PDA

View Full Version : Where to look in LA for Camera Assisting gigs.

Alan Certeza
02-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Hey LA peeps,

I am in the process of considering on moving to LA in late June '12 and I was seeking out any information, resources, links, call-boards, or websites for potential work.

I come from a Camera Assistant background with experience on S16,S35, and most Digital Cinema formats. Unfortunately I am not a Local 600 nor am I anyway near the hours to join.

I'm seeking for any advice on getting started without having to resort to Craigslist for "GREAT EXPERIENCE" or "MEET GREAT PEOPLE" kind of jobs.

I am not looking to get rich, but just to pay rent and follow my passion for motion pictures.

I am not bigger than a Camera PA nor a Grip. I am willing to take the punches and "pay my dues", just crossing my fingers for any direction.

I see a lot of Local600 and Camera Assistants on the forum who also own R1MX.

Does owning a R1MX/Scarlet help with getting work? Also what kind of productions normally rent from you? Or long run, the camera ends up sitting in its case but you still get work as a Camera Assistant?

I see some R1MX/Scarlet/Epic rentals on CL and is that a good way to attract work? In Seattle, CL isn't the greatest place for work for motion pictures, is it different in LA?

Thank you for taking you time to read this long message and any information is much appreciated!!!!

Thanks again.

-Alan

Marc Wielage
02-19-2012, 01:54 AM
The business sucks, but you know that!

Check out Geoff Boyle's Cinematography Mailing List (CML):

http://www.cinematography.net/

Join that and read all the past discussions for at least the last 6 months or so. There's many, many discussions and debates on jobs, pay rates, technology, and other issues. I have no doubt they have specific comments on how people break in to the industry.

One way a friend of mine did it was to intern at a small LA camera rental house, then eventually gravitated to a bigger house, came in contact with quite a few name DPs, and eventually started assisting for them on small projects. There is no direct route beyond hard work, being lucky, and meeting the right people. Some talented people don't make it; some untalented people get very successful; and sometimes, very talented people become very successful. You never know.

Be sure to have a backup plan. This is a tough town.

Alan Certeza
02-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Very cool. Thanks Marc, I'll check out that link. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.