PDA

View Full Version : comparisons

Patrick Jennings
01-20-2008, 09:31 AM
a lot of people are thinking this thing is going to be the size of a hvx or ex1...... it a POCKET camera.. but that doesn't mean it won't be awesome :D

comparisons....

hv20 -

specs
- 1/2.7" CMOS chip
- 24p 1440x1080 uncompressed 4:2:2 output
- onboard HDV compression to tape
- price = $600

problems
- low rez monitor
- no XLR
- limited manual control
- ISO 80

sumix SMX-12A2C -

specs
- 2/3" chip
- C mount
- 60p 1920x1080 12bit uncompressed output
- onboard lossless image compression - i think it's mjpg?
- Weight: 198 g (this thing is small)
- Dimensions (W x L x H): 50 x 80 x 50 mm
- price = $2000

problems
- need computer to control it and capture and monitor
- no audio

scarlet -

specs
- 2/3" or 16mm chip
- 60p 2K
- onboard redcode to CF cards
- multiple lens mounts
- 3.5" 640x480 LCD (same as sony EX1)
- HV20 sized (maybe a touch smaller)
- price = $2000-3000

problems
- not available today

i think red might release a line of lenses to go with it, possibly ones with auto-focus. also they'll have a breakout box with XLR inputs similar to the sony A1.

this camera would be my dream camera, the iso rating on it would be amazing. it would be the perfect camera to use with a 35mm adapter :D

with the sumix camera, a mac mini running windows, and a 7" touch-screen LCD monitor.. you can build a scarlet for about $3000 - i just want red to do the building for me :D

ColinSmith
01-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Well, Brook's Scarlet sticky has pocket-sized in the "what we don't know" category.....

I think if you are really being strict on pocket-sized, it takes you down to something no bigger than an ipod, including lens, and that makes it hard to square with "professional".

I wonder if putting those 2 concepts together was a way to generate discussion and find out what balance of size/features people were interested in......

Ethan Cooper
01-20-2008, 01:57 PM
If a fully operational RedOne costs @ $30,000 why do people keep thinking that Scarlet will come on around $3,000? I think that people shooting that low on the price are setting themselves up for disappointment. If it's truly professional, I don't expect it to be less than $6,000.
________
New jersey dispensaries (http://newjersey.dispensaries.org/)

Juan Kaballero
01-20-2008, 04:14 PM
If you take the front (5cm)and the rear (5cm)of the RED ONE you get the scarlet!

*RGB instead off Raw
*720p/1080p instead off 4K
*2xlr for sound (+micro) and hdmi out
*hd lcd build on
*2cf card slots
*a hand grip like the 8mm camera

and voila, it's done!!!

Fergus Meiklejohn
01-20-2008, 04:18 PM
If it's too small/light it's useless for handheld work because you need inertia to keep your hand still. Small is ok.. Feather light is not. IMO

Brook Willard
01-20-2008, 05:20 PM
It's been announced as "pocket" - but we don't know how big the pocket is.

Bing Bailey
01-20-2008, 06:11 PM
wouldn't make more sense to mass produce the same sensor. economies of scale and all that. it would bring the profit up on the red one. even if its a 4k sensor but only hits the cf cards at 2k or 1080p

Ethan Cooper
01-20-2008, 08:00 PM
I'd think that if you stuck the Mysterium sensor in Scarlet and then crippled it to only do 2K you'd have a lot of the same people wanting the camera to only cost $2,000 crying that it was unfair to cripple their perfectly good 4K sensor. If I were Red I'd like to avoid that headache.
I'd imagine their Mysterium supplier can produce a similar but cheaper 2K chip for them. But then again I know next to nothing about the actual manufacturing end of the business.
________
Chrysler l platform history (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_L_platform)

jbeale
01-20-2008, 10:17 PM
The economics of chip manufacturing are ALL about die size. A chip half the size (total area) is less than half the cost, due to defect rates among other things. Also, the overall size of a camera scales with the chip size. A big chip needs a big lens, other things being equal. The only "pocket" camera I can imagine that had a S35 chip would necessarily have an optically slow fixed wide-angle lens. Probably not what most people want.

Fergus Meiklejohn
01-21-2008, 12:03 AM
It's been announced as "pocket" - but we don't know how big the pocket is.

Yeah and I reckon Jim has very deep pockets.. :)

sceneeast
01-21-2008, 02:47 AM
A pocket is a small bag, particularly a bag-like receptacle either fastened to or inserted in an article of clothing. Cargo pants have pockets with an extra large capacity.

In European clothing pockets began by being hung like purses from a belt, which could be concealed beneath a coat or jerkin and reached through a slit in the outer garment.

Bob

sceneeast
01-21-2008, 03:08 AM
How many of these do we need for Scarlet?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/20/osu-and-darpa-building-uav-nano-planes-that-can-fit-in-a-pocket/