PDA

View Full Version : Windows and ProRes...

Aaron Hucker
04-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Just wondering if it is possible to Transcode to ProRes on a PC through RCX ?

Also, Is RCX ever going to be designed to allow us NON-ROCKET users to transcode using more then 2 cores?

Thanks

Tom.Wong
04-27-2010, 11:12 AM
the only way of encoding pro res that i know of on a pc is either A. emulate mac os on ur pc, B. i've seen it done with a telestream and other pieces of software.

other than that, there is no pro ress encoding codec for PC, just a decoder for playback.

Alexander Ibrahim
04-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Is ProRes specifically important, or do you just need a good codec that plays well with Final Cut?

If so I recommend Avid DNxHD

http://www.avid.com/US/solutions/workflow/DNxHD-Codec

Tom.Wong
04-27-2010, 03:29 PM
if u wanna shell out a few bux, Cineform works cross platform and gives competitive results compared to DNxHD and Pro ress.

Aaron Hucker
04-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the quick replies,

ProRes is the heart of almost everything we do, I was just looking for a quick and cheap transcode machine (pc) to free up a mac pro for more edit time. Looks like I have to push harder for a Rocket card.

Tom.Wong
04-28-2010, 10:25 AM
IMAC

Eric Ulbrich
04-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Dnxhd is compliant w final cut studio?

Alexander Ibrahim
04-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Dnxhd is compliant w final cut studio?

Yes DNxHD works with Final Cut Pro.

You can use just about any Quicktime Codec you have installed on your Mac with Final Cut.

DNxHD gives good results. I prefer ProRes, but that is being very nitpicky, DNxHD is very good and in most applications is indistinguishable from ProRes.

Eric Ulbrich
04-28-2010, 12:54 PM
But doesn't dnxhd require you to render each clip in the timeline if you modify them?

Tom.Wong
04-28-2010, 01:04 PM
depends on ur computer horse power, real time settings, and what kind of modifcations you are doing on them. But with DNx installed, the NLE can recognize it as a native codec it can edit, and it's also a intra frame codec allowing for lower render times, if you put a 3 way CC, few transitions, speed changes, size changes, and a picture in picture, yes you are going to have to render no matter what your using. But using a native intra frame codec will give you faster render times. Pro Res is optimized for FCP so i would expect to see much faster render times than DNX, unless you are using a lower bandwidth version of DNX as an offline like dnxhd 36, then u can expect faster render times along with pro res proxy LT and so on so forth.

Eric Ulbrich
04-28-2010, 01:26 PM
But it's not as bad as say h.264 whic requires prores conversion to edit in fcp.

Tom.Wong
04-28-2010, 01:31 PM
won't be, solely because intra frame vs long gop. long gop will give you more render times cause it is more highly compressed, and gives you frame estimation on what frame you are at in the timeline, rather than showing your true frame. those more render times cause it's always trying to figure out where you are at, uncompressing and recompressing as you are scrubbing along. if you are working in FCP. stick with pro res, my 2 cents.