PDA

View Full Version : LOOM

Jarred Land
04-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Come to the RED booth tomorrow to see " LOOM " presented on REDray Projector and Player in our theater.. in 3D

http://www.redgrabs.com/up/1334613204.jpg

Bob Gundu
04-16-2012, 12:12 AM
It's coming together... See you guys in the morning!

Brandon J.F.
04-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Wow! I hate myself for not being at NAB :)

Detlev Eller
04-16-2012, 12:13 AM
uh!

Kristin Stewart
04-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Great, I hope there will be some pictures on the internet for those who can't attend the screening ! Is it Ridley Scott's son ?

Antonio Forjaz
and when will we (the unlucky ones that did not get to NAB) get the chance to watch this film on-line?

Gunleik Groven
Been a good year for you Jarred? :)

Jannard
04-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Yes. And he is very talented.

Jim

Great, I hope there will be some pictures on the internet for those who can't attend the screening ! Is it Ridley Scott's son ?

Ryan Nichols
04-16-2012, 12:16 AM
With Wolski as a DP? Bet it’s amazing. That guy is one of the best of the best.

Steven Caesare
04-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Will this be playing all week at the RED booth at NAB?Great party tonight guys... thanks a bunch!

Ketch Rossi
04-16-2012, 12:39 AM
He he, that is what Ridley meant when He said that was LOOM... ;)

Detlev Eller
04-16-2012, 12:44 AM
... Gravity is: ON ... ;-)

Tony Lorentzen
04-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Can't wait to see this tomorrow, guys. Was a bit disappointed that nothing was announced at the event tonight, but the more I think about it - this kind of announcing is so great because everyone - including those not attending NAB - gets to take part in it. I found both Michael Cioni and Jim's speeches to be very motivational and inspirational. Thanks for a great event.

Jarred Land
04-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Can't wait to see this tomorrow, guys. Was a bit disappointed that nothing was announced at the event tonight, but the more I think about it - this kind of announcing is so great because everyone - including those not attending NAB - gets to take part in it. I found both Michael Cioni and Jim's speeches to be very motivational and inspirational. Thanks for a great event.

Exactly :)

Jerrod Cordell
04-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Will there be an online version available like you guys did with TATTOO last year. I definitely want to see this.

Will Keir
04-16-2012, 01:17 AM
nice group of updates, keep up the good work guys.

Kevin Marshall
04-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Will there be an online version available like you guys did with TATTOO last year. I definitely want to see this.
Second this request - even though it would be in "only" 2K/1080p :P

Hans Magnus Kvåle
04-16-2012, 01:19 AM
Arg.. +1 :(

Wow! I hate myself for not being at NAB :)

Demetri Zuev
04-16-2012, 02:08 AM
Jim, is this shot on a "dragonized" Epic?

Jannard
04-16-2012, 02:13 AM
No. EPIC M-X.

Dragon sensors not ready until the end of this year.

Jim

Jim, is this shot on a "dragonized" Epic?

Raphael Varandas
04-16-2012, 03:26 AM
Exactly :)

Apreciate that Guys. See you guys in the next event.:( My first NAB not in Vegas since RED was born.

George Petersen
04-16-2012, 03:36 AM
Red Looms large!

Wayne Morellini
04-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Come to the RED booth tomorrow to see " LOOM " presented on REDray Projector and Player in our theater.. in 3D

http://www.redgrabs.com/up/1334613204.jpg

Hey, that is the look I was going for. Preceeders {:( ;)

Wish him the best, if that poster was his work, he has a potentially long career ahead of him.

Emmanuel Pampuri
04-16-2012, 08:11 AM
i will be at the booth for watching the future, very soon ...

C.H.Haskell
04-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Very much looking forward to seeing this. Please share!

Álex Montoya
04-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Will the rest of us be able to watch a 2K online version anytime soon?

Michael Schrengohst
04-16-2012, 09:49 AM
I like it: LOOM Rhymes with BOOM & DOOM :ihih:

Jesper Sichlau
04-16-2012, 10:18 AM

+2

... and I still want to see the Peter Jackson shortfilm... I wonder if I ever get the chance?

Dave Archer
04-16-2012, 02:29 PM
I guessed a Hobbit trailer....missed again.A Ridley Scott Production short...Incredible .

Stivan Widick
04-16-2012, 06:37 PM
I watched LOOM this morning and was blown away. It is a stunning movie; gorgeous to watch, beautifully acted--it pulled me right in and never let go. I saw it in the same theater pack as actor Giovanni Ribisi who told me this was the first time he'd seen it as well, and he was just as impressed. He said they shot it in only 5 days!

This was also the first time that 3D fully sold me. The 3D just looked natural. Everything was fully in the round. There was no cardboard cutout effect. It was just--real. The RED laser projector prototype at NAB right now really is a work in progress. Today it's showing 2 x 2K images per 3D frame in 8-bit color. Jim Jannard said that by Wednesday it would hopefully be showing 2 x 4K images per frame in 10-bit color. I wish I was sticking around this year to see that. Unfortunately I'm on a plane now on my way back to NYC.

Will Wernick
04-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Totally blown away. In so many ways this was the best 3d I have ever seen. And the projector isn't even near production form. Amazing!

Scott Snare
04-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Very Very cool! The low light material was amazing. 3D image bright enough to hold up the low light material. Could never work with today's projection technology and the terrible low light 3D shown at most theaters today.

Terry VerHaar
04-16-2012, 07:01 PM
I am not a big 3D fan. For the first time, 3D seemed natural in this film; subtle enough that you didn't really notice but it really added a lot. Perhaps it's as simple as the simultaneous projection for both eyes but it was really excellent!!!!

Phil Holland
04-16-2012, 07:19 PM
I really enjoyed Loom. Lot's of difficult shots in there too. Looked great via laser projection.

Chris McKechnie
04-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Can't wait for the 4k in each eye. :-0 It was pretty stellar though.

robert browning
04-16-2012, 08:25 PM
I saw Loom today, as well. I've never been one to like 3D much, but there was one shot when Ribisi answered the door that really got my attention. They did a rack focus that re6ally brought the 3D out in a way that I've never seen. I mean it really popped. Well done.

Kevin Wild
04-16-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm also not a fan of 3d normally. I would rather have seen this in 2D, but that's just me. I really LOVED the low light work. It looked stellar. There were some shots with 3d issues (offsets? I don't know how to describe it) but Jim did say this unit was barely Beta, so I certainly will withhold judgement. Mostly the film really rocked and showed how exciting it's going to be do watch 4/5/6K work played back on the RED Laser. Cannot wait for that to come out.

I'm glad they showed this as-is, though. Thought not perfect, it really showed HUGE promise.

Kevin

NormLi
04-16-2012, 08:38 PM
I was inspired and blown away as well. It was really beautiful. Obviously the work speaks for itself with director and DP ;)
Finally 4K acquisition and exhibition is so close...and affordable.

Norm

Aleksandr_Oleynik
04-17-2012, 10:42 AM
No. EPIC M-X. Dragon sensors not ready until the end of this year. Jim Jim, you post -
Just so we are clear... this year means upgrades begin before the end of this year. Late in the year. So, upgrades begin before the end of this year, or not? Thank you
PS: Anyway, get it in the neck I'll ask. Suddenly, you say. :cheers2: What is the native ISO will have a dragon?
:iagree::emote_hanged:
You know how everything is Love RED and You!
Patience is not a benefactor of RED users.
:drool5::drool5::drool5:

Michael Millichamp
04-17-2012, 11:12 AM
The low light shots of the woman in the red room were gorgeous. Hands down my favorite shots, along with the running at the end. Those were also very intriguing.

Ian Vertovec
04-17-2012, 01:27 PM
One of the best things about projecting at this brightness is we can essentially just color in 2D, then 'push' the grade to the 3D version. Which is essentially what we did with LOOM.

If you are planning a release with modern, 4ftL, then you have to do a '3D trim' which is just completely comprising the entire look for dark viewing conditions. Hopefully with Laser technology we'll actually be at a point where the 2D and 3D versions look the same because they actually WILL be the same.

Wayne Morellini
04-19-2012, 08:12 AM
I watched LOOM this morning and was blown away. It is a stunning movie; gorgeous to watch, beautifully acted--it pulled me right in and never let go. I saw it in the same theater pack as actor Giovanni Ribisi who told me this was the first time he'd seen it as well, and he was just as impressed. He said they shot it in only 5 days!

Oh man, this is not going to be one of those things where, if I look at it, it's going turn out like what I was planning to do. ;)

Lorenzo Straight
04-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Red, are you guys going to post Loom for the rest of us to see? Would love to see it myself.

Ketch Rossi
04-19-2012, 03:36 PM
LOVE IT!!

Even so the DP's decision over lighting were not my favorite choice for the story nor the format, the 3D was really god, not offensive to the eyes, even so at times I would have sure used greater Depth.

The clarity at 2k was great, using Passive Polarized glasses was a good experience, and of course the fact that OAKLAY shades, extremely comfortable, well, that was a plus!!

Thanks for the great experience, even so Jim was clearly not as happy about the fact of not letting us enjoy it at full 4K glory per EYE... ;)

Bob Gundu
04-19-2012, 05:04 PM
The guys working the theatre like James Lucarelli were super nice. He let me sneak into theatre so I could see the film after Graeme tweaked the colour after the first showing. I thought the screening the first time looked good but after the second screening, it really rocked my socks. I also also got to experience it the second time with 3D glasses that actually fit over my glasses. FYI, the theatre was using styling expensive Oakley glasses.... awesome.... For me, this projector was a game changer.

jon honeyball
04-19-2012, 06:35 PM
everything about the loom presentation was incredible

but clearly no-one thought about the oakley glasses

oh so chic and trendy. But try wearing them over normal glasses

monumental fail

Surprised Red dropped the ball so badly on this.

jon

Ketch Rossi
04-19-2012, 06:42 PM
everything about the loom presentation was incredible

but clearly no-one thought about the oakley glasses

oh so chic and trendy. But try wearing them over normal glasses

monumental fail

Surprised Red dropped the ball so badly on this.

jon

I have purchased every single 3D glasses ever made as to test each, and found that the OAKLEYS to be the absolute BEST Passive Polarized 3D glasses ever!!

So comfortable and great.

None of al the 3D glasses I have ware comfortably over my Vision glasses, so at the end I made special vision glasses to ware under the 3D glasses, so small and thin framed, the only option.

jon honeyball
04-19-2012, 06:43 PM
it was the curved wrap-around frame shape that was the problem

Jarred Land
04-19-2012, 07:08 PM
it was the curved wrap-around frame shape that was the problem

they were not designed to go over glasses.. just like normal Oakley sunglasses are not designed to go over glasses... not sure how that would be classified as a monumental fail... we had Real-D old school flat glasses for anyone that wanted them.

David Mullen ASC
04-19-2012, 07:13 PM
they were not designed to go over glasses.. just like normal Oakley sunglasses are not designed to go over glasses... not sure how that would be classified as a monumental fail... we had Real-D old school flat glasses for anyone that wanted them.

Since they were in a pouch, I didn't know that they wouldn't fit over my glasses until the screening began, and the people handing them out didn't think to ask those wearing eyeglasses whether they wanted an alternative, nor was an announcement made that alternatives were available. I had to hold the Oakley glasses to my face with one hand throughout the screening a few inches away from my face, making the 3D effect a bit hit or miss as my hand wavered.

Otherwise, I thought the movie itself looked great.

Jarred Land
04-19-2012, 07:21 PM
If you were wearing glasses when you walked insomeone should of asked...if they didn't, then that sucks. That counts as a fail.

David Mullen ASC
04-19-2012, 07:23 PM
"Fail" is too strong, more just not thought through. Live and learn, of course, I'm sure it won't happen again. It was a great piece of filmmaking no matter what.

Cliff Hokanson
04-19-2012, 07:28 PM
WOW I loved it. I cant wait for the movie nice work, Cheers Cliff

Daniel Soderberg
04-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Didn't get out to NAB to see this, but I very badly want to... When is an online version going to be posted?!

Michael Millichamp
04-19-2012, 11:14 PM
On Thursday was there ever a final 4k viewing?

Ketch Rossi
04-19-2012, 11:19 PM
On Thursday was there ever a final 4k viewing?

Unfortunately no, but if 2k looked like it did, I can't wait to see what 4k will look like... ;)

PatrickFaith
04-19-2012, 11:31 PM
I got these new sun glasses that fit over my normal glasses ... brand name is "fitovers" - and they work great . I really need to get something like that for 3d movies, since the free funky plastic glasses you get in the theater never fit correctly. I'd think a lot of people with glasses have problems in the movie theater(some of the theaters have running lights on - all the time, even during the showing, that give off glare on my glasses too).

Jeff Kilgroe
04-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Unfortunately no, but if 2k looked like it did, I can't wait to see what 4k will look like... ;)

+1

Aside from the ghosting issues due to polarity/ glasses matching and some possible anomalies that could be attributed to the 8bit color space, I thought it looked pretty darn good. As Jim put it when he introduced it in the theatre on monday morning, the projector was "moving from alpha to beta... today..". I thought color rendition looked really good. Reds, greens and blues showed they could be nicely saturated and vibrant. For a laser device, there was no speckling and the blacks were wonderfully clean. The simultaneous right/left eye 3D is refreshing and even amazing in a projection device aimed at this price point. And it will be 4K simultaneous per eye, too!

I saw a few other little things that I could question, but I won't. It's still in development and I can't wait to see the projector when it's ready to ship and will form a real opinion then. For a system that just entered the beta testing stage, it's very encouraging and exciting. One thing I do question though is RED showing the projector to the masses in this state. While many of us here understand the situation, so many others may not and I hope that Red did not do themselves a disservice by showing early. OTOH, Canon did the same thing with their 4K reference monitors. All of those prototype displays showed issues and were noticeably inconsistent from one unit to the next.

LOOM was great. I hope it can be released.

jon honeyball
04-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Its ok, Jarred. A minor wrinkle to learn from. It just struck me as... amusing... that red didnt appear to have glasses-compatible oakley 3d glasses, for obvious historical reasons :-)

Ketch Rossi
04-20-2012, 07:52 AM
BTW, what I forgot to mention about LOOM, was the fact of the appearance of the Atom 3D rig with the EPIC cameras... ;)

What we really sow was of course not the entire rig and cameras as they were rapped in plastic as Giovanni Ribisi moves the entire rig grabbing it by the MB, but the RED PRO LCD was too evident to miss... ;)

Nice touch... ;)

Jarred Land
04-21-2012, 01:50 AM
BTW, what I forgot to mention about LOOM, was the fact of the appearance of the Atom 3D rig with the EPIC cameras... ;)

What we really sow was of course not the entire rig and cameras as they were rapped in plastic as Giovanni Ribisi moves the entire rig grabbing it by the MB, but the RED PRO LCD was too evident to miss... ;)

Nice touch... ;)

heh heh was wondering how many people noticed that :)

brett ogden
04-21-2012, 01:58 AM

I did And i was in the first showing

Patrick Grossien
04-21-2012, 06:22 AM

I'd love to notice - if we were able to watch it ;)

John Wee
04-21-2012, 04:29 PM
I hope u guys managed to get it to work in 4k per eye by wed. I was in the very first showing.

brett ogden
04-21-2012, 04:31 PM
I hope u guys managed to get it to work in 4k per eye by wed. I was in the very first showing.

NOPE

Jake Wilganowski
04-21-2012, 04:37 PM
When will this be online?!

Tyson Benard
04-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Wonderful. Some of those low/no light shots really blew my mind, being able to still make out the details of the actors face. As for the 3d, it really did feel a lot more natural than others I've seen. I'm sure it has to do with the simultaneous left/right eye projections, but it just felt so much better. I didn't have to take of my glasses once, which was nice. There was still some ghosting at certain parts that bothered me, but other than that it was fine. For an alpha moving beta projector, that seems pretty stellar. Can't wait to see it projecting 4k.

Jason Diamond
04-23-2012, 10:19 PM

Yeah it jumped right out. Great use of the tech as any film at any budget should do.

Tim Whitcomb
04-23-2012, 10:58 PM
My favorite part of the experience was being SO caught up in the story that I forgot
Why the hell I was In there :) so I got back in line and watched it again and agreed
It was the most relaxing 3D I've ever watched and I've been very vocal about that
to think it was "only displaying 2 streams of 2K" is insane - and it's under 10k
And obtw it has a built in red ray player and obtw plays other content -

Game changer

PC Greene
05-14-2012, 11:17 AM

+1!

Shaun Cammack
05-14-2012, 01:43 PM

+1!!

C.H.Haskell
05-14-2012, 06:41 PM
I am still waiting for PJs "crossing the line"

Daniel Soderberg
05-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Any update on when/if this is going to be posted online???

Jarred Land
05-28-2012, 03:28 AM
End of Summer :)

Jesper Sichlau
05-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeebee :)

Colin Hubick
05-28-2012, 01:06 PM
It's going to be hard to beat how good it looked at NAB, but looking forward to seeing it again!

Stivan Widick
05-28-2012, 02:08 PM
LOOM should come with the REDray Laser Projector as demo material.

Daniel Soderberg
05-28-2012, 09:34 PM
That's too long to wait :(

End of Summer :)