PDA

View Full Version : Redcine-X first color correction

Shawn Seifert
04-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Hi Red community.

Very long time reader, rare poster. I thought I understood a way to work with .r3d files in post, but I've come across a problem.

I'm working on a red project which was edited with FCP. I capture the footage using Log and Transfer to proress 422 (proxy).

My plan was then to go back into Redcine-x to do a first color correction with only the clips I've used in the final edit (about 20 or so), then re long and transfer those select .r3ds to Proress 4444 files in FCP to send to color for a full CC.

I've run into a problem with Redcine-x. When I adjust the colour settings of the .r3d files, it appears to be only be making the change with in redcine-x. It was my understanding that changes within Redcine-x would carry over to the .r3d files in other programs. (I understand it's all just meta data and not permenat changes).

I know I can just export the .r3ds from Redcine-x to which ever format I would like, however, it has become excruciatingly slow to do so on my computer. (which is a whole other issue, because it didn't use to be so slow...I wasn't going to bring it up, but perhaps this relates to my issue?)

So what am I doing wrong here? Have I misunderstood how can I use redcine-x within my workflow? Or is there something else going on here?

Thanks,
Shawn

Project Specifics:
Shot on Build 30 non MX Red One.
Computer: 27' iMac core i7. (Obviously no RedRocket)
Software: FCP 7, Redcine-X 227

James Page
05-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi Shawn, the issue you're facing is that as soon as you transcode the R3Ds you "bake in" whatever settings you had at the time. To make changes, you have to transcode again.

Johnny Friday
05-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I keep hearing great things about using clipfinder if you want to go back with an XML.

Personally i do my first color grade in redcine-x, then back to prores 4444, and then go back to FCP and Color.

BUT that said, new Redcine-x (build 221) seems to have some transcode issues within the new beta QT component. Colors not coming out as you see them in redcine-x. So, unless you go WAY back to redcine v. 20 (as i've tested), you don't have perfect results transcoding to prores at moment.

But that is how i've done this up till now. AWAITING a new build from Red to incorporate improved QT component.

Good luck