PDA

View Full Version : RCX slow with RR

roryhinds
06-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Anyone else finding REDCINE-X 221 is super slow rending out using the RED Rocket?

I'm rending out a 4k MX clip 23fps @ HD 720 with TC burn and it takes 9 minutes to render out a 2 minute clip.

Now in RocketCine-X it renders out in 2 minutes.

What gives?

CJ Roy
06-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Same here, and every other rocket owner I know is experiencing 2-3 tines realtime. RedcineX is not realtime in terms of transcoding. No idea what's going on with it.

roryhinds
06-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Hey CJ, how you getting around this? Are you using RocketCine-X?

Yeah RCX is alpha for sure, there are so many issue with it it makes me want to scream :-)

CJ Roy
06-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm trying to use RocketCine as much as possible but most of my clients want MXF files and RCX's MXF's don't have the frame error that RocketCine does. Also some DP's want looks with the LGG, so I'm using both and RCX reluctantly.

roryhinds
06-02-2010, 02:22 PM
have you tried setting up the grades in RCX and doing the renders in RocketCineX?

Can't wait for STORM, we really need a working toolset for all this RED footage, its really has been the horn in RED's side not having a "as advertised" post tool for r3d's

James Rayburn
06-02-2010, 07:53 PM
... but most of my clients want MXF files and RCX's MXF's don't have the frame error that RocketCine does.

We just recently got our RedRocket card, and will be making almost exclusively MXF media.

I'm not familiar with the "frame error" problem. Is that something we should keep our eye on while using RocketCine? Is there a thread for this already somewhere?

Thanks,

-James

CJ Roy
06-03-2010, 10:27 AM
have you tried setting up the grades in RCX and doing the renders in RocketCineX?

Yes, but if you're using the LGG (Lift Gamma Gain) with Tangent Wave or Euphonix, it won't translate over to RocketCineX.

We just recently got our RedRocket card, and will be making almost exclusively MXF media.

I'm not familiar with the "frame error" problem. Is that something we should keep our eye on while using RocketCine? Is there a thread for this already somewhere?

Thanks,

-James

The error happens when you import into Avid, and then check the clips inside the bin. The errors says something about the clip have 1 more frame than it should, and this disables viewing or scrubbing of the clip. The only solution is to make a subclip of the clip, minus 1 frame.

For some post houses, it's no problem. Others just don't want to deal with the hassle.