PDA

View Full Version : Questions..?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 11:20 AM
I am hiding in the corner of the theater at NAB and decided to give you guys at home that couldn't make it a little love.. any questions?

Bob Gundu
04-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Loved Loom, but I sure didn't enjoy holding those 3D glasses over my regular glasses. Wondering why you don't like 4 eyed kids?
But i will say they were the most styling 3D glasses I've ever seen.

Mike P.
04-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Is there a chance we'll see a "Scarlet Spec Series" of SSDs, not just the 32gb, but 64, 128, 256 priced accordingly?

Not that it's needed, but does that mean HDRx on Dragon will go up to 21+ stops?

What is the native ISO of Dragon? What is the ballpark cost for Scarlet-to-Dragon at this point?

F. Malmer
1) Red anamorphic lenses coming?
2) Meizler module wireless receiver, will it work with iPad and regular macbooks? The wireless video, that is.
3) Redmote app for ipad/iphone coming?

Benjamin Swan
Matte Box Pro 15 or 19mm rod mounts? Thanks for all the wonderful new toys!

PatrickFaith
04-17-2012, 11:23 AM
When will the 50mm red prime pro be back in stock ?

Mestizo Devon
+1 redmoted app

Scott Crawley
There isn't an official thread for the wireless module (R90?)... Care to share any deets here?

Does it broadcast metadata too? Lens info? Start stop flags? Timecode? Clean feed only or can you select overlays?

Álex Montoya
Any chance to see 'Loom' online anytime soon?

Demetri Zuev
04-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Jarred, is Scarlet 120fps still coming at 1K on Mysterium-X or do you guys decided to make it 2K, or maybe postpone the feature all together to Dragon times?

And if Epics are first for the upgrade does that mean that all the current Epic owners will get it first and only after that the Scarlet part of the program will start?

Lastly — what do you guys think about Blackmagic's new camera, just curious?

Brian Robbins
04-17-2012, 11:24 AM
What is the wireless range of the wireless features that the Meizler module offers?

N.D. Paolo
04-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Q1:
Will you tease the Red Monstro 617 or 645 by end of NAB?

Q2:
is iPad app being updated or released for Redmote owners?

MattV
04-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Can we get more clarification on the red store 50k purchase collection, if you buy a collection and modify it to be over 50k meaning your single order is over 50k, you get a free dragon upgrade or does the collection price have to be over 50k unmodified? By the way thank you for taking the time out to answer every ones questions

Michael Millichamp
04-17-2012, 11:26 AM
New lenses? =D

I need some primes to go along with my 18-85.

Álex Montoya
04-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Any idea on how much better Dragon's sensitivity will be?

Nook Kim
04-17-2012, 11:27 AM
On the vimeo interview of Ted talking about the Red Wireless, he says that the receiver gets "uncompressed HD". Can you please tell us more about this?

Joseph Coleman
04-17-2012, 11:28 AM
From the information provided about Dragon is it safe to say that 4k will no longer be S35? Not a complaint just wrapping my head around this new sensor that I am very excited about. When might we see some test footage from it?

Domenic Barbero
04-17-2012, 11:29 AM
well Jarred, you opened pandoras box. hope you are a fast typer

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Jarred, is Scarlet 120fps still coming at 1K

Yes. In 2 weeks we are releasing a pretty monumental build for Scarlet and Epic... Apart from a bunch of other goodies, additional resolutions will appear... including the high frame rate 1K on scarlet.

Trevor Meeks
04-17-2012, 11:30 AM
What the heck happened to the EVF thread?

Domenic Barbero
04-17-2012, 11:31 AM
oh sweet jesus. i love me some framerates.

Nook Kim
04-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Was it always the idea to have just one HD-SDI (preview) output on the PRO I/O Module? Any chance we will see the 2.0 version with at least two ports?

Álex Montoya
04-17-2012, 11:32 AM
have you seen Zacuto's 'Revenge of the Great Camera Shootout 2012'? How well did the Epic-X fare?

Mestizo Devon
04-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Yes. In 2 weeks we are releasing a pretty monumental build for Scarlet and Epic... Apart from a bunch of other goodies, additional resolutions will appear... including the high frame rate 1K on scarlet.

Wow,

Great, now can you help me make something fantastic with this thing:ihih:
The excuses are gone....

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 11:33 AM
From the information provided about Dragon is it safe to say that 4k will no longer be S35? Not a complaint just wrapping my head around this new sensor that I am very excited about. When might we see some test footage from it?

Similar pixel size of 5 microns remember... so your 4K will be slightly smaller than MX 4K. 5K will be a but smaller than MX 5K. and 6K will be a bit bigger. Bigger.. but still be able to fit some of the S35 lenses that have a larger image circle out there.

Jarred Land
have you seen Zacuto's 'Revenge of the Great Camera Shootout 2012'? How well did the Epic-X fare?

Havn't seen it.. not sure if Epic was in there?

Bob Gundu

Damn!!!! Amazing....

Pierce Cook
04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Hey Jarred,

I meant to stop you yesterday and ask, but you guys were swamped. Will "Crossing the Line" ever make an online appearance? So few of us actually got to watch it back when it was making the rounds. Would love to see it!

Also, will the Ridley Scott interview you showed at the REDuser party be posted? Would love to pass that around to some folks. Fun piece. :)

Enjoyed the party and the booth, you guys are killing it. Thanks for all your hard work!

Best,

P

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Was it always the idea to have just one HD-SDI (preview) output on the PRO I/O Module? Any chance we will see the 2.0 version with at least two ports?

heh heh heh. give them one.. they want two. give em two, they want three. :)

Demetri Zuev
04-17-2012, 11:35 AM

Awesome!

Jarred Land
Hey Jarred,

I meant to stop you yesterday and ask, but you guys were swamped. Will "Crossing the Line" ever make an online appearance? So few of us actually got to watch it back when it was making the rounds. Would love to see it!

P

We were just talking about this the other day :)

heh heh heh....

Nook Kim
Jarred,

Here's a big question: Are you anticipating quality improvements on 2K recording on Epic?

Barry Bishop
04-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Laser projector...does it come with a lens :)

Also Jarred you made my week already. Thanks for the scarlet love! ohh and whats your reaction to BlackMagic Designs camera? Just thoughts :)

Brandon J.F.
04-17-2012, 11:36 AM

heh heh heh....

I've actually never seen it. Just photos. Would love to.

Great news about the upcoming Scarlet firmware!

Bob Gundu
04-17-2012, 11:37 AM
I have crossing the line on my computer somewhere. PM me.

Hey Jarred,

Also, will the Ridley Scott interview you showed at the REDuser party be posted? Would love to pass that around to some folks. Fun piece. :)

Enjoyed the party and the booth, you guys are killing it. Thanks for all your hard work!

Best,

P

Omar Al-Masab
04-17-2012, 11:37 AM
how is the Dragon performing under tungsten light?

Steve Sherrick
04-17-2012, 11:39 AM

heh heh heh....
If Peter would allow it, might be interesting to release some R3Ds from that film, even if it's footage without actors. Fun to see what was being done in the early days and to run it through the current processing. Also, what about releasing a 4K ProRes version of the movie?

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Any idea on how much better Dragon's sensitivity will be?

As tested right now.. 2 more stops natively.

Guillaume Tremblay
04-17-2012, 11:40 AM
New lenses? =D

I need some primes to go along with my 18-85.

+1 for the prime....

Harrison Diamond
04-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Jarred, can't wait for Dragon etc., but my question is lens related.

So we know from what you've said so far that dragon will need a larger image circle for 6K... Does this have anything to do with what you were teasing a few weeks ago about getting the RPPs while we could?

Feel free to answer with a heh heh heh ;)

Doug Beatty
04-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Meizler module - How do you plan on transmitting audio and timecode wirelessly? Is this a plug-in module for existing Sound Devices mixers or will this be compatible with Nomad's Zaxnet right out of the box?

.:Edit:.

For those wondering, I read in the other thread that Nomad and Zaxnet is indeed compatible with the module and is currently being used on film sets to synch Epic and send scratch tracks.

So glad I went Zaxcom and Red right about now.

Nook Kim
heh heh heh. give them one.. they want two. give em two, they want three. :)

Hang on.. Am I mistaken assuming that the I/O module will take over the existing SDI port on the body?

Phil Holland

Does this mean you guys figured out HDRx at 4k/24fps? There was talk of that back in November. Wondering if any progress has been made.

Excellent news on 120fps and the new resolutions.

Harrison Diamond
!!!!!
Natively... As in what we see in Raw View?

Im gonna need some bigger NDs...

Brandon J.F.
04-17-2012, 11:43 AM
What ever happened the little ND filters you were planning on releasing? I remember seeing photos from last year's NAB. Any chance they will be released soon?

Ryan Nichols
04-17-2012, 11:44 AM
I would really like to know about the lenses myself. I'm about to pull the trigger on some primes and want to know if I might need to wait.

Erik Bien
04-17-2012, 11:44 AM
your reaction to BlackMagic Designs camera?

Judging by the number of threads about it that have been 'disappeared' almost as soon as they were posted, I'm guessing that would be: sticking fingers in ears and yelling "Nya, nya, nya, can't hear you!" :glare:

Peter Moretti
04-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Snow flakes in hell have lived longer lives, LOL!

Paul J. Helin
04-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Good luck on answering all these :D

Anyways, I saw Ted showing off some kind of wireless monitoring system in a video posted on youtube or vimeo. Whats the deal on that? It didn't appear to be the Meizler but something else. Any guestimations on the progress on that baby? Or any more info you can say on it except that it... transmits video? :D

-P

Barry Bishop
04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Judging by the number of threads about it that have been 'disappeared' almost as soon as they were posted, I'm guessing that would be: sticking fingers in ears and yelling "Nya, nya, nya, can't hear you!" :glare:

interesting...still i'd like to hear from them. Officially like wow good job...or its about time...not good enough..or they ponied off our users who were alienated by the price increase. They just took that market.

Nook Kim
04-17-2012, 11:48 AM

Great! Please get me out of 2.0.2 this time.

Omar Al-Masab

and how is that distributed +1 in highlights +1 in the shadows?

Alex Kiritz
When will the Scarlet 8X fixed lens's big sibling be making an appearance?

Guillaume Tremblay
04-17-2012, 11:49 AM
20 minutes after this thread...5 pages of questions. I think youll need some help Jarred

Elsie N
04-17-2012, 11:50 AM
interesting...still i'd like to hear from them. Officially like wow good job...or its about time...not good enough..or they ponied off our users who were alienated by the price increase. They just took that market.

Why? It's not a Red product. Who cares!

Tobias Straka
04-17-2012, 11:53 AM
1st off - damn you guys are killing it. Didn't post anything because it would have been the same on all threads: "Awesome!"

Question: wireless video, live stream - does the Meizler Module do this? Or is it the other module only you're working on? ETA on this one? Can't be soon enough. Also: what's the streaming technology? Differently put: any chance for monitoring the camera's signal on an iPhone / iPad?

Man I wish I could be in Vegas right now, but our EPIC is working non stop. I blame you for me not being there... :)

Jesper Sichlau
04-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Any news on the Redmote Pro?

Nook Kim
04-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Do you have any progress on improving Redmote?

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Is there a chance we'll see a "Scarlet Spec Series" of SSDs, not just the 32gb, but 64, 128, 256 priced accordingly?

Not that it's needed, but does that mean HDRx on Dragon will go up to 21+ stops?

What is the native ISO of Dragon? What is the ballpark cost for Scarlet-to-Dragon at this point?

Hard to make any guesses in the media game.. things change so fast. lets see how the 32GB cards do :)

Native ISO of Dragon we will announce a bit later.

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Any news on the Redmote Pro?

Remote Pro is coming along.. you are seing pieces of it in things like the Meizler module. As you can tell, we are taking our time to get this one right.

Ido Karilla
Realisticly, when will the Redprojector be installed in my grading room?

Malvin Ng
Hard to make any guesses in the media game.. things change so fast. lets see how the 32GB cards do :)

Native ISO of Dragon we will announce a bit later.

Don't forget to show footage too :)

Jon Carr
RED PRO MASTER PRIMES?

New RED PRO ZOOM 50-150mm?

Bruce Allen
Oh boy. Questions!

1. How are those cool-looking FF automatic zoom lenses + RedMote Pro things going? I want them like a creature that wants things very much!

2. Have the color filters changed for the Dragon or Monstro sensors? I would love to know if the awesomeness of color rendition, especially skin, in varied lighting conditions, is going to improve with the new sensor.

3. Since you guys control both distribution (RedRay) and projection (laser awesomeness)... any chance we'll get an easy way to make a film that has metadata that says:
"HEY, THIS SHOULD BE SHOWN WITH 709 COLORS" or "HEY, SHOW THIS WITH FULL LASER COLOR PRIMARIES" and the projector will switch to the right mode?
Is there any way we can have a "backwards-compatible" LUT option so that if content is designed with full laser color primaries but the viewer only has a 709 TV, RedRay can convert?

4. Since I want to make films that use the full color gamut of the Red laser, how close are its color primaries to the Mitsubishi LaserVue projector or the very-similar NHK 8K color gamut? EG this is the NHK 8K (SHV) standard:

http://www.boacinema.com/projects/2011/for_forum_posts/1-1-1-z1.gif

Thanks, Jarred!

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

Brad Webb
04-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Does this mean you guys figured out HDRx at 4k/24fps? There was talk of that back in November. Wondering if any progress has been made.

Excellent news on 120fps and the new resolutions.

I second this question.
Also any chance of getting 5K at 24fps on Scarlet... perhaps with the Dragon update?

Jonathan Stevenson
Jarred, thanks so much for doing this!

Will Dragon upgrades be handled by delivery date or first come first serve?

Jon Carr
I second this question.
Also any chance of getting 5K at 24fps on Scarlet... perhaps with the Dragon update?

+1000

Steve Sherrick
04-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Observing from afar (I couldn't make it to NAB this year) I think RED has had a good show. A lot of really great announcements with estimated shipping dates on many of them. I think RED has matured in many ways, in particular with the manufacturing process. Jim and Jarred have taken this to heart. They wanted things to ship faster than any of us. Now they are getting to the point where they are hitting their marks and that is great to see.

What other camera companies do only is a factor for RED if they get complacent and sit on their hands. I don't see them doing that. Jarred and Jim will probably get out of the game before that happens. To me, they seem comfortable with their market. Indy filmmakers who get what RED is all about, and the professional market, where it's less about price and more about performance and getting the most performance for your money. If they wanted the low end market, they could have released a lower end camera by now. I personally don't think they are interested in compromising.

So, although threads have been deleted and I'm sure there may be some WTF rumblings, I'd be surprised if RED was running scared about the BM camera. Especially in wake of all the 4K discussion happening at NAB from what I can tell.

Brad Webb
04-17-2012, 12:07 PM
How's your hotel room at NAB?

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 12:07 PM
1st off - damn you guys are killing it. Didn't post anything because it would have been the same on all threads: "Awesome!"

Question: wireless video, live stream - does the Meizler Module do this? Or is it the other module only you're working on? ETA on this one? Can't be soon enough. Also: what's the streaming technology? Differently put: any chance for monitoring the camera's signal on an iPhone / iPad?

Man I wish I could be in Vegas right now, but our EPIC is working non stop. I blame you for me not being there... :)

Meizler module will do this... right now it doesn't but it will by the time it ships. It uses the same protocol as the standalone wireless module so the receivers will work the same.. and you can do multiple transmitters/receivers on the same set.

Iphone and Ipad streaming is not the best yet because of the lag built into the IOS protocol.... its the problem all these great solutions like teradeck have. Hopefully someone will figure that part out.

Bob Gundu
04-17-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm amazed at RED's transparency here. Kudos to RED!

Greg M
04-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Can you answer these questions about the Pro=IO:
http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?77181-PRO-IO&p=988372&viewfull=1#post988372

Its specifically about three outputs on the bottom.
1- The Time code lemo- Is this the same wiring config as Red One?
2- The 4 Pin GPI port- Is this also identical to Red One? (for example I have several preston cables that both power and trigger start/stop via this port on Red One)
3- What is the AUX port?

Assuming the answer to 1 and 2 is yes, this would be great news!!

Yusuf Thakur
Go for a swim in the desert, chill for a night, sleep???????

Yusuf Thakur
VFX.Dubai
www.vfxme.com

Danai Chutinaton
Loving all the NAB anouncements by RED. Amazing, simply amazing. Even more amazing is that you are taking time out to answer questions from us here!

Quick question, is 3k hdrx at 25fps on Scarlet a possibility for those of us in PAL land?

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Can you answer these questions about the Pro=IO:
http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?77181-PRO-IO&p=988372&viewfull=1#post988372

Its specifically about three outputs on the bottom.
1- The Time code lemo- Is this the same wiring config as Red One?
2- The 4 Pin GPI port- Is this also identical to Red One? (for example I have several preston cables that both power and trigger start/stop via this port on Red One)
3- What is the AUX port?

Assuming the answer to 1 and 2 is yes, this would be great news!!

Timecode :
Connector: EAG.0B.305.CLN
1. Camera Ground
2. Time code Input – SMPTE single-ended
3. Time code Input – SMPTE double ended
4. 48.00 KHz Word Clock Output
5. Time code Output

GPIO :

Connector: EAG.0B.304.CLN
1. Camera Ground
2. GPI A
3 GPO A
4. V Batt +

AUX POWER :

1. Camera Ground
2. Not used.
3. Not used
4. V Batt +

Jarred Land
Go for a swim in the desert, chill for a night, sleep???????

Yusuf Thakur
VFX.Dubai
www.vfxme.com (http://www.vfxme.com)

yes please :)

Tobias Straka
Meizler module will do this... right now it doesn't but it will by the time it ships. It uses the same protocol as the standalone wireless module so the receivers will work the same.. and you can do multiple transmitters/receivers on the same set.

Iphone and Ipad streaming is not the best yet because of the lag built into the IOS protocol.... its the problem all these great solutions like teradeck have. Hopefully someone will figure that part out.

And there goes another 13K... Thanks Jarred :)

Peter Karlsson
04-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Any reason why the Dragon sensor wont be in 4:3 (FF35) aspect ratio? I love to upgrade the sensor, but I would also love some extra height while your at it? :) Damn, it why not make it 6K pixel height once and for all at the same time since you always know people want more haha..

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 12:18 PM
We love Blackmagic.. we been fans of them for years. It is nice to have another company in the game that is willing to shake things up and not follow the "rules" :)

Andrew M.
04-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Any chance RED will make its own motorized solution for cine-lenses?

Andrew

Rick Darge
04-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Will Epic/Scarlet have the ability to write proxy files so we can use programs like FCP to edit with without transcoding?

Are you guys still going to make a proxy module? Any plans for Pro-Res or other formats besides h264?

How does Dragon affect the plans for full frame sensor in the future?

Why did Jim post that cryptic message months ago about keeping your Red One?

gregkraus
04-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Can you tell us if there is or will be any news regarding lenses. I am about to buy another set but would like to hold off if there is something around the corner.

Jon Carr
Since you guys are making Aluminum mount and titanium mount still lenses for two price points, are you planning on making a stainless PL mount closer to the canon/nikon mount price point?

Aaron Hucker
Huge nikon collection here...

Just wondering.. What are the main differences between the aluminum and titanium Nikon mounts aside from weight?
Thanks very much in advance.
Loving the new options.

Per von Koch
04-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Hi Jarred, I also wonder if quality will improve at 2K recording 300 fps?
But yeah, been using Epic for 2 months and enjoying every second of it :)

Shawn Nelson
04-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks Jarred! Much appreciated, I'm so bummed I missed this year.

What I'm really super curious about is how high the ISO of Dragon can go without objectionable grain? On EpicX, it seems ISO4000 is kinda tops, if not 3200, depending on type of light. Then you compare to the c300 (a camera I dont like, but it bears mentioning) can be pushed to ISO20,000 and it looks ok. Any chance of that type of performance from Dragon? shit, I'd love a sensor I could crank to 32,000. I'm dying to shoot a wide angle under a full moon! (call me crazy)

Greg M
04-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Timecode :
Connector: EAG.0B.305.CLN
1. Camera Ground
2. Time code Input – SMPTE single-ended
3. Time code Input – SMPTE double ended
4. 48.00 KHz Word Clock Output
5. Time code Output

GPIO :

1. Camera Ground
2. GPI A
3 GPO A
4. V Batt +

AUX POWER :

1. Camera Ground
2. Not used.
3. Not used
4. V Batt +

Good thing i'm not at NAB, or I would have kissed you on the lips.

This is great news. Thanks

Andy White
04-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Any chance of Epic in camera Ana playback - please :)

... and other Ana modes in Epic (4Kana would be nice).

Jarred Land
Our wireless video modules send video 1080p uncompressed... much better for recording and for devices that analyze the quality of the video feed ( i.e. 3D )

Jarred Land
Any chance of Epic in camera Ana playback - please :)

... and other Ana modes in Epic (4Kana would be nice).

coming...

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Good thing i'm not at NAB, or I would have kissed you on the lips.

This is great news. Thanks

heh heh heh damn. I was looking forward to finally getting a little love from you :)

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks Jarred! Much appreciated, I'm so bummed I missed this year.

What I'm really super curious about is how high the ISO of Dragon can go without objectionable grain? On EpicX, it seems ISO4000 is kinda tops, if not 3200, depending on type of light. Then you compare to the c300 (a camera I dont like, but it bears mentioning) can be pushed to ISO20,000 and it looks ok. Any chance of that type of performance from Dragon? shit, I'd love a sensor I could crank to 32,000. I'm dying to shoot a wide angle under a full moon! (call me crazy)

We are still tuning that right now... so can't give you an answer... Yet. :)

Álex Montoya
04-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Wow, that's BIG.

Jarred Land
Huge nikon collection here...

Just wondering.. What are the main differences between the aluminum and titanium Nikon mounts aside from weight?
Thanks very much in advance.
Loving the new options.

the Titnium Nikon mount is actually a bit heavier... but its 100 times stronger. you will see a difference when using heavier lenses.. less flex and distortion, and less back focus drift in extreme environments.

Andy White
coming...

Great - that's all I needed to hear :)

Thanks.

Yusuf Thakur
04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
We love Blackmagic.. we been fans of them for years. It is nice to have another company in the game that is willing to shake things up and not follow the "rules" :)

There are two companies I truly respect one is RED and the other Blackmagic, I have brought Decklink products
for the last twelve years, they make products which have truly contributed to our business and growth.
Reasonably priced and game-changers in workflow. The first product I bought was the original Decklink HD for US999/-
an unheard of thing in 2000-2002.

Here is an article that covers the RED ONE camera and Decklink products.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=9062

Strange the two best announcement on RAW workflow and compact cameras are from
an American company and a Australian. One was expected but where are the answers to WHY.

Yusuf Thakur
VFX,DUBAI.
www.vfxme.com

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi Jarred, I also wonder if quality will improve at 2K recording 300 fps?
But yeah, been using Epic for 2 months and enjoying every second of it :)

This is where the 512GB Turbo cards come in... you will be able to record high frame rates with a smaller compression ratio.

Shawn Nelson
04-17-2012, 12:32 PM
We are still tuning that right now... so can't give you an answer... Yet. :)

Awesome! That's the only place I wish for more from my EpicX. If you guys could nail that, Dragon will rule them all!

DJ Meyer
04-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Any Rocket updates coming?

Jon Nash
04-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Leica R mount? Any update ? sorry I couldn't make it to NAB... Have a beer for me :-)

Barry Bishop
04-17-2012, 12:35 PM

....that folks is class right there. Please give Ted a bottle of water for me. I know he's tired of talking. Jarred, get a jack and coke and hit up the tables. You all deserve it.

Scott Crawley
04-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Our wireless video modules send video 1080p uncompressed... much better for recording and for devices that analyze the quality of the video feed ( i.e. 3D )

Tight lips on this one for now, eh? I guess we'll have to remain patient.

Ryan Hamblin
Scarlet anamorphic support?

Demetri Zuev
This is where the 512GB Turbo cards come in... you will be able to record high frame rates with a smaller compression ratio.

Does that also apply to Scarlet?

Patrick Grossien
Will the Turbo Cards open up compression possibilities for Scarlet as well?
If so, since it's mainly an EPIC card because of the almost ferrari price point ;) is it possible to make smaller turbos as well?

Barry Bishop
04-17-2012, 12:37 PM
And lastly...any red rocket love?

NEIL ANDREW BATES
04-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Hi Jarred

Is the RED LASER PROJECTOR compatable with DOLBY 3D? Or is it's RED's own proprietory 3D system. Will you be making 3D glasses? In Children's size as well?

Dave Blackham
04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Jim mentioned noise floor was improved on Dragon, but by about how much ? lots ? little ? same ?

Elsie N
04-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Jarred, the Red Projector picture shows a Ti PL mount and a 50 mm Red Lens on it. I know naught about projectors and projection, so my question is, will there be any reason to exchange lenses (for IMAX projection perhaps?) for different types of showing? And outside of just plain being classy, any reason to use the Ti mount? (aside from the fact that I think that is the only kind of PL mount Red makes.)

Trevor Meeks
04-17-2012, 12:44 PM
EVF Thread?

Pax
04-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Jarred- Any RED ROCKET mobile device in the future?

Steve Johnson
04-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Jarred
Gutted I couldn't make it there.

Any chance you guys could make a version of Loom available like you did Tatoo last year in either 1080 or 2K? Please :))

Or to pick up on what someone said earlier about "Crossing The Line", how about a trilogy of "Crossing The Line", "Tatoo" and "Loom" at 4K with every RED projector sold?!?!? :))

Hee hee hee.

Agsin, thanks for showing the love to us that couldn't make it.

:))

L. Langer
04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Hi Jarred

Is the RED LASER PROJECTOR compatable with DOLBY 3D? Or is it's RED's own proprietory 3D system. Will you be making 3D glasses? In Children's size as well?

Dolby 3D encoded content will likely be fully compatible with the RED projector though Dolby has not clarified what Dolby 3D really is other than a vague 3D encoding process for video content that is supposed to be compatible with anything and everything as far as displays go.

Nicholas Shields
04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Is the Nikon mount a "lock-down" style a la PL or is it conventional f-mount?

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Any chance you guys could make a version of Loom available like you did Tatoo last year in either 1080 or 2K? Please :))

Steve, somewhere this was mentioned. Seems to be possible towards the end of NAB or after.

paulherrin
04-17-2012, 12:51 PM
RED LASER... :)

This just makes me happy. Can I get a 1B power connection and/or a redvolt module for portability?

And... if I make a super-cool projection art piece to show it off at RSH, can we have a little release party? :)

Maiara
04-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Close to starting up a new production company, and very close to getting our Epic gear. NAB has only made me more excited and confident in our RED-ness. =D

I have to ask, and please no one stone me, is the FF, 645, and the mystical 617 still in the pipeline? Also, would it be possible (theoretically) to use the Epic/Scarlet Brain as a Rocket, if the Rocket is essentially (as was once described), the back half of the camera? And the last, will there be the "true stills mode" that Ted described in the 10 Questions video on RED.com?

Thanks for taking the time to converse with your userbase, innovate the industry, destroy the competition, and inspire seasoned and new filmmakers/photographers alike.

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Tight lips on this one for now, eh? I guess we'll have to remain patient.

what do you want to know?

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Is the Nikon mount a "lock-down" style a la PL or is it conventional f-mount?

lock down

Bing Bailey
04-17-2012, 12:53 PM
if the 3D Laser Projector is modular with you be able to pop an anamorphic lens for scope films and 2:35:1 screens. does it upconvert 1080p to 4k. will it be as big as it appears now. can you control it with an ipad like the redray player. can you stream content directly to it over wifi/wired network

do we need a special screen for 2D , will red sell screens for 3D

Lliam Worthington
04-17-2012, 12:54 PM

What a fantastic post. F'ing love you guys.

Lauri Kettunen
04-17-2012, 12:55 PM
In addition to the wireless video, have you thought of a simple monitor/EVF cable extender? An extender that allowed to take the LCD/EVF to the limits of the Redmote range would make already a big difference.

One of my old wishes since the early days of R1 is the possibility to add an R3D frame with adjustable opacity as a layer above the monitor image.

Jack Colquitt
04-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Dumb question, but, do you think the Vmount for redmote can be mounted
(with the 2 hole, not only one) on other cheese plate, like Viewfactor Stealth Side Cheese Plate (http://www.viewfactor.net/products/stealth-plate.html) ?

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Close to starting up a new production company, and very close to getting our Epic gear. NAB has only made me more excited and confident in our RED-ness. =D

I have to ask, and please no one stone me, is the FF, 645, and the mystical 617 still in the pipeline? Also, would it be possible (theoretically) to use the Epic/Scarlet Brain as a Rocket, if the Rocket is essentially (as was once described), the back half of the camera? And the last, will there be the "true stills mode" that Ted described in the 10 Questions video on RED.com?

Thanks for taking the time to converse with your userbase, innovate the industry, destroy the competition, and inspire seasoned and new filmmakers/photographers alike.

Still in the pipe.. but focused on DRAGON right now.

The Rocket is a PC card you put in your Mac or PC and it accelerates the playback and conversion of your 4k/5K RED footage.. so you can play back footage in real time and transcode in realtime.

The stills mode concept has changed. It seemed like a good idea way back when, but in practice, almost all of the still photographers just shoot motion and pull stills from the feed... it is just a way better way to do it. For sharper frames, people use HDRX in a different way, they use the HDRX track that has a narrow shutter for pulling sharp stills.. and then use the normal track for video with motion blur.

Paul Duvilla
04-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Any news on the Ipad app?

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Dumb question, but, do you think the Vmount for redmote can be mounted
(with the 2 hole, not only one) on other cheese plate, like Viewfactor Stealth Side Cheese Plate (http://www.viewfactor.net/products/stealth-plate.html) ?

dont have that plate.. so don't know.. but its a standard 1/4-20 hole....

Scott Crawley
04-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Does it (Edit: the wireless transmitter) broadcast metadata too? Lens info? Start stop flags to trigger devices like the Pix recorders? With File names? Timecode? Clean feed only or can you select overlays?

Is this also to be part of the Redmote Pro?

NEIL ANDREW BATES
04-17-2012, 12:59 PM
@L.Langer

Thanks. Yes, Dolby and Texas-I are highly secretive about their technologies. I work in an independent cinema and when we went digital even the installation technicians said they weren't told everything. We currently use the Christie CP2000 projector but the RED projector looks comparitively compact and prompted me to wonder if a DOLBY filter wheel would fit inside. The cost of the glasses is also a big issue for us. Are they cheap eniough to sell to patrons? Are they equal to better than DOLBY? Will there be a royalty charge like REAL-D adds, etc

Maiara
04-17-2012, 01:01 PM

The Rocket is a PC card you put in your Mac or PC and it accelerates the playback and conversion of your 4k/5K RED footage.. so you can play back footage in real time and transcode in realtime.

The stills mode concept has changed. It seemed like a good idea way back when, but in practice, almost all of the still photographers just shoot motion and pull stills from the feed... it is just a way better way to do it. For sharper frames, people use HDRX in a different way, they use the HDRX track that has a narrow shutter for pulling sharp stills.. and then use the normal track for video with motion blur.

Thanks for the answers.

We're definitely going to be getting the Rocket, and one of the Thunderbolt-adapters, I just meant theoretically, if there were a Thunderbolt (or similar) port on the Epic/Scarlet, could it be used in the same fashion?

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 01:02 PM
If there's no stills mode coming, will we be able to set markers during the shoot?

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Does it (R90) broadcast metadata too? Lens info? Start stop flags? File names? Timecode? Clean feed only or can you select overlays?

R90 is a tripod head to move from horizontal to portrait mode. nothing else. ok, and it does so smoothly ;)

Jean Wallez
04-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Which resolutions will cover the RPPs on the 6K Dragon sensor.
Thank's for this new EVF/LCD output module.

Scott Crawley
04-17-2012, 01:06 PM
R90 is a tripod head to move from horizontal to portrait mode. nothing else. ok, and it does so smoothly ;)

Oh, I saw it pictured with the wireless transmitter and took the wrong name like a dope. My questions relate to the transmitter.

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Can we set up a wish list for firmware improvements? Or who do we turn to for that?

as in:
get the ability to set markers during shoots, favorably via redmote.
use the LCD Menu keys to directly access the functions / settings and set via scroll wheels without having to confirm twice via the enter key.

sorry this is not NAB related, but I would ask you if I were standing next to you ;)

Häakon
04-17-2012, 01:08 PM
He meant the new wireless module. :) They were both mentioned together earlier so I can understand the confusion.

There isn't a separate topic yet (I don't believe) for the wireless module, so my guess is a lot of people don't even know such a thing was announced. As you can imagine, they're just slightly busy over there. :)

paulherrin
04-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Can we set up a wish list for firmware improvements? Or who do we turn to for that?

as in:
use the LCD Menu keys to directly access the functions / settings and set via scroll wheels without having to confirm twice via the enter key.

sorry this is not NAB related, but I would ask you if I were standing next to you ;)

i thought you could set markers with the side handle?

options are good, though.

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Oh, I saw it pictured with the wireless transmitter and took the wrong name like a dope. My questions relate to the transmitter.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude. :) just too many things running in my head. the wireless transmitter doesn't have a special name yet as far as I know.

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 01:12 PM
i thought you could set markers with the side handle?

options are good, though.

Thanks, Paul. I thought that only works during playback. Guess I have to check out the key configs again ;)

Michael Lofquist
04-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Jarred

any ETA on the list of Leica lenses that will work with the new Leica mount?

enjoy NAB

Michael

William Dempsey
04-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Any info on when the(single) still frame modes will be active?

Stivan Widick
04-17-2012, 01:21 PM

That's the first thing I thought when I saw the physical design of the thing. Good on them.

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Any info on when the(single) still frame modes will be active?

Jarred just said, that idea died, because all the photographers where shooting clips.. Check the older posts of his.

Scott Crawley
04-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Now that I'm less confused... Is the wireless transmitter meant to work with decks like the Pix 240 and the Redmote Pro? Or will the Redmote Pro only work with the Meitzler module? Does the wireless transmitter send a full compliment of metadata, and can it be displayed in overlays, or is it just a clean feed?

Thanks for your patience.

William Dempsey
04-17-2012, 01:24 PM
I shoot product photography. Things that don't move. A burst is a massive waste of data space. Where is the post you are referring to?

Also I should add that occasionally I resort to using stop motion as a technique. Not being able to shoot single frames would be a disaster for me.

Johnny Friday
04-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Jarred:
i posted same on Nikon thread: but since you are in Q&A now....is the RED Nikon mount ONLY electronic? basically what i'd like to know is will it have manual control of iris if the user wants? or is it only via side handle and electronic control using one of the wheels on the side handle? DO WE have option for both? Thanks....

Loic Parent
04-17-2012, 01:29 PM
First Congrats on all the new NAB realeases, it just show once again that your are listening.

Any update on when third parties will be able to access the remote control SDK for the Epic/Scarlet (Ethernet or RS232) ?

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 01:29 PM
dont have that plate.. so don't know.. but its a standard 1/4-20 hole....

is that 2 holes on the VMount for Redmote ? because there's only one screw. is that enough to tighten it down so it won't budge?

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 01:32 PM
I shoot product photography. Things that don't move. A burst is a massive waste of data space. Where is the post you are referring to?

Also I should add that occasionally I resort to using stop motion as a technique. Not being able to shoot single frames would be a disaster for me.

Guess we will have to wake him up now, don't we?

I know what you mean, same thing here! I still want that singles mode, too!

...The stills mode concept has changed. It seemed like a good idea way back when, but in practice, almost all of the still photographers just shoot motion and pull stills from the feed... it is just a way better way to do it. For sharper frames, people use HDRX in a different way, they use the HDRX track that has a narrow shutter for pulling sharp stills.. and then use the normal track for video with motion blur.

Jarred, are you listening! :( stop motion is definitely needed!!

L. Langer
04-17-2012, 01:34 PM

You shoot video at the highest resolution and then use individual frames as images/photos. It works perfectly for stop motion because you can just let the camera run while you fiddle with whatever it is you are shooting and then simply go back to the appropriate images.

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 01:39 PM
You shoot video at the highest resolution and then use individual frames as images/photos. It works perfectly for stop motion because you can just let the camera run while you fiddle with whatever it is you are shooting and then simply go back to the appropriate images.

the fiddling part often takes too long to let the camera running.

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 01:41 PM
I'd like a mode where you start a clip and with each press of a button a new frame is added to that clip. perfect for stop motion and stills mode.

this doesn't sound too complicated, but what do I know!

William Dempsey
04-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the reply Patrick.

They seriously need to rethink this decision ! Not all still shooters shoot fashion. I do shoot people but that is only a portion of the stills work I do. Still shooting was a major part of the reason I could justify purchasing this camera . I can shoot 12 gigs of stills in a day one frame at a time. In bursts that could end up as 50 or 100 gigs. This is supposed to be a DSMC. Please RED don't foprget the S part.

Alexandros Tsoupras
04-17-2012, 01:49 PM
+48V phantom power?
Audio playback?
16X9 in all resolutions?

Alain M
04-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Hey Jarred! You guys are kicking everybody's asses without using your foot! LOL Question, anytime we will see the option on Scarlet of 120 FPS @ 1080P or above resolution? INHO 1K seems a little contradictory to HIGH RESOLUTION STANDARD! Dont you agree?

Thanks!

Keep kicking Ass

Silvana Grob
04-17-2012, 01:53 PM
A lot of german Homepages talking about the Dragon is 6000x4000pixels...true?

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 01:55 PM

the pixel size hasn't been announced yet.
which sites are you referring to?

Laco Zamba
04-17-2012, 01:58 PM
I think that Jim mentioned that Dragon is 2:1 aspect ratio

Jon Carr
Wasn't there a picture of a epic with a RED logo follow focus a few years ago? Could there be a nice RED studio FF to compete against the FF5 one day?

Marc Berger
Jarred, that´s right, I love the ability as well to shoot 8 or 12 fps (or more) without the shutter sound of a DSLR, but it´s a pain to shoot handheld 8fps (or less like 1fps) with the same low refreshing framerate on the LCD. Makes pulling focus nearly impossible.
Do you have any solution for this in the future?
Thank you,
and have a nice party at NAB,
Marc

William Dempsey
04-17-2012, 01:59 PM
I can't imagine shooting stop motion as a constant stream of frames. I have spent up to 18 hours with out a break shooting stop motion sequences in the past. You would spend days locating and isolating the proper frames. I shot stop motion with a Nikon back in 1999 on a job and that was a royal pain to assemble in post. I should note that the job only had about 10 extra stray frames that had to be removed due to errors. Can't even imagine thousands of extra frames.

Now on the stills side if they could program 5 or 10 frame brackets as bursts it might be a workable solution for product shooters. Then again still cameras need a single frame mode even if only a few people like my self plan to use it.

PLEASE RED! A stills camera needs to be able to shoot stills too.

Barry Bishop
04-17-2012, 01:59 PM
This is me thinking out loud here...but what about claymation at 5k or 6k...they would surely benefit from having a still frame...just one of many ideas.

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 02:02 PM
If the still option is not manageable, another option could be a clip with intervals of 1 frame per X seconds or minutes.

William Dempsey
04-17-2012, 02:03 PM
I'd like a mode where you start a clip and with each press of a button a new frame is added to that clip. perfect for stop motion and stills mode.

this doesn't sound too complicated, but what do I know!

Hey Patrick,

I second that idea! That would be a perfect solution.

david berez
04-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Jarred,

Thanks for all the quick replies. So, if RED is rethinking the "Stills" mode (understandable) does that have any impact on the time-lapse functions? And the million dollar question . . . will enhanced time-lapse functions be part of the next update in a few weeks? Would be helpful to know to make plans. Thanks very much Jarred from the guys back home.

David

Mike Hechanova
04-17-2012, 02:04 PM

Desired shutter has always been the deterring factor in my adopting of the shoot-stills-and-motion together approach. More often then not, I'd want vastly different shutter angles for stills vs motion. I always thought one would just have to be compromised. Never thought about using HDRx this way. Too cool. Thanks for sharing.

So when you say the stills mode concept has changed, do you mean you dont plan on doing much more to the stills workflow then the method people are already using now, or is there still something coming down the pipeline that is a revised stills mode concept?

*edit* as I just read the last two pages of the thread I see others haved chimed in with the request to bring a single shot mode as was planned. +1 on that front

Silvana Grob
04-17-2012, 02:05 PM
the pixel size hasn't been announced yet.
which sites are you referring to?

Patrick
Golem.de or Slashcam for example
http://www.golem.de/news/red-kinokamera-fuer-filme-mit-6-000-x-4-000-pixeln-1204-91199.html
http://www.slashcam.de/news/single/RED-noch-2012-mit-6K-Dragon-Sensor-Upgrade-fuer-EPI-9821.html

and there are some rumors on the german FCP-Forum as well

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 02:05 PM
This is me thinking out loud here...but what about claymation at 5k or 6k...they would surely benefit from having a still frame...just one of many ideas.

exactly, barry. That's what we're referring to. I think some kind of single frame mode is really essential! even if its the 1 frame per X sec/min idea or a clip which "sleeps" during recording until the next frame gets triggered. I don't need stills coming out, but controllable single shots are really essential to some.

Michael Panfeld
04-17-2012, 02:07 PM
on the Meizler Module, will it play with a variety of wireless FF motors, controllers, timecode and audio transmitters, video receivers etc? Or, is this limited to a specific brand(s) of transmitter/receiver/motors?

Will 3rd party products connecting to the MModule need to get RED-approved?

paulherrin
04-17-2012, 02:09 PM

that may be true for studio shooting... that's not how i shoot photography. sometimes, i seriously just need 1 frame. that's it. maybe i'm taking a texture reference... the wall isn't moving anyways. maybe i'm taking a picture of a mountain... it's not changing anytime soon. sometimes, it just comes down to the feel of carefully composing and pressing a shutter button to capture the frame, and knowing you got 'it'. it's silly to turn the record on and off as fast as you can to get something that's not going anywhere, cramps the style. there's a lot more to photography than sports, wildlife, and portraiture. really doesn't always make sense to record motion . DSMC. options... right? :)

stop motion is definitely needed!!

i agree... often this is done using external hardware... but it would be nice to have the most basic functionality for people that don't have that, or don't even know about it. simplicity = creativity.

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Patrick
Golem.de or Slashcam for example
http://www.golem.de/news/red-kinokamera-fuer-filme-mit-6-000-x-4-000-pixeln-1204-91199.html
http://www.slashcam.de/news/single/RED-noch-2012-mit-6K-Dragon-Sensor-Upgrade-fuer-EPI-9821.html

and there are some rumors on the german FCP-Forum as well

Thanks Silvana!
These can't be right because these specs refer to the FF35 monstro sensor. Jim (or Jarred) mentioned that the Dragon is not one of the monstros.
This one is a S35 sensor with higher specs.

The Dragon sensor is slightly larger than the Mysterium-X sensor and the pixel size is slightly smaller. The pixel design and sensor design makes all the difference in the world.
Most all of your current lenses will work.

Jim

Sensor size is 30x15.8mm. Pixel size is 5 micron.

Jim

Oliver Skibbe
04-17-2012, 02:12 PM
PLEASE RED! A stills camera needs to be able to shoot stills too.
Yes, losless RAW files please. BTW: what about flash sync?

paulherrin
04-17-2012, 02:18 PM
anyone else wondering what happened to the interchangeable OLPF/ND combo?

Andrae Palmer
04-17-2012, 02:20 PM

In what way has the stills mode concept changed?

Alexandros Tsoupras
04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Yes, losless RAW files please. BTW: what about flash sync?

+1 on the still camera with flash sync.

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 02:30 PM

This to me is your NAB gift! Thanks! really looking forward to it!!!

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Does it (Edit: the wireless transmitter) broadcast metadata too? Lens info? Start stop flags to trigger devices like the Pix recorders? With File names? Timecode? Clean feed only or can you select overlays?

Can transmit overlays or clean. And is one of the pieces of REDMOTE PRO... infact we even send touchscreen commands back and forth through it... i'm sure you can figure out what that means :)

It is HDMI based... so no timecode yet. yet.

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 02:44 PM
+1 on the still camera with flash sync.

Flash sync is in an engineering build now.. finally. will be in 2 or 3 builds down the road.

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 02:44 PM
In what way has the stills mode concept changed?

the little switch on the front of the handle that goes from motion to stills. That switch will likely just be a change between two different presets.

Scott Crawley
04-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Can transmit overlays or clean. And is one of the pieces of REDMOTE PRO... infact we even send touchscreen commands back and forth through it... i'm sure you can figure out what that means :)

Nice!!! And thanks!

Oliver Skibbe
04-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Flash sync is in an engineering build now.. finally. will be in 2 or 3 builds down the road.

Awesome!

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 02:46 PM
anyone else wondering what happened to the interchangeable OLPF/ND combo?

it is there... some of you have already switched your OLPF's and the bushings in the field :)

Still working on the ND's.... we needed to wait for Dragon to make sure the densities of the filters and flare all played well together Dragon and MX.

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 02:49 PM

that is a bit different.. and can be done with a preset button to just take one frame. or 15 frames. etc.

Jonathan McGuire
04-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Any possibility of the REDray Projector using spectral filters rather than polarized when it is released?

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 02:52 PM
@L.Langer

Thanks. Yes, Dolby and Texas-I are highly secretive about their technologies. I work in an independent cinema and when we went digital even the installation technicians said they weren't told everything. We currently use the Christie CP2000 projector but the RED projector looks comparitively compact and prompted me to wonder if a DOLBY filter wheel would fit inside. The cost of the glasses is also a big issue for us. Are they cheap eniough to sell to patrons? Are they equal to better than DOLBY? Will there be a royalty charge like REAL-D adds, etc

normal RealD glasses will work.. you just get some ghosting that you have all seen before. The best glasses are ones that are matched to the screen and the projector, and there will be ones matched to the REDray Laser projector in disposable, cheap, and expensive version.

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 02:53 PM

Nope...

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 02:55 PM

as in:

Markers is actually there it's just not enabled yet. Actually it is enabled in REDCINE-X pro.. just not in public camera builds. That is coming soon.

That one is long overdue :)

William Dempsey
04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
So Jarred,

There will be a single frame stills mode for those of us who need to be able to shoot one frame at a time?

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 02:59 PM
+48V phantom power?
Audio playback?
16X9 in all resolutions?

Heh Heh your gonna love the next build... :)

Which.. btw.. is also the first build where we turn on the Gyro and Accelerometers that have been sitting in the camera patiently waiting :)

Omar Al-Masab
04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Is phantom power coming in the next build

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 03:01 PM
So Jarred,

There will be a single frame stills mode for those of us who need to be able to shoot one frame at a time?

Yes of course... that will become just a mappable setting instead of a whole stills mode.

Jarred Land
Is phantom power coming in the next build

Yes...

Mike Yonts

Which.. btw.. is also the first build where we turn on the Gyro and Accelerometers that have been sitting in the camera patiently waiting :)

Ooh, like maybe a little thing in the viewfinder that tells you if you're not level?

Scott Crawley
POW! ... And Land drops a major bomb just as things begin to quiet down, taking everyone by surprise. Damn!

Naim Sutherland
04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Hey Jarred,

Sorry if this has already been answered, anyone feel free to chime in.

Sounds like the Redmote Pro requires the Meizler module or the Wireless Module, is that right?

How will Redmote Pro handle witness marks? The biggest complaint from the Birger/Impero system (once you get it working), is that you are relying entirely on your own marks, there is no way to eyeball distance at all. Will that still be the case with Redmote Pro?

Thanks!

William Dempsey
04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Jarred,

That made my day! Any idea when a stills function will be available?

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey Jarred,

Sorry if this has already been answered, anyone feel free to chime in.

Sounds like the Redmote Pro requires the Meizler module or the Wireless Module, is that right?

Thanks!

nope... not required at all.

dealing with witness marks is going to be a whole different story when you can actually see what you are shooting when you look down on your controller..

Patrick Grossien
Markers is actually there it's just not enabled yet. Actually it is enabled in REDCINE-X pro.. just not in public camera builds. That is coming soon.

Hooray ! :)

And Hooray again on the coming stills button!

Brandon J.F.

Oh, man. Really excited now :)

Ryan Flesher
04-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Will all the RED PRO Lenses cover Dragon 6k? You said "some s35 lenses will."

Great job and thanks for taking time to feed the hungry Red Goblins.

Ryan

George Tsai
Yes...

yay i've been waiting for this:-) Modified my mic a while ago to use phantom power instead of button battery but havent been able to use it yet:-P

Patrick Grossien

oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! this is getting sick!!!

Mike Tiffee
04-17-2012, 03:08 PM
I believe it was said earlier that the firmware currently has little to no power management. Is this still being addressed and what kind of improvements if any are we looking at?

Adrian T.
04-17-2012, 03:08 PM

Wow! What else is in there we don't know about yet? :scared:

Antonio Forjaz
04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=Jarred Land;989356]Heh Heh your gonna love the next build... :)

Which.. btw.. is also the first build where we turn on the Gyro and Accelerometers that have been sitting in the camera

Hi Jarred, can you tell us What Those will do?

Brandon H
When do we see some Nikon love?

Brandon J.F.

dealing with witness marks is going to be a whole different story when you can see what you are shooting when you look down on your controller..

Will there be a way to control normal PL mount lenses with the Redmote Pro?

Patrick Grossien

dealing with witness marks is going to be a whole different story when you can see what you are shooting when you look down on your controller..

uhm, redmote pro has a built in monitor? as in live feed!? aaaaaah! gimme,gimme,gimme!

Mike Tiffee
04-17-2012, 03:10 PM
It's threads like these that were a big consideration when I decided to buy a RED camera.

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Will there be a way to control normal PL mount lenses with the Redmote Pro?

as in "Meizler Module"? ;)

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 03:11 PM
This is the best thread of 2012! (until now!) Thanks Jarred! Where do I send the Nutella jars to?

Brandon J.F.
04-17-2012, 03:12 PM
as in "Meizler Module"? ;)

Well, preferably something a bit cheaper ;)

Steve Sherrick
04-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Shipping in August!

paul engstrom
04-17-2012, 03:17 PM
RED electronic lenses still in the pipeline?
Still thinking OLED focus markings?

thanks for this Q & A.

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Well, preferably something a bit cheaper ;)

Hehe :) I see what you mean...

Mestizo Devon
04-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Jarred,

That made my day! Any idea when a stills function will be available?

+1

Thank you

Patrick Grossien
04-17-2012, 03:19 PM
+1 on the electronic lens info. that question got lost in the storm in here somewhere ;)

Mestizo Devon
I'm wondering how the ND will work out, I totally missed the bus on that one.

jochem bakker
I believe it was said earlier that the firmware currently has little to no power management. Is this still being addressed and what kind of improvements if any are we looking at?

+1 and could i add to that: Is it going to be possible to choose the power source in a future firmware? the power menu already indicates the different parameters per source, but it would be sweet if you could manually swap which source feeds the camera. Makes hot swapping much nicer!

Omar Al-Masab
Is the iPad app still on track

paul engstrom
Also, separate question:

The sign up / line up / purchase of the Meizler Module... Any word on how that will happen or even approximately when that will happen. We need 'em and want to know when to que up to buy them.

Jose Lomeña
04-17-2012, 03:21 PM
What's the price of ssd 512??... Will be a 128gb ssd turbo?

Trevor Meeks
04-17-2012, 03:21 PM

read the Nikon mount thread... in Recon/NAB 2012

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 03:22 PM

yeah we suck... thats on the list.. but you guys keep asking for all the cool fun stuff first so it keeps getting pushed back. " Power Management" just isn't all that sexy.. but ironically is probably more important than anyone gives it credit for.

Jarred Land
04-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Is the iPad app still on track

Yup...

William Dempsey
04-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Jarred,

Any time frame on the stills function?

paulherrin
04-17-2012, 03:27 PM

it is there... some of you have already switched your OLPF's and the bushings in the field :)

Still working on the ND's.... we needed to wait for Dragon to make sure the densities of the filters and flare all played well together Dragon and MX.

that is a bit different.. and can be done with a preset button to just take one frame. or 15 frames. etc.

normal RealD glasses will work.. you just get some ghosting that you have all seen before. The best glasses are ones that are matched to the screen and the projector, and there will be ones matched to the REDray Laser projector in disposable, cheap, and expensive version.

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!!! :)

you guys rock. can't wait.

now... about laser beta testing. it's gonna need battle testing for what i want to do with it... ;)

Will Wernick
04-17-2012, 03:27 PM
yeah we suck... thats on the list.. but you guys keep asking for all the cool fun stuff first so it keeps getting pushed back. " Power Management" just isn't all that sexy.. but ironically is probably more important than anyone gives it credit for.

I love the cool new stuff, but I will take a big helping of power management any day over new features right now:) I use my camera a lot and when asked what I dislike, this is basically the only thing on the list, and I end up ranting about it for 5 minutes. Most people look at me puzzled ;)

Was blown away by what I saw at NAB! Amazing Work :)

Peter Plevritis
04-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Will Redmote Pro be out before the end of the year? What more can you say about it?

Great news about the Gyro and Accelerometers - recorded in Metadata? I seem to remember GPS talked about at some point - was I just dreaming?

Adam Welch
04-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Sounds like all the cool features will be available when I finally order my Scarlet later this year :)

RayFrisby
04-17-2012, 03:30 PM
If you decide to sit out the Dragon upgrade for Epic/Scarlet can you still upgrade to Monstro when available ?
Love the 6K but FF with increased Low light performance is something that really appeals to me.

Marden Blake

Put an accent mark on it and it is. "Power Managément by RED DIGITALÉ"

paulherrin
Sounds like all the cool features will be available when I finally order my Scarlet later this year :)

coolest feature is the beautiful 4k r3d's... :)

second coolest feature... this community right here.

Ryan.Green
04-17-2012, 03:31 PM

VERY important... would love some power management LOOOOOOVE IT... and errrrm GYROS and Accelerometers WAHAAYYY

Mike Tiffee
yeah we suck...

I strongy disagree.

Trevor Meeks
Jarred,

Any time frame on the stills function?

Read through this thread... there is already discussion about that.

Curran Giddens
04-17-2012, 03:32 PM
And is one of the pieces of REDMOTE PRO... infact we even send touchscreen commands back and forth through it... i'm sure you can figure out what that means :)

Touch Focus tracking using a wireless 9" Touchscreen LCD. Wait, what were we talking about?

Alvise Tedesco
04-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Wonderful thread and answers. Thanks Jarred.

Is there a Redrocket 2 around the corner?

paulherrin
04-17-2012, 03:35 PM
here's one...

Will there be faster 128 and 256 cards soon?

Chad Bonanno
04-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Jarred,
Any plans to support time stretching in redCine-x. The redCine-x guys told me no, but it would be beneficial for guys like me shooting at a base timecode of 23.976 , but shooting 48 or 60. This requires a lot of time stretching in premiere to get some of that footage back to "normal" speed.

William Dempsey
04-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Read through this thread... there is already discussion about that.

Hey Trevor,

I've been following the still mode talk pretty closely. We just established a few pages ago that the cameras will actually be able to do stills after confusion from a earlier post . I have not seen any mention of a time frame on this function ? Could you please site the post?

Thanks.

Omar Al-Masab
04-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Any 2k plans for the 9inch monitor

Alexander Alexandrov
04-17-2012, 03:45 PM
any possibility of an anamorphic height sensor?

Mike P.
04-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Any idea what's happening with all those R1MXs that got swapped in the Epic Stage exchanges? Are there going to be discounted battle-tested ones or am I just opening a can of worms here?

I just get visions of huge stockpile just sitting in a storage room at RED collecting dust.

James McLellan
04-17-2012, 03:49 PM

dealing with witness marks is going to be a whole different story when you can actually see what you are shooting when you look down on your controller..

This is exaclty what I have been thinking that you guys were working on. Can't wait.

Adam Howden
04-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Bring on Firmware 3.1, yes please!

Jon MIchael Puntervold
04-17-2012, 03:53 PM
First:
Congratulations on the amazing progress and exciting new product releases!

Second, questions:
Is i/interface coming to Epic and Scarlet?
Will the new batch of Pro Primes feature a metadata interface?
Can RedCode become GPU accelerated in the next months?

paulherrin
04-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Any 2k plans for the 9inch monitor

apple already made one... it's called an iPad, i think. correct me if i'm wrong ;)

Trevor Meeks
04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Exactly.

Well, technically Samsung makes it, right? :)

Kevin Wild
04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
This is an awesome thread, Jarred. Thanks for doing it. Funny, but yesterday a group of 2 or 3 of us drilled Jarred at the booth with almost every one of these questions. He answered all of them, albeit with a few more f-bombs dropped in. Ha ha.

You guys should also know at least 3 times when questions were asked, Jarred replied with a laugh "We would never do that to you guys." Seriously, technology/video industry consumers are so incredibly cynical from their past experiences with other companies that it's hard for them to actually understand how cool RED is...and what they're trying to do. It's fun to watch.

Thanks again. Onward.

Oh, my question: Any chance RCX will get secondaries at any point? That would be HUGE!

Kevin

Björn Benckert
04-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Question / sugeston.

If no still mode. Could you not let us address the side handle red button to a "marker" it would be great even for motion. just push that button while recording and the current recorded frame gets a tag. thats' possible to jump to in red cine x pro then the still photo guys that want to snap frames can do that all they want while the camera is in record mode. For motion I would like to do the same for the good takes. Even give the director the red mote so he can trough in tag marks for good moments in the takes...