PDA

View Full Version : Leica M Mount

Jarred Land
04-16-2012, 01:36 AM
Finally up for pre-order tomorrow. $700. ships August 1st.

http://www.redgrabs.com/up/1334594977.jpg

Charlie_Grinnell
04-16-2012, 01:37 AM
yes!

Zeb B
ME NEED!!

Charlie_Grinnell
SANJIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad Allen
04-16-2012, 01:39 AM
It's unbelievable how much stuff you guys are pumping out - and Jim says this is between 1/4 and 1/2 of what you guys have going on? It must be like a mad house over there!

Chris McKechnie
Holy Sugar-Sanp Peas!

Phil Holland
I'm pretty confident with all these mounts and the future Dragon upgrade then hopefully "still mode" enable Epic and Scarlet will finally fully DSMC.

I mean, how many DSLRs are shooting 6k this year?

Mike 'Fireman' Ross
04-16-2012, 01:40 AM
Bloody hell guys, why put them up 'tomorrow'?! I'm going to be BUSY!

I think I'll just stop by the RED stand, open my wallet, and tell Jarred 'take the bloody lot and have done with it!' :D

Mike

Jannard
04-16-2012, 01:42 AM
We are good with that...

Jim

Bloody hell guys, why put them up 'tomorrow'?! I'm going to be BUSY!

I think I'll just stop by the RED stand, open my wallet, and tell Jarred 'take the bloody lot and have done with it!' :D

Mike

Ketch Rossi
04-16-2012, 01:42 AM
This baby is got a NOCTILUX .95 waiting for it... ;)

Zeb B
04-16-2012, 01:43 AM

ditto

Yusuf Thakur
04-16-2012, 01:43 AM

What about the Nikon mount any news this NAB.

Thanks Jarrad.
Yusuf Thakur
VFX.Dubai
www.vfxme.com

Ketch Rossi
04-16-2012, 01:44 AM
ditto

Ha ha, I know Josh, I sold it to you... ;)

Mike 'Fireman' Ross
04-16-2012, 01:49 AM

Oh you had to use the N word... Something else I have to open my wallet for!

Good seeing you tonight :)

Mike

Ketch Rossi
04-16-2012, 01:54 AM
Oh you had to use the N word... Something else I have to open my wallet for!

Good seeing you tonight :)

Mike

He he, yes I did sorry Mike, and it was also meeting you tonight!!

BTW, if you would to see some of the stuff I have planned to shoot on the Noctilux you'll scream out Loud, unless you don't like half naked girls in semi dark shadows... ;)

Hans Magnus Kvåle
04-16-2012, 01:54 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing your footage shot with the NOCTILUX .95 Ketch, think this will be very nice :-)

Collin Morrow
04-16-2012, 01:56 AM
BTW, if you would to see some of the stuff I have planned to shoot on the Noctilux you'll scream out Loud, unless you don't like half naked girls in semi dark shadows... ;)

ketch can I come work with you lol

Ketch Rossi
04-16-2012, 02:01 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing your footage shot with the NOCTILUX .95 Ketch, think this will be very nice :-)

The Noctilux .95 will be used for RAPE of a BEAUTY in pair with the Leica S C Primes lenses, I just hope that the 3D matching of this lenses will not turn in to a complete nightmare, but other then that, I promise you that you'll see the most insane footage ever seen in darkness, and oh of course on RED DRAGON... ;)

ketch can I come work with you lol

Ha ha, we'll be hiring quite an insane amount of people soon... so you never know.

Mike 'Fireman' Ross
04-16-2012, 02:06 AM
He he, yes I did sorry Mike, and it was also meeting you tonight!!

Girls... dark shadows... does it also involves the use of ropes??? Please? I'm very good at knots...

Mike

Ketch Rossi
04-16-2012, 02:08 AM
Girls... dark shadows... does it also involves the use of ropes??? Please? I'm very good at knots...

Mike

He he, no ropes, Chains... Actually I should not be laughing as this are the scenes were the Lead character has been kidnapped and chained to a wall.

The new RED DRAGON, NOCTILUX .95 on RED EPIC M mount, and close to total darkness with super extreme insane SDOF will make this scenes very very good, if we can make 3D hold, that is... We'll see, can't wait to do some serious tests, and we'll report

Curran Giddens
04-16-2012, 02:12 AM
I think I need to setup direct deposit so all my paychecks go directly into my account at RED.

We are good with that...

Jim

Tehben Dean
04-16-2012, 02:20 AM
I think I need to setup direct deposit so all my paychecks go directly into my account at RED.

That is a gooood plan :)

Paul Russell
04-16-2012, 04:53 AM
you guys are on fire. I think I'm going to have to go out and get some work just to pay for all this new wishlist material.

peter roehsler
04-16-2012, 05:43 AM
We are good with that...

Jim

Fortunately for us users you are very, very fair with our wallets.

The number of new things is just overwhelming!

If itīs not asking too much: do we get a list of compatible Leica M glass? (I donīt want to run into trouble here, neither mechanically nor financially:)

All the best and show it to `themī!

Seth H
04-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Is there a definitive list on which Leica M lenses will work on the mount?

Detlev Eller
04-16-2012, 06:11 AM
... sounds very promissing .. :-)

The Noctilux .95 will be used for RAPE of a BEAUTY in pair with the Leica S C Primes lenses, I just hope that the 3D matching of this lenses will not turn in to a complete nightmare, but other then that, I promise you that you'll see the most insane footage ever seen in darkness, and oh of course on RED DRAGON... ;)

Ha ha, we'll be hiring quite an insane amount of people soon... so you never know.

jamesbridges
04-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Will a Leica lens compatibility list be up soon?

Andrew M.
04-16-2012, 06:56 AM
Does this mount do focus and aperture adjustment from the camera?

Ketch Rossi
04-16-2012, 10:43 AM
PRE-ORDERED... ;)

keith morton
04-16-2012, 11:22 AM
same here

peter roehsler
04-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Does this mount do focus and aperture adjustment from the camera?

The Leica M system is purely mechanical, so no auto-functions whatsoever. Therefore this type of mount is a so called `dumbī mount. It fits certain Leica M lenses on EPICS/SCARLETS without coupling anything.
Leica M lenses would have to be converted for external control of any kind. Technically it could probably be done, but it would hardly make sense with the costs involved.

Gareth Taylor
04-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Fantastic! And the price is right. Nikon mount maybe?

Andrew M.
04-17-2012, 07:53 AM
The Leica M system is purely mechanical, so no auto-functions whatsoever. Therefore this type of mount is a so called `dumbī mount. It fits certain Leica M lenses on EPICS/SCARLETS without coupling anything.
Leica M lenses would have to be converted for external control of any kind. Technically it could probably be done, but it would hardly make sense with the costs involved.

Thanks! never used Leica lenses.
So all Leica lenses are mechanical?
Was thinking to take it underwater.
I guess we go old way, motorizing it....

Ketch Rossi
04-17-2012, 09:45 AM
No Andrew, not all Leica lenses are, but the "M" series yes.

The "S" series aren't but this are Medium format lenses and for this they will be Epic 645 terrytory also known to be the best DSLR lenses ever made.

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Will a Leica lens compatibility list be up soon?

Will be but a quick way to verify is if your M lens has a deep protruding rear element, it's probably going to be a problem. It mostly happens on the wides though.. and as incredibly fantastic as the wide M lenses are, they don't work as well as they should on digital sensors.

peter roehsler
04-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks! never used Leica lenses.
So all Leica lenses are mechanical?
Was thinking to take it underwater.
I guess we go old way, motorizing it....
If you are looking for underwater applications, there are several experienced members on this board, who will have all the knowledge you may seek.

Michael Zeleny
04-18-2012, 04:01 AM

http://www.redgrabs.com/up/1334594977.jpgAre you planning a Titanium version?

Chosei Funahara
04-18-2012, 07:17 AM

Finally I'll graduate from Leica M cameras. I took the Epic overseas this month, foreign airport security guy knew what Epic camera is, but I had PL lens on it.
next time, I take only one lens, just Noctiilux.

Andrew M.
04-19-2012, 07:34 PM
If you are looking for underwater applications, there are several experienced members on this board, who will have all the knowledge you may seek.

Peter, yes I see some posts here on this subject but not much about low light underwater.
I just can't wait to experiment with this lenses (.95) and DRAGON 15 stops
Though 50 mm FL calls for very clean water since you need 100' visibility.

Mark Pedersen
04-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Will be but a quick way to verify is if your M lens has a deep protruding rear element, it's probably going to be a problem. It mostly happens on the wides though.. and as incredibly fantastic as the wide M lenses are, they don't work as well as they should on digital sensors.

Hi Jarred, so...what about R lenses in that regard? I was chatting with Iain Neil at Band Pro and at the Red booth, and he said you guys have done a lot of testing with Leica glass. Just curious how the latest series R series lenses performed. I'm talking about R lenses with a Leitax Canon mount...

M

Steven Dean
04-20-2012, 08:03 AM

Is there going to be any way in the future to use the wides?

Uli Plank
04-20-2012, 09:24 AM
No, they will stay sub-par. This has to do with the different reflection and angle tolerance of digital sensors and film emulsion.

For wide I'd get something modern…

Zeb B
04-20-2012, 10:45 AM
That's what a UP 8R is for

Ketch Rossi
04-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Josh I hope you did preorder the Leica mount for your Noctilux .95... ;)

Mark Pedersen
04-20-2012, 09:25 PM
No, they will stay sub-par. This has to do with the different reflection and angle tolerance of digital sensors and film emulsion.

For wide I'd get something modern…

Uli, is this in response to my question to Jarred re: Leica R glass?

M

Zeb B
04-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Josh I hope you did preorder the Leica mount for your Noctilux .95... ;)

. . . a couple hours before you . . . still would bet on you getting it first by a long shot my friend. No worries from me - no one supports the Brand better than you

Ketch Rossi
04-20-2012, 11:31 PM
. . . a couple hours before you . . . still would bet on you getting it first by a long shot my friend. No worries from me - no one supports the Brand better than you

He he, thanks Josh, I do the best I can to share with the community, but I hope they'll go out in larger numbers so that we all get it at the same time.

Even so I still am pretty sure no one will capture the kind of footage I got lined up for it, in my Movie scenes in 3D... ;)

Les Hillis
04-29-2012, 09:17 AM
I think the problems the wider M mount lenses have with digital sensors are being overstated.

Recording in RED's RAW format and being able to convert the R3D files into RAW still-image sequences allows the images to be corrected to a very high degree.

Here's a basic test done with the Voigtlander 12 & 21mm M mount lenses - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYVqug-eEUQ&feature=youtu.be

In these examples, 'Corner Fix' was used to adjust luminance and chromacity values, in order to reduce the off-colour vignetting, then Contrast and Gain was adjusted in After Effects and/or Premiere Pro to adjust the overall look. The simple 'fixes' applied to these shots might not be perfect or complete, but with the full range of RAW image correction tools people have available to them I'd be surprised if it wasn't possible to get better looking results.

IMO image quality concerns alone shouldn't be used as a justification for not modifying the camera's to accommodate the use of the wider M mount lenses.

Here's a list of M mount lenses that can't currently be used (unmodified) on Epic/Scarlets, but which would be made available for use with a redesigned OLPF port -

Zeiss
Super Wide Angle 15mm f/2.8 Distagon T* ZM
Super Wide Angle 18mm f/4 Distagon T* ZM (Black & Silver)
Super Wide Angle 21mm f/4.5 C Biogon T* ZM (Black & Silver)
Super Wide Angle 21mm f/2.8 Biogon T* ZM (Black & Silver)
Wide Angle 25mm f/2.8 Biogon T* ZM
Wide Angle 28mm f/2.8 Biogon T* ZM (Black & Silver)
Wide Angle 35mm f/2.8 C Biogon T* ZM (Black & Silver)
Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM (Black & Silver)

Leica
21mm f/1.4 Summilux-M
24mm f/1.4 Summilux-M
35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M
28mm f/2.0 Summicron-M
35mm f/2.0 Summicron-M (Black & Chrome)
28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M
18mm f/3.8 Super-Elmar-M
21mm f/3.4 Super-Elmar-M ASPH
24mm f/3.8 Elmar M
16-18-21mm f/4 Tri-Elmar-M

Voigtlander
UltraWide Heliar 12mm f/5.6
SuperWide Heliar 15mm f/4.5
Color-Skopar 21mm f/4.0
Color-Skopar 25mm f/4.0
Ultron 28mm f/2.0
Color-Skopar Pan 35mm f/2.5

Zeb B
04-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Thank you for the efforts and post!! Let's take a Sawzall to that sensor port and ship us some Leica mounts!

Les Hillis
04-30-2012, 11:39 AM
No worries, attached a picture (thanks Pawel) to show where to start cutting. :biggrin:

Seriously though, I could be wrong, but it looks like what the OLPF port screws into (the sensor mount seen in the other picture) needs to be widened too, not just the OLPF port itself.

Not sure if that degree of modification can be justified, or that RED's making and selling an M mount necessarily obligates them to modify their camera's to make the full range of M mount lenses fit.

Maybe there are other reasons (beyond fitting wider M mount lenses) why it would be beneficial. Certainly can't see RED offering to replace that/those part/s before the Dragon sensor upgrades though (when the camera's have to be pulled to bits anyway).

Ketch Rossi
05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Okay, is it my English getting worst since i moved back to Italy last year, or is just simply written the wrong way, or did the RED LEICA M mount now no longer can mount the 50mm NOCTILUX .95, which I have seating here pretty awaiting for the mount... ;)

Has to be an error by the Web team... I sure hope... ;)

From here: http://www.red.com/store/products/dsmc-al-leica-m-mount

The DSMC ALUMINUM LEICA MOUNT allows you to mount any Leica M lens onto a DSMC brain for shooting motion or still images. Machined aluminum build is durable and securely holds all Leica M lenses.
NOTE: Due to tolerance restrictions, we strongly advise users not to mount any Leica M lenses that have a focal length of 50mm or less.

Les Hillis
05-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Edit - Question answered below, thanks.

Zeb B
05-01-2012, 03:58 PM
While we're on the discussion - for RED Team only: what is the image diameter for Dragon? I am buying lenses in the year wait and would like to know I'm not buying 5K crop lenses for a 6K upgrade

Trevor Meeks
05-02-2012, 12:01 AM
It doesn't seem to be a mistake at all... they advise you not to mount lenses 50mm or less. Pretty simple to me... I don't understand the confusion.

Jarred Land
05-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Sorry web team is just covering bases as some really odd M 50mm lenses have a rear protrusion. If you M lenses has a protrusion past the rear flange, it probably wont work. But the NOCTILUX, the real reason this mount was even made.. fits just fine.

It doesn't really matter though about the mechanical interference... the wide angle lenses have a hard time with micro lenses on ours ( and others ) micro-lenses on the sensor.. and all sorts of artifacts start to show up.

Michael Zeleny
05-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Sorry web team is just covering bases as some really odd M 50mm lenses have a rear protrusion. If you M lenses has a protrusion past the rear flange, it probably wont work. But the NOCTILUX, the real reason this mount was even made.. fits just fine.Please consider covering fewer bases. Using 35mm and 50mm Leica M lenses, Summicron and faster, was one of my strongest incentives for buying a Scarlet-X. Your earlier statement (http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?67168-EPIC-Leica-M-Pier-59&p=957320&viewfull=1#post95732) implied an appreciation of this prospect. I am sure that many other Leica fans of this forum would be loath to run afoul of your official policy and would welcome its more affirmative restatement.

Jarred Land
05-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Michael.. as a Leica fan you can understand that over the years there have been many revisions of the M lenses... and some 35mm protrude and some do not... ASPH vs non ASPH and even within model years there are even slight variations and mechanical changes that can only be discerned by serial numbers. So im not sure what you are going on about running afoul but the only recommendation that i can give you is that if you don't like it... don't buy it.

The Leica Mount is purely a passion project within the program.. for those of you out there that I personally care about that requested this mount be made.... so we made it.

Ketch Rossi
05-02-2012, 01:48 AM
...But the NOCTILUX, the real reason this mount was even made.. fits just fine.

Okay... That is what I tough, just anted to be sure they were no sudden finds... My NOCTILUX can now stop crying... ;)

Michael Zeleny
05-02-2012, 02:09 AM
Michael.. [...] the only recommendation that i can give you is that if you don't like it... don't buy it.Jarred, I bought it and liked it enough to work around its limitations. But I am hoping that my asking RED to spell out these limitations comports with the community spirit that you have so successfully fostered. All I care about in this matter is not breaking my camera with trial and error that your official policy forbids but your passion project encourages.

Jarred Land
05-02-2012, 02:24 AM
Jarred, I bought it and liked it enough to work around its limitations. But I am hoping that my asking RED to spell out these limitations comports with the community spirit that you have so successfully fostered. All I care about in this matter is not breaking my camera with trial and error that your official policy forbids but your passion project encourages.

Thanks for understanding. The mount has it's nuances.. nuances that is worth it once you see what some of this M glass gives you.. Unfortunately we don't have very M lens made to be able to spell out exactly which ones fit and do not... and after finding so many variances we can only give loose guidelines.

Michael Zeleny
05-02-2012, 02:55 AM
Thanks for understanding. The mount has it's nuances.. nuances that is worth it once you see what some of this M glass gives you.. Unfortunately we don't have very M lens made to be able to spell out exactly which ones fit and do not... and after finding so many variances we can only give loose guidelines.Jarred, I understand that you cannot test every M lens. So how about releasing an official list of the ones you have tested to the point of confidence in certifying their compatibility with your M mount?

Chosei Funahara
05-12-2012, 06:41 AM
Has anyone received Leica M mount yet?
Except one of those royalties guys?

Jarred Land
05-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Has anyone received Leica M mount yet?
Except one of those royalties guys?

lol.. yes we have shipped a few.

Chosei Funahara
05-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Well, nothing to do with Epic Leica M mount, but don't you love it, (if it's appropriate in this forum, please remove it)
https://vimeo.com/41869140

Jarred Land
05-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Lots of great videos the last few weeks leica has released.

Gian Marc Cadosch
05-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Can't wait for the Leica M mount to use the Noctilux with the Scarlet. Here's an example from our fashion editorial "Heartbreak Hotel" entirely shot with the Leica M9 and the Noctilux at f1.0.

Imran Farouk
05-30-2012, 01:01 AM
Can't wait for the Leica M mount to use the Noctilux with the Scarlet. Here's an example from our fashion editorial "Heartbreak Hotel" entirely shot with the Leica M9 and the Noctilux at f1.0.

That second photo is just damn awesome,

Looking forward to this mount and to when my Noctilux comes back from Leica, going to be a lot of joy to shoot with...

Be nice if they made an entire Noctilux range, just love the glass so much

Zeb B
07-06-2012, 11:55 PM
lol.. yes we have shipped a few.

Any chance for an update . . . better yet a Leica mount shipped to me? I ordered one in the first hour they were available a couple months ago. Thought I read that quantity shipments were to start July 3rd

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?78486-May-Product-Delivery-Update

William Albertini
07-11-2012, 04:12 PM
August 1 is just around the corner, time to troll the interwebs and start replacing the M glass I sold off to buy my Scarlet...

Paul Lee
08-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Just got our M-Mount (cough, for the Noctilux, cough) and I do not see any documentation for installation? Just like to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Nick Grow
08-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Just got our M-Mount (cough, for the Noctilux, cough) and I do not see any documentation for installation? Just like to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Paul, please send me an email to nick-dot-grow-at-red-dot-com and I will send you the installation instructions document.

NICK

Paul Lee
08-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Done.

Paul Lee
08-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Nice!!!

Ketch Rossi
08-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Finally some time to take and post few shots... ;)

Noctilux never looked so SEXY!!

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/412419_3554961393295_1540992195_o.jpg

Asif Limbada
02-09-2013, 03:44 AM
24mm Summilux f1.4 ASPH doesn't fit. :mad2:
Is there M to EF Mount Adapter for it. As I can see the protruding part of the lens can fit. Now the question is will it cover 5K.

Chad Lancaster
05-07-2013, 12:27 AM
When will these be back in stock?

Bryan Moore
06-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Anyone have the mount for rent?

Daniel Grosseman
06-09-2013, 06:37 AM
Is there any list of compatible lenses? I wished I had one but the, suposed, inability to use wide angles makes me stay away from it.