View Full Version : Jan Reiff - Germany
07-01-2011, 11:19 PM
07-02-2011, 01:53 AM
07-02-2011, 04:07 AM
Tonight we will start testing some night shots for an upcoming project.
right now playing with hdrx without big knowledge, but it´s really fun what you get with entering one simple button in RCX.
no grading, just 1:1 in RCX and activating hdrx.
the room is really dark, open lense - outside high noon bright sun ... a killer... :w00t:
thanks for this camera! supporting our art and filmmaking so much right now.
07-02-2011, 04:14 AM
enjoy your cam.
07-02-2011, 04:17 AM
Be sure, i will !
Best wishes from the very South of Germany to Berlin!
07-02-2011, 04:27 AM
Jan, das ding ist der Knaller.
i shoot since getting it in june 24/7
there are some cool configurations, drop me a mail to chat about it
07-02-2011, 05:49 AM
Congrats Jan, good to see more EPIC M coming to Europe... ;)
07-02-2011, 05:55 AM
07-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Congrats Jan, see you in a week or two.
I´ll buy you beer until you´ll pass out ;)
07-02-2011, 07:06 AM
07-02-2011, 07:59 AM
i will take care of the beers for manuel ;-)
07-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Sounds great, Martin ;)
Bring along your Bomb EVF and we´ll have a great time.
07-02-2011, 02:31 PM
i did a short HDR test (just jumped out of the car). and iam speechless what i saw in redcine.
i attached the images, sorry for low quality, but i am in the mountains for a shoot and slow internet here...
this caravan was shot few minutes at sunset.
the one image shows the exposure without hdrx, to keep the sky i had to close the lense and the caravan was dark. no surprise (even in this normal exposure is lots of information in the shadows and it would be useable to achieve a nice image in the post with masks)
so, normally you have to use lights or masks in postproduction ...
but now, we have epic.
i simply used the hdr modus, in redcine i got this amazing hdr image. it´s just pushing the blend button and and correct the new image until it looks great. i used +6. or +5. not sure honestly. and for the hdr image i used a light grade filter for the top of the sky (without mattebox, just put it on with the hand).
iam really impressed about this tool. a big applause to all at red.
i will report more experience with epic later, positive and some small issues.
07-02-2011, 03:08 PM
i want to give my experiences to the red team of the first days with my Epic M:
first, the quality - as said before - is simply great - and hdrx is superb. low light (i will do more tests tomorrow) is perfect too.
so many positive things: booting time, design, quality, menu setting ...
so the thing is to tell the (small) issues i experienced (nothing what i would call dramatic)
- i had (in 2 days of testing) 2 times a "freeze" of the system. after restarting no problem. - this was not the "power spike error" - so this is for this stage of firmware not really dramatic.
- i had one bug with the magnify 1:1 zoom, the image was cut in two pieces. restart. and working again. so, not really a huge problem. never appeared again.
- i had one "freeze" of the redmote. after restarting no problem.
- sometimes i have no touchscreen control with my fingers. when i change to the buttons on the sidehandle to set the menu for 2-3 times the touchscreen works well again.
- only a short time "issue": i hope really to get the battery volts soon, attaching the big bricks is a bit contraproductive for the whole idea of this camera.
- playback: ok, it will come. after slowmotion you would like to play back to check - so i hope it will be there in the near future.
- 5K 16:9 or HD would be nice in the near future
in general the camera works solid, what you can produce with Epic is, indeed, the best digital image of motion pictures ever seen - everybody who is in the line for Epic M or X has made the right decision.
i will continue testing available light in the night and slowmotion stuff soon.
04-13-2012, 01:34 AM
i was 9 years old, getting my first camera, called "C-3PO" (no surprise, we tried to shoot same like star wars, so "C-3PO") - it was the first nizo braun from 7 i owned (and still have).
31 years later epic m came in in june 2011.
31 years, ... ufffz. where is the time going?
04-13-2012, 05:59 AM
Wow, I started with the same Nizo.
It´s great to see a 35mm digital cam from today is just a little bit bigger!