoot and we rarely see 40C or 42C in our summer..
is this a user problem?

Mohammed El Sharqawy
05-04-2010, 05:06 PM
After being "pushed" from you.

It's really a pleasure to be part of this group..

Its a Pleasure here too..

May I had used a different word?
you know it happens.. my english isn't that great :-(

Andrew clemson
05-04-2010, 06:31 PM
not having heat problems in the summer of kwait?? hey,, that reaches 50C at some time of the summer.. I'm really impressed by this statement.. coz here people complain about heat issues where they have to restart the camera few times during the shoot and we rarely see 40C or 42C in our summer..
is this a user problem?

Heat isnt an issue as long as you take the correct measures. If you have a camera running 12 hours in direct sun with no cooling or shade its going to crap out. Treat it like a member of the crew (ie give it shade, and a break in the cool every now and then) and you cant go far wrong. We get hit with 50++++ heat and we've never had a single heat crash.

RikiButland
05-05-2010, 01:03 AM
I agree with Andrew, I have never had a heat issue with my camera's, which always surprises me

Ido Karilla
05-05-2010, 01:40 AM

All true here as well, but, we have convinced one TV series to shoot with RED, it was on air last week and you can here the buzzzzzzzzz

It is five chapters each 50 minutes. I think all involved will not shoot something else for long time. The director for sure, the production company, and the channel that understands that RED means quality image and might push for it for its premium productions.
On the expense argue all in all it gets to maybe 10-15 percent more in post. Here in Israel you save in the rental when you shoot RED compared to an HD cam with pro35. So the total difference is less then 10%.

Bottom line I think a lot of TV is going to go RED in the near future.

Esmaeil Neisi
05-23-2010, 01:17 AM
guys Don't you think the Rental fees in golf area is way high ? we Rent our pack with Anamorphic set for 500$ for features,But as Mohamade said it's too high in egapt

Andrew clemson
05-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Guys, dont you think Gear Ads should be kept to specific or dedicated threads? ;)

Rental fees are what they are for a reason. Comparitively there arent as many cameras in this region as in America or Europe. On top of that the cameras that are going cheap tend to be incomplete kits. (and there are a lot of incomplete kits)

Remember costs reflect the overheads in a given country. If your full kit is going out at $500 a day with lenses it must be very cheap to operate a company where you are based.

KamalTerro
05-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi all, I'm a RED one owner and user in Dubai and Beirut, Lebanon so its a great idea to have this group for Middle East to share opinion ,
Thanks Kujtim.

KamalTerro
05-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Heat isnt an issue as long as you take the correct measures. If you have a camera running 12 hours in direct sun with no cooling or shade its going to crap out. Treat it like a member of the crew (ie give it shade, and a break in the cool every now and then) and you cant go far wrong. We get hit with 50++++ heat and we've never had a single heat crash.

I'm with you andrew don't know why some people had that problem i never had this, especially with the desert as yesterday its 45+ and all are happy with the camera,
cheers

KamalTerro
05-23-2010, 12:14 PM
anyone guys shoot with the new optimo rouge zoom lenses from angenieux i try it yesterday they are very nice and lightweight only 1.9kg,
i have all the information if anyone need that

Andrew clemson
05-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Yes, theyre great, if a little pricey. Amaranthine in Al Quoz stocks them. They were kind enough to lend us a short zoom for a shoot and It was superb. Lightweight and sharp. Everything you'd exect from an optimo.

The weight really is the big difference between them and the RED 18-85, even though the RED is cheaper and has pretty much the range of both optimos in one unit.

Esmaeil Neisi
05-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Guys, dont you think Gear Ads should be kept to specific or dedicated threads? ;)

Rental fees are what they are for a reason. Comparitively there arent as many cameras in this region as in America or Europe. On top of that the cameras that are going cheap tend to be incomplete kits. (and there are a lot of incomplete kits)

Remember costs reflect the overheads in a given country. If your full kit is going out at $500 a day with lenses it must be very cheap to operate a company where you are based.

First of all Andrew I'm not advertising in this thread,i just wanted to give an example of what is the reality , if you think UAE is a country that the fees are more than US or Uk i have to say you are totally rung with all of my respect , the fact that lot of production in this region don't run on Red is caused by the rental fees .
it's rung that we think because there aren't that much red one s in this region so we have to put strange fees on our kits that ended with less popularity of this media because of that.
BTW, I don't think if a kit is cheaper than yours It must incomplete kit, well we can provide you buy some stuff i never seen in your adds any more if you like i can mention some for your./ 2 complete red kit soon will be MX /ANA lenses /RPPs/MPs/UPs /occonnor 2575D/occonnor 120EX/
But the 500 kit is a regular kit

RikiButland
05-24-2010, 02:11 AM
No Esmaile the rental fees in the Gulf are not to high, the trouble is everywhere else they are to low. Here we have agreed a price for the rental packages we all feel are fair.
Egypt is a very different market place to the Gulf, We are not Wrong for what we charge.
The trouble is when people all try to under cut each other to get the gig, I have seen many companies go bankrupt in Europe, when they start this nonsense.
$500 for a camera kit is ridiculous,
I hope you can survive, but it is your prerogative, just like it is ours
Here in the UAE, where a year ago 95% of my work was 35mm, now it is probably 90% with the Red, So it seems our clients are very happy with the Red camera and are more than willing to embrace the technology.

Andrew clemson
05-24-2010, 02:54 AM
BTW, I don't think if a kit is cheaper than yours It must incomplete kit, well we can provide you buy some stuff i never seen in your adds any more if you like i can mention some for your./ 2 complete red kit soon will be MX /ANA lenses /RPPs/MPs/UPs /occonnor 2575D/occonnor 120EX/
But the 500 kit is a regular kit

Dude, If you want to send out $1000 of rental gear for $500, $400 or $0.50 thats your perogative. Congratulations on having so much gear. I maintain that our kits are concise, and include everything you need to shoot. I didn't say that anything less than what we offered was "incomplete".

My point is that a large percentage of the kits in DUBAI are laughably under-equipped. We regularly get phone calls from DPs who are without LCDs, batteries, or even recording media for the kits they have been supplied. I have DIT'd jobs on other cameras where there was only 1 320GB drive for a 2 day shoot. It is these guys who are charging the Low "bargain" prices.

If you operated in this country instead of spamming your ads like crazy in every region you would know what I was talking about. My issue comes from people being based in one country then advertising low and thus undercutting a local market in another.

RikiButland
05-24-2010, 03:10 AM
Andrew I totally agree

Esmaeil Neisi
05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Andrew,again you got my point rung,I never gonna rent a pack with Lenses For 500 In UAE,I know a company in kuwait how Rent his red pack for 2000 P/Day .so I'm asking you do you think this company will be broke or some one who rent for fair fee?
Also have to add that I like the idea of RIKI for agreed fee in local rent and will rent as you guy do and think it's good fee for gUlf area.
With all of my respect to you andrew And Mr RIKI

Richard Ramos
10-03-2010, 06:00 AM
Hi people. I am in. I am based in Sharjah UAE actually. I need a Mate Box soon. Where can I get one please? Which model do you advise considering conditions in the Gulf.
Telf: +97150 4534893

Richard Ramos
Cameraman/Editor

Moauyed Zabtia
10-22-2010, 09:34 AM
hello

first red one camera MX just arrival in Tripoli Libya here with us, as I have to shoot some film and I hope to start shot my next TV drama with red.
my site: www.mouayed.com

RikiButland
12-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi Richard I would really recommend Arri Matt box they will last forever. Buy the best buy once.

Andrew clemson
12-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Riki is right, as with anything in this game, if you buy cheap youll pay more in the long run.