PDA

View Full Version : Avid 5.5.2 dailies from DaVinci Resolve System?

Amarshall
07-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Looking for a little help figuring out the workflow on a show I'm starting. Shooting RED, DP and DMT want to set color looks with Resolve. However, resolve does not produce AAF or ALE files for Avid Media. Only MXF files. How can I get the same elements that Red CINE X was giving me with Resolve? Is there a way to merge RED CINE X AAF and ALE with MXF media from Resolve?

Suggestions much appreciated.

Aaron.

M Most
07-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Looking for a little help figuring out the workflow on a show I'm starting. Shooting RED, DP and DMT want to set color looks with Resolve. However, resolve does not produce AAF or ALE files for Avid Media. Only MXF files. How can I get the same elements that Red CINE X was giving me with Resolve? Is there a way to merge RED CINE X AAF and ALE with MXF media from Resolve?

Suggestions much appreciated.

Aaron.

1. Resolve 8 can export an ALE file.

2. You don't need one because all metadata is already in the MXF files. Put them in a numbered folder under the Avid MediaFiles/MXF tree and when Avid starts up it will create a database file in that folder (the .mdb file). Drag that file into a bin and all of your master clips will appear complete with any metadata.

Amarshall
07-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks Most. That does get the video files in, but without the embedded sound and with only the most basic metadata. The Timecode is there, but there is no source file info and the tape column is the name of the database file repeated with ascending numbers after it for each clip(.01,.02 etc).

I think I need a solution that merges the output of RedCine X for data and audio with the output of Resolve for picture.

MichaelP
07-11-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't think REDCINE X can export just an ALE from a batch selection. I need to check, but I haven't seen that option. It would be useful for not only this workflow, but for proxy recorders using the HD-SDI from the camera.

Michael

Von Thomas
07-11-2011, 01:41 PM
I know it was stated above, but can you break it down very simply? I don't know Avid. I'm creating Avid files, and I need to QC them, but alas, I'm dumb when it come to Avid. I have a numbered folded with my MXF files, but what do I do with the AAF's and the ale. As I mentioned I don't need the edit, just watch. Also what should my preference settings be. Thank you in advance.

Von

Eric Santiago
07-11-2011, 02:05 PM
I know it was stated above, but can you break it down very simply? I don't know Avid. I'm creating Avid files, and I need to QC them, but alas, I'm dumb when it come to Avid. I have a numbered folded with my MXF files, but what do I do with the AAF's and the ale. As I mentioned I don't need the edit, just watch. Also what should my preference settings be. Thank you in advance.

VonCurrently all I can say is that move AAF files into a bin. Move MXF files into the Avid folder structure e.g. Avid MediaFiles > MXF > 1. Then open Media Tool, select all drives and gather info. Your AAF will link to MXF.
Now can someone please tell me if this is Avids official steps? Im confused as to why the PDF on their site still states ROCKETCineX?

Amarshall
07-11-2011, 02:16 PM
If you just want to see the media you've created copy your .MXF files into the numbered avid media files folder and drag and drop the matching AAF files into a new bin (make sure your project settings match your media settings when you setup a new project). They should relink automatically, but you may have to relink them manually by choosing "relink" from the "clip" menu and following the prompts. This will create a bin with the clips you can view by double clicking on.

Eric Santiago
07-11-2011, 02:21 PM
If you just want to see the media you've created copy your .MXF files into the numbered avid media files folder and drag and drop the matching AAF files into a new bin (make sure your project settings match your media settings when you setup a new project). They should relink automatically, but you may have to relink them manually by choosing "relink" from the "clip" menu and following the prompts. This will create a bin with the clips you can view by double clicking on.
Now is this the official Avid way? Ive been searching all day for solid answers and found an older PDF with Avid using ROCKETCineX? Found it at www.avid.com/red site.

Bruce Allen
07-11-2011, 02:43 PM
I think that the answer is that DaVinci Resolve isn't perfect for making dailies yet as it wasn't originally intended for a data-centric RED dailies workflow. But it's moving in that direction and is close enough that many of us are jumping the gun and using it anyway :)

I concur - copying over the MXFs into Avid MediaFiles is the current way to go that we're using.

BTW, given their rate of progress, I'm sure Resolve will have all kinks sorted out soon.

I think I read on the CreativeCow site that the Blackmagic guys said that they wanted to improve the audio output part (eg the fact that Resolve can't output audio embedded in R3D files) but had to focus on OpenCL, noise reduction, multilayer timeline etc for the v8.0 release?

Fingers crossed for full audio output plus dailies + Avid roundtrip with lots of metadata etc. I'm sure they are working on it. For now though, the advantages of using Resolve outweigh its limitations.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

Amarshall
07-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Hey Bruce,

Thanks for the info. So, just to be clear, you're making MXF media with Reslove and simply copying those MXF files into an Avid Media Files folder and using the media tool to make clips in a bin. Is that right? Any other Resolve settings I should be aware of? My main concerns are correct and consistent RED Filename info and TimeCode so we don't end up with matchback issues when it comes time to go the other way.

Thanks,

Aaron.

M Most
07-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Embedded sound is not available at the moment. As for the tape name, that is dependent on the setting on your Settings page. It's not very self explanatory or even logical, but the setting for "assist using tape names from:" section actually assigns the tape name based on that setting when you put clips into the media pool. So, for instance, if you set it to use the clip name and set up the formatting string correctly, it will set the tape name to be the R3D file name, and it will include that in any MXF file you export for that clip. You can also use the embedded header name, which will sometimes evaluate to the first four places of the file name, and sometimes to the entire file name. As I said, a bit obtuse, but pretty simple once you understand it.

M Most
07-11-2011, 02:56 PM
What you interpreted Bruces post as is essentially correct, but as I said earlier, you don't really have to use the Media Tool. Just drag the database file into a bin directly from a finder window and you'll get all the clips.

Amarshall
07-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Ok, this is all working, but I'm still concerned about how we're going to deal with conforming for color correct at the end. The Avid won't let me update the "Source File" or "tape" columns in the bin with the RED File names (they come up blank). How can I make an EDL with the RED file name info for color correction down the road? Or is there a completely different method?

M Most
07-12-2011, 04:04 PM
If you generate the MXF files with the correct formatting string as I described it, the tape name will be the file name. If the tape column in the Avid bin is blank, you didn't generate the MXF files correctly.

Amarshall
07-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Ok, one last question: We've got this all working now with Resolve populating the Tape column when the files are imported. HOWEVER, my first two days of footage do not have this and need to be updated (and re-graded, it turns out). Simply swapping out the media for new renders from Resolve doesn't work - the files won't relink (because different data is in the "tape" field). Is there a quick, mass way to fix this or do I have to Unlink and modify the source of every single one of these clips?

M Most
07-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Ok, one last question: We've got this all working now with Resolve populating the Tape column when the files are imported. HOWEVER, my first two days of footage do not have this and need to be updated (and re-graded, it turns out). Simply swapping out the media for new renders from Resolve doesn't work - the files won't relink (because different data is in the "tape" field). Is there a quick, mass way to fix this or do I have to Unlink and modify the source of every single one of these clips?

Neither.

Avid uses two things to relink MXF files, timecode and tape name (if you're using AMA, it uses Source File and timecode). Since your files don't have that, they will not relink under any circumstances. Your best bet is probably to make new files and overcut whatever you've used already with them, then use the new files only from here on out. That might not be as bad as you think, because the time codes will be the same.

Von Thomas
07-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info Eric, and the rest of you.

Von

Eric Santiago
07-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the info Eric, and the rest of you.

VonI forgot to tell you that if you move the MXF into the Avid MediaFiles folder structure (I create a special one for my R3D export e.g. Avid MediaFiles > MXF > 11 (from Spinal Tap ;)
When you drag the AAF into an empty bin (I suggest this) they will auto link to the MXF. No need for Media Tools.