PDA

View Full Version : Possible low budget feature in Tokyo

Ryan Samul
12-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Hello-

I'm a New York based DP who shoots mainly features and there is a possibility that I may be doing a feature in Tokyo next year in March with a completely local crew. I just have some preliminary questions about how features are produced in Japan.

I know the delineation of responsibilities for Grips, Electrics, Camera Assistants, Assistant Directors, Art Department (Props, Production Designers, set dressers), Production Department (Producer, Line Producer, UPM, PA, interns), etc. are different in different countries (ex. England or China) but I have no experience with how Japanese crews work, especially in a low budget situation ($500,000 usd, aprox ¥38,000,000 jpy). Is there even an infrastructure set up for such a low budget feature? How is the power set up (110/220V, 50htz, 60htz)? What are the ranges of rates for lower budget features? What are the crew sizes? Do many US low budget features come through and if so what is the translator situation like? I understand that a significant number of people in Tokyo speak English, is an interpreter even necessary?What is a typical workday length? what is a typical work week length? Etc, Etc...

I realize these are very general questions, and answers are specific to each project, but I'm just trying to get an accurate feel for what will happen. I want to be as aware as possible so I can speak with knowledge when the time comes.

I appreciate any assistance, please PM me with any kind of answers or suggestions you may have.

Thank you
Ryan Samul

Stephen Lovett
12-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Hi Ryan,

I'd recommend you contact Kaku Ito here on the forumn.

Best,

Steve

David Collard
12-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Also try International Motion Picture Company for assistance. It's primarily what they do on low budgets.
•*Translation situation is great. Have you been there recently? An interpreter in the form of a first A.D. could do the job.
• Work day, work week = About the same. Just be nice and don't overwork people. You'll have a ball.
Good luck.

Paul Leeming
12-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi Ryan,

I'm based in Tokyo and as a native English speaker (and the first and most experienced Red shooter in the country) I'm more than happy to help.

I've PM'ed you my email address (or you can get it from my website linked below) so we can chat further.

Cheers from Tokyo!

Paul :)

Vincent Follézou
12-05-2011, 04:36 AM
Hi Ryan

Paul is definitely the RED guy here in Japan. Very positive men and I always learn a lot being at his side.

KenjiHIBI-photographerJPN
12-05-2011, 05:30 AM
Hi.

Here is one good production just You can handle only use English,and perfect support all production thing in Japan.

http://www.twentyfirstcity.com/

And Kaku Ito is best DIT and helpful guy with knowledge in Japan.

Paul Leeming
12-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Hi Ryan

Paul is definitely the RED guy here in Japan. Very positive men and I always learn a lot being at his side.
Thanks Vincent! Always happy to share my knowledge :)

Cheers,

Michael Lofquist
12-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi Ryan

I've directed a couple of shorts in Tokyo and working on a feature film project with a major Japanese production company at the moment.

Translators are required, Japanese are hesitant to speak any foreign language unless they think they are fluent. And a lot of people don't speak English that well.

FYI in Japanese productions the DP does not do the lighting, there is a lighting DP that deals with that. Just so you know.

Cheers

Michael

Kaku Ito
12-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Michael,

Us at Rawesome! is establishing a group of people who can work more western ways. Drop by at our studio and it could change your views a little.

http://www.rawesome.info

Michael Lofquist
12-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Kaku

Will do when I return to Tokyo early next year

Cheers

Michael

Peter Strietmann
12-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Hi Ryan,

I shot a feature in Japan a couple of years ago and I have to say the Japanese crew was extraordinary. Their work ethic was beyond belief. I'm sure who ever you go with will treat you well.

Paul Leeming
12-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Hi Ryan,

I shot a feature in Japan a couple of years ago and I have to say the Japanese crew was extraordinary. Their work ethic was beyond belief. I'm sure who ever you go with will treat you well.
They work really hard here, that's for sure! :D

Part of that is due to there being no unions though, so the down side is there are no protections against getting overworked etc.

Either way, we definitely look after the crews that visit and shoot here :)

Cheers from Tokyo,