PDA

View Full Version : BOMB EVF (OLED) - First Impressions and Review

Rob Anderson
04-17-2012, 09:00 PM
BOMB EVF (OLED)
http://www.red.com/store/products/red-pro-evf-oled (SKU# 730-0010)

The original announcement thread went missing, but Jarred introduced the BOMB EVF (OLED) Sunday -- along with all of the other cool NAB 2012 stuff. It's $3,900 new. Existing LCOS owners can pay $1200 for the upgrade ($900 if you bought an LCOS in the last 30-days). It boasts more accurate color, better environment/temp performance, same form factor. Sold.

Today I hit the NAB floor and made the trade. Just spent the last hour testing it out.

I'm super impressed. Hands-down, the best electronic viewfinder I've ever used. Exactly what I had hoped for in every way. In layman's terms; blacks are black. Colors are right on. Screen is razor sharp. Feels like the same weight as the LCOS and has the same mounting options. Both very good things. My Gunner+Epic shoulder rig will be much better off now as I can lose the janky rails system I bolted together for an eye-level touch mount. I'll be all EVF for running and gunning now and much better for it. If you're on the fence and already own an LCOS option, there should be no question. It's worth the upgrade fee. Huge improvement. If you haven't picked up an EVF yet, you'll definitely want to give this one a try.

The other issue, and this one seemed to have been a personal one for whatever reason; I would get strange flickering in my eye whenever I blinked and shifted my pupil [when using the LCOS]. Other people in my crew did not experience this but for me, it was most definitely there. It forced me to concentrate on not moving my pupil while looking through the EVF and making sure I didn't try to track around the menus too frequently while moving. A real pain but apparently "unique" to something about my own eyesight. That said, I get none of that using the OLED and that is a major bonus for me.

I climbed over the fence from the DSLR world and this is what I had wanted all along. I'm thrilled to have it.

Big thanks to Jarred and Brent for putting this in my hands! It's been said many times but with service like this, we'll never tire saying it; RED is the best company, with the best product and service in the world.

Now all I need is the +1 MONITOR ADAPTER...

*The last photo I included is looking through the EVF to give you an idea of the much improved color levels. No more milkiness at all. I shot this through a Nikon Zoom so excuse the motion blur and otherwise crap photo. But this should give you some idea. Obviously the real deal is super sharp.

David Collard
04-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Great POV shot nonetheless.

Indeed, very cool that Jarred did the trade for you at the booth.

Congrats.

Phil Holland
04-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Now that's customer service!

I agree about everything you said Rob. Black and white levels are deep and clean. This one's a home run.

Bob Gundu
04-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Definitely the best EVF I have ever seen. Buy with confidence.

stu aull
04-18-2012, 01:43 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I do not see the "BOMB" inscription?!
Now me and my TSA Peeps will have nothing to talk about while doing the Cavity Search!
:(

Stu Aull
S-X #00199
BOMB EVF

Bob Gundu
04-18-2012, 01:46 AM
There's always letraset!

Now me and my TSA Peeps will have nothing to talk about while doing the Cavity Search!

Stu Aull
S-X #00199
BOMB EVF

Peter Majtan
04-18-2012, 04:16 AM

Stu Aull
S-X #00199
BOMB EVF

IMHO that is as big of an improvement as the technical side... ;o)

Harrison Diamond
04-18-2012, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the review, Rob! For those of us who have never used the Bomb, how's the weight?

Rob Anderson
04-18-2012, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the review, Rob! For those of us who have never used the Bomb, how's the weight?
In my rough guesstimate; about the same as a roll of quarters. Dense and well built. But not heavy. I have a scale sitting within inches of it in the studio, but I shouldn't even be awake right now. ;)

Martin Weiss
04-18-2012, 06:30 AM

It is there, just covered by the (uniquely used) Spinner. See picture #2, you can see the R and B from RED BOMB.'

Yet another advantage of having a spinner ;)

Jon MIchael Puntervold
04-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Yet another advantage of having a spinner ;)

Hehe, agreed...

John Cordell
04-18-2012, 09:39 AM
The other issue, and this one seemed to have been a personal one for whatever reason; I would get strange flickering in my eye whenever I blinked and shifted my pupil [when using the LCOS]. Other people in my crew did not experience this but for me, it was most definitely there. It forced me to concentrate on not moving my pupil while looking through the EVF and making sure I didn't try to track around the menus too frequently while moving. A real pain but apparently "unique" to something about my own eyesight. That said, I get none of that using the OLED and that is a major bonus for me.

This is great news. The effect you're talking about is the "rainbow" effect. Most commonly found on early DLP projectors, it's an artifact of showing the red, green and blue components serially (at different times) rather than all at once. If you let your eye move around, you'll see a brief rainbow of RGB wherever there is a high contrast image on the screen. White text on black is the worst, which is why I've always wanted an option to change the text color on the EVF status info. Only about 5% of people are susceptible to the rainbow effect, which makes for fun forum arguments of "that projector sucks and gives me headaches" vs. "no, it's perfect!" -- turns out both sides are right, they are just experiencing different things. Anyway, I'm also highly sensitive to the rainbow effect which has made the original EVF less than ideal for me. Really glad to hear the OLED solves this problem for us 5%! Thanks for the info.

Russ Fill
04-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Just for the record Rob Im glad you mentioned this as I see it to and when I asked others they always say it looked fine to them. Im glad Im not crazy and my camera is showing only me something to make me crazy.
Thanks for the update. Im going to be in line to upgrade my viewfinder but I was pretty impressed with the Bomb now.

Jarek Zabczynski
04-19-2012, 12:49 AM
So no rainbow effect? The original Bomb is useless to me, I just see a colorful mess when I look through one.

Gunleik Groven
04-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Good. Sounds like the new EVF is working. That's great!!!

Paul Nordin
04-19-2012, 01:22 AM
So no rainbow effect? The original Bomb is useless to me, I just see a colorful mess when I look through one..

No rainbow effect. I spent some time looking through it yesterday, and like eveyrone else was immediately hit by the sense of "Fuck yeah" night and day. I'm upgradeing mine as soon as possible.

Mark Toia
04-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Ordered mine today... Cant get them quick enough

Curran Giddens
04-19-2012, 01:29 AM
This was the best unexpected announcement, especially with the Upgrade option. Can't wait to send in this old EVF that has been mostly just sitting on the shelf.

Trevor Meeks
04-19-2012, 01:48 AM
This was the best unexpected announcement, especially with the Upgrade option. Can't wait to send in this old EVF that has been mostly just sitting on the shelf.

Agreed... and I'm kind of bummed that those of us who purchased the original BOMBs don't get priority on the new units/upgrades... especially those of us who are unhappy with the quality and functionality of the units.

Tony Lorentzen
04-19-2012, 03:51 AM
The new OLED bomb is truely great - no doubt. Colors are great, huge improvement and the rainbow effect is gone. Only issue I have with it now is that the eyepiece is a little small for some clients and I'm still having problems getting the eyepiece cushins to stay on (as with the old one).

stu aull
04-20-2012, 02:57 AM
The new OLED bomb is truely great - no doubt. Colors are great, huge improvement and the rainbow effect is gone. Only issue I have with it now is that the eyepiece is a little small for some clients and I'm still having problems getting the eyepiece cushins to stay on (as with the old one).

may this be the worst problem!

Stu Aull
S-X #00199
BOMB-Pre
Alaska

Gunleik Groven
04-20-2012, 04:12 AM
Amen!

may this be the worst problem!

Stu Aull
S-X #00199
BOMB-Pre
Alaska

Mike Halper
04-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Got my BOMB OLED EVF today and can truly say it now lives up to the name BOMB, because it is the bomb. Definitely the best EVF I've ever seen... BEST. EVER. Great job, Red!

Rob Anderson
04-21-2012, 12:21 AM
I got asked by someone else what's up with me using the Spinner+RED Arm, as shown in the photos. Obviously you can bolt the BOMB directly onto the RED Arm (without the Spinner), so what the heck am I doing? Before picking up the OLED EVF, I was using a Swat Rail setup connected to the Tactical Rib mount. I would switch between the Touch LCD, mounted at eye level when using the shoulder Gunner (preferred sight). I would rarely/occasionally invoke the EVF when I needed to spot focus, by doing a quick swap. Eventually I got tired of juggling the monitor and the EVF, so I bolted an Arm on the top of the Epic and kept the EVF floating there, still on the Spinner mount if I needed to lose the Touch, Arm, etc for weight.

With the much improved OLED, now I use the Spinner+Swat Rail combination, mounted at eye level, hanging off the Tactical Rib (left-side).

Just in case anyone else was wondering. ;)

Jon Nash
04-23-2012, 07:22 AM
This is an exciting breakthrough indeed and I'm very greatfull to Red for th upgrade facility.
One of the issues I had with my old bomb was image tearing and judder regardless of shutter speed. Can anyone confirm this area has had improved upon?

Norbert Jalitsch
04-23-2012, 09:24 AM
ordered and paid via wire transfer the new bomb evf / oled on april 18th.

ironically on the red homepage is written: In Stock. Usually ships within 3-5 business days.

lets see how many weeks it takes to get it delivered.
its a fact, that the 3-5 business days are not true.

amen.

Robert L. Mickles
04-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Got to check this out on the NAB floor and it really looked great!

Michal M.
04-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Amen!

+1 Amen

Carlo Rho
04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Any news about when the upgrade program will start in UK?

Thanks.

Milan Spasic
04-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Good. Sounds like the new EVF is working. That's great!!!

It strikes me funny when people say "NEW" EVF. I thought I had a new EVF. It's 6 months old and I waited a year for it to be delivered (perfected).

I guess it's obsolete. But how can that be? :)

Trevor Meeks
04-23-2012, 12:44 PM
ordered and paid via wire transfer the new bomb evf / oled on april 18th.

ironically on the red homepage is written: In Stock. Usually ships within 3-5 business days.

lets see how many weeks it takes to get it delivered.
its a fact, that the 3-5 business days are not true.

amen.

Norbert....

There have been only two full business days between the 18th and now. Thursday the 19th and Friday the 20th. Saturday and Sunday aren't considered business days... they're the weekend. Today would be the third business day... and it's now 11:45am here in California.

Give 'em a break man.

Andrae Palmer
04-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Sent an email to upgrades@red.com on April 18th... still no response for instructions on mailing in the old Bomb EVF. I hope that by the time they get around to responding to those emails that the OLED EVF's will still be in stock.

Norbert Jalitsch
04-24-2012, 12:38 AM
travor, dont misunderstand. this was not an angry post... :-)

but i received a mail in the meantime from my rep at red u.k.
2-3 weeks is written in that.

so once again: its fact: 3-5 business days are not true...

would be nice, to see the actual (and true) informations on the red site.

Mark Toia
04-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Sent an email to upgrades@red.com on April 18th... still no response for instructions on mailing in the old Bomb EVF. I hope that by the time they get around to responding to those emails that the OLED EVF's will still be in stock.

Same... ?

I did get a response... and supplied the information... but that was that. I think they may have got stormed on! Lets hope this does not turn into another back order nightmare..

Trevor Meeks
04-24-2012, 12:49 AM
I emailed them too... in the mean time, really frustrating to see new units going out while those of us with "old" bombs sit here unsatisfied with the hardware.... hoping for upgrade information.

Rob Anderson
04-24-2012, 02:54 AM
It strikes me funny when people say "NEW" EVF. I thought I had a new EVF. It's 6 months old and I waited a year for it to be delivered (perfected).

I received my LCOS EVF around the end of January. Even less time than you've had with yours. It works as described and is usable. I've also got the original EVF from the R1. That works with my Epic too. A little heavy, but it works. Not obsolete. Just not my preference.

$1200 to upgrade is a good deal for an even better product. I'll take that deal. Had this been any other company, I'd be paying full retail for the next version. Had that happen with LG, Samsung, Nikon, etc.

I'm glad for the trade up path and happy to have a solid EVF that I now love to use. Good for me.

Jarred Land
04-24-2012, 03:29 AM

Can I beg for a little bit of slack.. we just went through the most insane week of our year last week at NAB.. we have lots of catching up to do and a whole team that ran with little to no sleep is still recovering.. give us a bit.

Ketch Rossi
04-24-2012, 03:52 AM
Guys, be patient...

our EPIC M8 has already begin the upgrade process and so did our accessories and EVF for which I got the RMA's and will be shipping out today from Rome.

I had brought M8 with me to Vegas in anticipation of this program, well, and the hope of a Dragon surgery he he, but I have once again to actually come out and give a HUGE THANKS to the RED team, which went out of their way to accommodate me, so while i have returned to Italy M8 is getting the Upgrade, and having now gotten the RMA's for the accessories I'll be shipping them out today... ;)

RED again is making me proud to be a REDUSER and once again giving me more then in off reasons for my loyalty to them, not to mention the fact that all this upgrades I'm getting done to my gear (only exception of the EVF)... ARE FREE!!!

Well, yeah also the fact that after such HUGE NAB, and a Tone of 4K announcements, RED is still well ahed of the curve, delivering 5K with the arrival of 6K while every one else plays catch up with 4k... PRICELESS... ;)

Rob Castiglione
04-24-2012, 04:00 AM
If you want to upgrade your bomb eve what is the process? Thanks

Martin Weiss
04-24-2012, 04:19 AM
I thought I had a new EVF. It's 6 months old and I waited a year for it to be delivered (perfected).

Progress.

It's a good thing.

Mark Deeble
04-24-2012, 04:40 AM
This is an exciting breakthrough indeed and I'm very greatfull to Red for th upgrade facility.

What upgrade facility - have I missed something?

Andrae Palmer
04-24-2012, 06:14 AM
What upgrade facility - have I missed something?

He just meant the option for upgrading the Bomb EVF. Talk to your rep and they'll send you the instructions.

Can I beg for a little bit of slack.. we just went through the most insane week of our year last week at NAB.. we have lots of catching up to do and a whole team that ran with little to no sleep is still recovering.. give us a bit.

Will do Jarred... but your products are so good that it makes us RED addicts. I just don't want to be left out in the cold... especially after having my EVF for less than 5 days when the announcement was made.

Webster Miller
04-24-2012, 08:21 AM

RED had a lot of their people at NAB for sure. I even got to meet my BS rep, James L., which was great. NAB was insane for me, I can only imagine what it was like for the RED crew. The logistics must have been crazy (they even built a theater in the convention center).

However, the new EVF is really cool, I can see why everyone is impatient. So, Jarred and RED team, no sleep - build build build . . . . ;)

Paul Ellington
04-24-2012, 08:34 AM

No doubt ...

Milan Spasic
04-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Progress.

It's a good thing.

I love progress, that's why I'm here. But I've never had to upgrade so much and so quickly. Original Bomb was supposed to be great, we waited a year for it to be delivered. Finally got it few months back only to learn that it wasn't that great. And now it's obsolete.
I was hoping they were working on the fix for the existing EVF, not a completely new one.

I've always stood by Red through all the back orders and delays over the years and never complained but this is just getting a bit much.

Milan Spasic
04-24-2012, 09:13 AM
I received my LCOS EVF around the end of January. Even less time than you've had with yours. It works as described and is usable. I've also got the original EVF from the R1. That works with my Epic too. A little heavy, but it works. Not obsolete. Just not my preference.

$1200 to upgrade is a good deal for an even better product. I'll take that deal.

Sure, it's a great deal that we can upgrade them. The problem is that I have a brand new EVF that is not functioning properly and now I have to pay $1200 to fix that.

Andrae Palmer
04-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Sure, it's a great deal that we can upgrade them. The problem is that I have a brand new EVF that is not functioning properly and now I have to pay $1200 to fix that.

I had my EVF for five days when the new one was announced. Now I'll have to pay an extra $241 plus the shipping for my old EVF... just to receive the new one. I wish I could just pay the difference in price of $700. I would have sent the old one back to get credit on the purchase... but I wasn't sure if RED had restocking fees, etc.

Mark Toia
04-24-2012, 10:34 AM
I just cant wait !!!!!! for mine to turn up... I'm excited like a little girl.

I had a play with these OLED EVFs at NAB.. trust me.! These are must have !!!!!!

Trevor Meeks
04-24-2012, 03:23 PM

In the same boat here, Milan. I got my EVF in December or January, can't remember, and wasn't able to use it for another 2 months until my Scarlet was delivered. Now, I have a $3500 EVF with 20 or 30 hours on it that was never very BOMB in the first place, and I am looking at $1300 in upgrade costs to fix and improve it, effectively making it a $5000 EVF that is what it should have been in the first place.

Like I said, yeah, I'm going to go ahead with the update, but this is probably the biggest disappointment I've had with the whole RED experience, which has been pretty positive so far.

Andy White
04-24-2012, 03:37 PM
In the same boat here, Milan. I got my EVF in December or January, can't remember, and wasn't able to use it for another 2 months until my Scarlet was delivered. Now, I have a $3500 EVF with 20 or 30 hours on it that was never very BOMB in the first place, and I am looking at $1300 in upgrade costs to fix and improve it, effectively making it a $5000 EVF that is what it should have been in the first place.

Like I said, yeah, I'm going to go ahead with the update, but this is probably the biggest disappointment I've had with the whole RED experience, which has been pretty positive so far.

I received mine in late Feb (part of a Stage 4 order). I've literally tested it and used it in 2 small studio tests, at a guess, maybe so no more than an half an hours use (does it have an hours meter? - that would be a good way to see usage :)

Reason I got it was I do need an EVF for some projects later in the year, and with RED ordering/back orders, I figured that it was a better option to buy now rather than later... if I'd have known the OLED was due, I'd have held back.

Problem for is UK'ers is the $1300 will also be subject to 4/5% (tax on top) - plus VAT (20%) and postage (send back old Bomb and receive new OLED) - so that's another expense on top. I can claim back the VAT (in 3 months), but it'll cost a lot more than the $1300 for me...

So, a bit bummed about it to be honest. Wouldn't feel so bad if I had been using the Bomb a lot... but I purchased sooner than I needed to make sure I was ready, so my own fault I suppose.

But, you live and learn :)

... and all other stuff is great - as is RED's policy of updating.

Matt Ryan
04-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Theres a lot of complaints about the Bomb in this thread. Look, I get it, it was an expensive investment, but no one is forcing you to purchase the upgrade. So what, your blacks are milky? Do you really use your viewfinder to make exposure decisions?! Thats what the meters are for... If you've ever shot with a film camera you would know not to judge exposure based on the viewfinder, which holds true for any other digital camera out there. If you are unhappy with the product (for any other issue), see if you can return it. RED is notorious for great customer service and you better believe they do what they can to make you happy. Sure you will lose some money (re-stocking, etc) but not the whole amount. Or sell it here on Reduser, there are people who will use it. All I'm saying is I understand why your frustrated, but step back for a second and take a look at the bigger picture. RED is once again giving you an upgrade path which they didn't have to do. If your still unhappy, most likely you'll never be 100% satisfied with anything. I'm not trying to start any arguments, just pointing out the other side of things. If you don't want to spend any more money, then don't and live with what you have.

Rick Darge
04-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Is there a time limit for when we can send in our EVF for an upgrade?

Jarred Land
04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
The OLED bomb needs to be better than the original EVF... if it wasn't.. we wouldn't of made it. I can't count as many times i have bought something and the next month the new model came out that was better and faster and made my old look useless. Never was I given the option to upgrade my old to get the new.

People can complain all they want.. its not going to change anything. You don't like your old EVF? .. sell it or upgrade it. Blacks not being as black as they are on the new OLED? no shit. That's OLED.. that wasn't available till right now. That's why we did it. We spent alot of development time and money making the new OLED fit into the old body so you guys could upgrade.. it wasn't easy. We needed to set up an entire assembly line and hire people to handle the logistics just to do the upgrade. any other normal company would of just made you buy a whole new one. A few people said the same thing about the R1 when Epic came out.

You guys that have complained.. got it. You made your point. Carry on. Don't punish us for making things better.. specially when we give you a roadmap for upgrading along with us.

Trevor Meeks
04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Theres a lot of complaints about the Bomb in this thread. Look, I get it, it was an expensive investment, but no one is forcing you to purchase the upgrade. So what, your blacks are milky? Do you really use your viewfinder to make exposure decisions?! Thats what the meters are for... If you've ever shot with a film camera you would know not to judge exposure based on the viewfinder, which holds true for any other digital camera out there. If you are unhappy with the product (for any other issue), see if you can return it. RED is notorious for great customer service and you better believe they do what they can to make you happy. Sure you will lose some money (re-stocking, etc) but not the whole amount. Or sell it here on Reduser, there are people who will use it. All I'm saying is I understand why your frustrated, but step back for a second and take a look at the bigger picture. RED is once again giving you an upgrade path which they didn't have to do. If your still unhappy, most likely you'll never be 100% satisfied with anything. I'm not trying to start any arguments, just pointing out the other side of things. If you don't want to spend any more money, then don't and live with what you have.

I knew someone would chime in with the "you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to" argument.

Honestly man, a $3200 EVF should not have the problems that it did out of the box. Milky blacks I can deal with... but they shouldn't have been there. Green/Magenta shift, in a MAJOR way, when changing brightness levels is unacceptable. The flicker is unacceptable. I had my EVF long enough that I basically couldn't return it inside the 90 day warranty period, because I didn't have my camera until it was too late. Sure, go ahead and blame me for that too, but you get my point (or maybe you don't.)

I'm a RED fanboy just as much as you are, Matt. I praise them up and down for all the great shit we get every single day... but that's what makes this situation such a blow to loyal customers. A $1200 upgrade for something that is $700 more brand new. That doesn't make sense... not one bit. I wouldn't be here bitching about it if the upgrade was $700 or even $900. But whatever.

Jarred Land
04-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Trevor... last warning.

Ketch Rossi
04-24-2012, 04:57 PM
I don't like PROFANITY... AT ALL... But in this case...

WELL "F^%@ING" SAID JARRED!!

Its really getting tiresome around here with al this wining nonsense!!

The OLED bomb needs to be better than the original EVF... if it wasn't.. we wouldn't of made it. I can't count as many times i have bought something and the next month the new model came out that was better and faster and made my old look useless. Never was I given the option to upgrade my old to get the new.

People can complain all they want.. its not going to change anything. You don't like your old EVF? .. sell it or upgrade it. Blacks not being as black as they are on the new OLED? no shit. That's OLED.. that wasn't available till right now. That's why we did it. We spent alot of development time and money making the new OLED fit into the old body so you guys could upgrade.. it wasn't easy. We needed to set up an entire assembly line and hire people to handle the logistics just to do the upgrade. any other normal company would of just made you buy a whole new one. A few people said the same thing about the R1 when Epic came out.

You guys that have complained.. got it. You made your point. Carry on. Don't punish us for making things better.. specially when we give you a roadmap for upgrading along with us.

Trevor Meeks
04-24-2012, 04:59 PM

EDITED TO ADD: I was writing this as you "warned" me. Sorry.

I hear you, Jarred, and I know we went over that before. The one hole that I see in that story is that the firmware notes, at least for as long as I have been in the RED 'family', have noted that "EVF Black Levels [are] raised in some cases."

So which is it? A camera firmware issue or an EVF issue? I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I don't like being told one thing over and over, only to have the story change when it's convenient (ie a new upgrade comes out that fixes the original problem.)

Matt Ryan
04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
I knew someone would chime in with the "you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to" argument.

Honestly man, a $3200 EVF should not have the problems that it did out of the box. Milky blacks I can deal with... but they shouldn't have been there. Green/Magenta shift, in a MAJOR way, when changing brightness levels is unacceptable. The flicker is unacceptable. I had my EVF long enough that I basically couldn't return it inside the 90 day warranty period, because I didn't have my camera until it was too late. Sure, go ahead and blame me for that too, but you get my point (or maybe you don't.)

I'm a RED fanboy just as much as you are, Matt. I praise them up and down for all the great shit we get every single day... but that's what makes this situation such a blow to loyal customers. A $1200 upgrade for something that is $700 more brand new. That doesn't make sense... not one bit. I wouldn't be here bitching about it if the upgrade was $700 or even $900. But whatever.

$1,200 vs. $3,900..... no brainer. This Isn't a welfare program.

RED would have gladly refunded you or took your "bad Bomb" for repairs if you explained the situation. This I am sure of....They understand when you got your camera therefore you had no way of testing it until then. I'm sure your a nice guy and I'm not here to rag on you, I'm just saying...

P.S. I don't own a RED simply because I can't afford one. (Damn student loans). If anyone is unhappy with their camera's or accessories and wants to throw them my way I'd be glad to put them to use. (Theres my welfare plea haha)

Trevor Meeks
04-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Jarred, can you please at least explain the upgrade process? I am still waiting to hear back from Alan regarding my upgrade... I'm sure he's slammed, and I understand that.

What exactly am I getting for the $1200? Do you swap my existing unit for a new OLED EVF, or are new parts and housing installed to update the existing EVF?
I assume either way that what I'm getting is equivalent to a brand new OLED EVF, correct?

Rick Darge
04-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Is there a time limit for when we can send in our EVF for an upgrade?

Ruff
04-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Can anyone comment on the ability to see focus with the new OLED viewfinder?

I have the original Bomb EVF, and am wondering if there is any improvement in that regard?

By the way, I think the price is an absolute bargain, and the option to upgrade is awesome. If you have any problems with it... just look at the price of the Sony HDVF-C35!

Bob Gundu
04-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Not sure if the actual peaking is any different, but overall its sooo much better and clearer which may help in focusing.

Can anyone comment on the ability to see focus with the new OLED viewfinder?

I have the original Bomb EVF, and am wondering if there is any improvement in that regard?

By the way, I think the price is an absolute bargain, and the option to upgrade is awesome. If you have any problems with it... just look at the price of the Sony HDVF-C35!

Matt Ryan
04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Welfare program? Give me a break. I spent years of my profits on Red gear.

The original Bomb was advertised as the best thing ever. We all ordered it and waited patiently, with zero complaints, for an entire YEAR.
When the product was delivered few months ago, it was not up to scratch. It was not a "bad Bomb", it was a subpar product.
We were all waiting for a fix. Nobody expected to have to pay for it, as it was a design fault.

And Ketch, we will stop "wining" when you stop with endless self promotion on these forums.

personal insults aren't cool.

Welfare wasn't the best wording but your paying $1,200 instead of the entire $3,900. Take it or leave it. Any other company and you'd pay full price. Sub par Bomb? Every time I've used one it has been just that, a viewfinder that was better to me than the original evf. Some people seem to have isolated issues while others had good units. Now this OLED unit is yet another improvement. I wish RED wasn't so greatful and maybe people wouldn't expect things for nothing....

Milan Spasic
04-24-2012, 06:14 PM
personal insults aren't cool.

Welfare wasn't the best wording but your paying $1,200 instead of the entire $3,900. Take it or leave it. Any other company and you'd pay full price. Sub par Bomb? Every time I've used one it has been just that, a viewfinder that was better to me than the original evf. Some people seem to have isolated issues while others had good units. Now this OLED unit is yet another improvement. I wish RED wasn't so greatful and maybe people wouldn't expect things for nothing....

Matt, that is pretty insulting.
I don't expect "things for nothing", I expect for the product to be as advertised. It wasn't.

Jarred Land
04-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Matt, that is pretty insulting.
I don't expect "things for nothing", I expect for the product to be as advertised. It wasn't.

I am gonna start wipping out the banning stick.. you guys just don't get it. You not only are attacking us.. but now you are attacking each other. Something must be in the water.

Jarred, can you please at least explain the upgrade process? I am still waiting to hear back from Alan regarding my upgrade... I'm sure he's slammed, and I understand that.

What exactly am I getting for the $1200? Do you swap my existing unit for a new OLED EVF, or are new parts and housing installed to update the existing EVF?
I assume either way that what I'm getting is equivalent to a brand new OLED EVF, correct?

Hey Trevor.. we upgrade your internals.. you keep your old optics and shell which remain unchanged. All the insides are new.. which is why the upgrade is $1200 and not $3800 :)

brett ogden
04-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Jarred will the Up-Greaded EVF's Have the oled stamp on the side???

Jarred Land
04-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Jarred will the Up-Greaded EVF's Have the oled stamp on the side???

yup.. laser engraved :)

brett ogden
04-24-2012, 09:19 PM

That's worth $1200 by itself :biggrinjester:

Heh Heh Heh

Bob Gundu
04-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Laser engraved by the new projector!!!!!

BTW, after trying the new EVF, I didn't think for a second that $1200 wasn't worth it.

Michael Millichamp
04-24-2012, 09:21 PM
I still don't understand people complaining...

If you aren't happy with it, just sell it and find something else.

Milan Spasic
04-24-2012, 09:30 PM
I am gonna start wipping out the banning stick.. you guys just don't get it.

Oh I get it Jarred. Red customers who dare complain will get banned. Copy that. I'll shut up now.

J Taylor
04-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Hey Jarred, I wanted to voice a concern to you privately, but your PMs are full. Any other way I can contact you?

Jarred Land
04-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Hey Jarred, I wanted to voice a concern to you privately, but your PMs are full. Any other way I can contact you?

jarred@red.com

Jarred Land
04-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Oh I get it Jarred. Red customers who dare complain will get banned. Copy that. I'll shut up now.

Milan.. you are just being irrational. I have no problem taking rational complaints from our customers ;)

If we didn't release the OLED evf.. would you be here jumping up and down on us? I don't remember you complaining before last week.

Jack Shanahan
04-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Milan.. you are just being irrational. I have no problem taking rational complaints from our customers ;)

If we didn't release the OLED evf.. would you be here jumping up and down on us? I don't remember you complaining before last week.

Jarred just wanted to say Im pumped I can market the shit out of this camera because of the new OLED. Thank you for the upgrade possibility!

Trevor Meier
04-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I'll be a voice to say I'm happy about the new upgrade. More, and getting better all the time. It's a win-win.

brett ogden
04-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Jarred i know that you don't hear this enough so i would like to Say thank you FOR ALL THAT YOU DO and the hospitality you showed me @NAB

Christopher Probst
04-24-2012, 10:53 PM
I honestly never really had issue with the original Bomb EVF. I've never used ANY EVF to judge lighting or exposure from. And for me the original Bomb is on par with any other EVF on the market. I see a lot of Sony EVFs used on Phantoms as well as Sony cameras and I think the Bomb is much nicer. Again, I don't scrutinize blacks and I haven't experienced gross flicker or rainbowing issues. With that said, I have already opted to upgrade mine. My camera works every week, I want to keep it up to date and just getting it serviced and upgraded is a bonus. The investment will pay for itself. If you buy a camera but don't have the ability to rent it out routinely, you probably should rethink buying camera packages for tens of thousands of dollars...

Andrae Palmer
04-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Hey I'm happy about the new OLED EVF's... just slightly annoyed that I ordered my LCOS EVF 5 days too early. I will pay the $700 difference in price plus the $241 extra for the upgrade and move on... make it back up in the next 2 rentals. Can't wait to see what they look like.

Thanks for the $900 upgrade to the 30 day or less Bomb EVF owners. I understand there's only so much you guys can do and still keep a business running. Thank You!

Daniel Murphy
04-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Hey I'm happy about the new OLED EVF's... just slightly annoyed that I ordered my LCOS EVF 5 days too early. I will pay the $700 difference in price plus the $241 extra for the upgrade and move on... make it back up in the next 2 rentals. Can't wait to see what they look like.

Thanks for the $900 upgrade to the 30 day or less Bomb EVF owners. I understand there's only so much you guys can do and still keep a business running. Thank You!

Dre

New BOMB is the BOMB and well worth the wait...Saw it in person at NAB and was amongst first to order. I was nervous to buy Original BOMB EVF due to numerous gripes on REDUSER...trust me this one is Hot!

Jarred Land
04-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the support guys. It really means alot that most of you guys are happy :)

Rob Castiglione
04-25-2012, 12:05 AM
I also happy about the upgrade and looking forward to the new evf. The thing is to be realistic about the fact that new technology is developing all the time. I rejoice that Red is out there searching for it and adopting it. Another company would have done nothing or made us pay again in full for the new technology.

Norbert Jalitsch
04-25-2012, 12:07 AM
i had a bomb evf on order, but i cancelled this order because of a huge amount of negative postings, regarding this (old) bomb evf.
milky blacks, colour shifts, flickering was reported by many users. and i have been searching very long for positive postings - i have not really found them...

but things have changed. i have not seen any bad posting about the new oled bomb. and this is why i ordered it.

now im nervously awaiting the arrival of my new bomb evf oled.

im complaining (but very quiet) because:

red site says: 3-5 business days.

here in europe does that mean: 2-3 weeks :-(

on the other hand, every wait for red equipment was it worth, so it will be the same with this wait :-)

there is not a wide range for viewfinders like this bomb evf.
there are rumors about a bandpro evf.
fired a mail to bandpro and get answered (regarding the price): " The final price is being determined as we speak, but should be around the price of Sonys HDVF-C30WR Viewfinder. "
this is around 8.000,-- EIGHT THOUSAND EUROS !!!

so i think, the red bomb evf (oled) is for shure THE BEST VIEWFINDER you can get FOR THIS MONEY.

and a UPGRADE makes you to an OWNER OF THE BEST VIEFINDER you can get FOR THIS MONEY.

no need to complain.

best, norbert

Paul Ellington
04-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the support guys. It really means alot that most of you guys are happy :)

I ordered a new one right away and it helped with my vision issues right away, and I am happy to report it's amazing the BOMB OLED ROCKS! I am upgrading my old one tomorrow ASAP! Jarred you are the man and deserve more sleep than you get. What people expect from you I find unresonable at times and wish I could help more. Sending an email regarding something unrelated soon.

You Rock, the OLED rocks, RED rocks... I think we might have another hacker from NAB trying to mess with RED customers again.

Jeff Kilgroe
04-25-2012, 12:55 AM
The OLED BOMB looked amazing when I peered into it. Much better blacks. No more sequential-color rainbow funkiness. It will have a broader operating temperature range, especially on the low end -- a huge deal for those of us who shoot in extreme temps, especially cold. Can't wait for the upgrades to start!

Cid J Salcido Uyarra
04-25-2012, 02:00 AM
Quick question I've been looking for the Screen Size Specs, is it the same or Bigger?

I'm glad you guys kept the form factor, it'll fit in my case perfectly and all my accessories will still be compatible. Score

It's always been a good size I think.

Mark Toia
04-25-2012, 02:01 AM
all my old BOMBs are packed and ready for shipping back to RED... I'd give them first class seats on the concord if I could get them their quick enough and new ones sent out.

OLED is fricken awesome!

Tom Gleeson
04-25-2012, 03:44 AM
Norbet,

Yes $10,000 price tag puts the Band pro out of my league but for the extra money you get a 1920x1080 EVF. You could use this EVF and have confidence in your focus accuracy for HD delivery. When I use my Bomb EVF all can look good and then I look at my 1920x1080 17" field monitor and I see focus fall off that I could not perceive with my 1280x720 Bomb. Im upgrading to OLED but in a perfect world it would be 1920x1080.

Peter Lyons Collister, ASC
04-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Does anyone know if I can just drop my original bomb off at the red studio store for upgrade?

Thanks

Peter

Milan Spasic
04-25-2012, 09:44 AM

Jarred, first of all I would like to apologize for being harsh and going on about this. Too little sleep and too much stress does weird things to humans. ;)

No, I've never complained about anything on this forum before including the Bomb EVF. The main reason being is that I was hoping that there would be a firmware/hardware fix for the existing Bomb so I'm a little disappointed that I need to buy a new one. That's all.

I'm firmly in the Red camp regardless, always have been. There's no going back to 1080p baked-in color.

Thanks for the hard work.

Cheers,

Milan

Mike 'Fireman' Ross
04-25-2012, 10:25 AM
The main reason being is that I was hoping that there would be a firmware/hardware fix for the existing Bomb so I'm a little disappointed that I need to buy a new one. That's all.

There IS a hardware fix; that's what the upgrade is!

And, curious mind want to know, is there a... Scottish connection... to either the new or old Bomb EVFs...? :-)

Mike

Jeff Kilgroe
04-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Does anyone know if I can just drop my original bomb off at the red studio store for upgrade?

Thanks

Peter

I think we're all [im]patiently waiting for an upgrade program to start. :)

Christopher Probst
04-25-2012, 11:09 AM
That's what I always do... and did.

Thanks

Peter

Curtis Stanton
04-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks

PeterI was in there yesterday and asked if equipment could be dropped at the store for service. The reply was yes, it will be sent to Irvine from the store without shipping charges.

Jordi Figueras
04-25-2012, 01:11 PM

What about us? The Original EVF users? Isn't there an upgrade path for us? This is really annoying! :P

Ok, ok, don't ban me, please, just kidding about all this nonsense. The truth is that I'm still in love with my Red ONE EVF (which also works with EPIC) so I don't get all these arguing about the "old" Bomb EVF (old, really?) I'm quite sure it's far better than the Real Old EVF (ROlEF from now on!).

I think RED is the most generous company out there, at least in the camera business. So thank you for all the upgrades opportunities you give to us!

Bob Gundu
04-25-2012, 01:34 PM
There may be a few bumps in the road for some.... but guess what guys... its all evens out in the end. You're still way ahead of the game :)

Jeff Kilgroe
04-25-2012, 02:21 PM
I was in there yesterday and asked if equipment could be dropped at the store for service. The reply was yes, it will be sent to Irvine from the store without shipping charges.

Whaa?? They're already taking them in for upgrade?

Bret Lyman
04-25-2012, 02:23 PM
The truth is that the New EVF was certainly ready way before NAB. Ironically it is the only tangible thing ready for mass consumption that was announced at NAB. Am i right?
I do feel a bit slighted that My upgrade is $1200...considering I was only able to use my EVF with my scarlet about two months ago (60 Days). So is anyone interested in my old EVF so I can buy the new one? How much would you offer me? If I could get 3k for it..then my upgrade would be $900. Do you feel me RED dudes?

Michael Markowski
04-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Dre

New BOMB is the BOMB and well worth the wait...Saw it in person at NAB and was amongst first to order. I was nervous to buy Original BOMB EVF due to numerous gripes on REDUSER...trust me this one is Hot!

Thanks Daniel, I ordered mine the other day and now I'm psyched to get it!

Tony Augustinack
04-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Just sent mine in! Thanks Jarred, don't let the few ruin it for all of us. Really appreciate the upgrade path. :)

Curtis Stanton
04-25-2012, 04:49 PM
http://173.199.159.58/forum/images/redfox/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Curtis Stanton http://173.199.159.58/forum/images/redfox/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://173.199.159.58/forum/showthread.php?p=995240#post995240)
I was in there yesterday and asked if equipment could be dropped at the store for service. The reply was yes, it will be sent to Irvine from the store without shipping charges.

Whaa?? They're already taking them in for upgrade?"Equipment" in general, not EVFs in particular.

Tony Lorentzen
04-25-2012, 04:56 PM
The truth is that I'm still in love with my Red ONE EVF (which also works with EPIC) so I don't get all these arguing about the "old" Bomb EVF (old, really?) I'm quite sure it's far better than the Real Old EVF (ROlEF from now on!).

First of all - the new OLED Bomb EVF is nothing but amazing. Haven't color proofed it but it's vibrant, has great contrast and the rainbowing and strobing is gone - just phenomenal. And - the fact that you can upgrade is just nothing but great.

However - there's still a huge "gamma" or "brightness" (for lack of a better word) problem for those people that haven't or aren't upgrading. This is something RED has acknowledged a few times and that should be fixed. The image in the "old" bomb EVFs just isn't on par with the first generation EVFs.

Funny thing is - I still have one of the first EVFs for my RED MX and had it repaired a few months back. I paid out of my nose for the repair (considering I could have bought a used one for just a little more) but the image on it after I got it back is definitely not as good as it was before it died on me. I've heard this from a few other people and I've been meaning to document it by making a before / after comparison. The only explanation I've got is that I'm assuming the panels they're putting into the EVFs are not the same as the first ones. I would appreciate it if someone from RED could confirm or deny this because then I think something might be wrong with the repair or the replaced panel I've had installed in mine.

Curran Giddens
04-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Whaa?? They're already taking them in for upgrade?

I emailed the Upgrade Dept. about it but haven't received an answer yet.

Bob Gundu
04-25-2012, 05:37 PM
You'll get a quote for the upgrade and after you send the funds, you'll get a RMA number.

I emailed the Upgrade Dept. about it but haven't received an answer yet.

Casey Green
04-26-2012, 02:47 AM
I recently got to compare the OLED EVF to the LCOS EVF and I was really happy with the upgrades RED has made.

Honestly, I hoped the upgrade would be slightly less expensive, but I get it if RED needs to cover their bases there.

The blacks are black, the RGB ghosting is gone, the refresh is smooth... just a fantastic job all around. I might like some more work done to the eye piece to make it a little more comfortable and not have the need to press into it as much, but I don't think there is an EVF better on the market.

We will be doing the upgrade eventually. If RED considers lowering the price a bit... great, but we are just so happy that they are offering an upgrade path and continuing to improve the program.

Thanks again, RED.

Hans von Sonntag
04-26-2012, 03:16 AM
However - there's still a huge "gamma" or "brightness" (for lack of a better word) problem for those people that haven't or aren't upgrading. This is something RED has acknowledged a few times and that should be fixed. The image in the "old" bomb EVFs just isn't on par with the first generation EVFs.

Tony,

the old EVF looks better on the RedOne than on the Epic. On the Epic, however, the Bomb EVF (ridiculous name BTW...) and the old EVF have the same washed-out look. I guess that Red is working on the firmware to improve the signal for the EVF which additionally will make the OLED an even better experience.

Hans

Paul Ellington
04-26-2012, 05:48 AM

Thanks

Peter

You should be able to Peter but they will wanna charge your card or at least make sure you have $1200 available.

04-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks Paul... I will go down there today and ask Travis and Kelly....

Sorry I missed the show......

Ketch Rossi
04-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Sorry I missed the show......

Yeah you better be sorry... I also went because you said you would be there... ;)

Now you'll have no choice but come to Italy to make it up to me... ;)

Curran Giddens
04-26-2012, 12:07 PM
You'll get a quote for the upgrade and after you send the funds, you'll get a RMA number.

Thanks. Just shipped mine out today. Can't wait to finally start using it after mostly sitting on the shelf for over a year.

Rick Darge
04-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Am I the only one that finds the current Bomb just fine for what it is?

Peter Strietmann
04-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Yep.

Curran Giddens
04-26-2012, 11:40 PM

It may have been ok for framing if I didn't get the strobing while panning. But maybe there is just something wrong with my eyes...

From what I hear the OLED should fix that issue as well as the black level.

Martin Weiss
04-26-2012, 11:46 PM
You and me, apparently. I find it much better than previous EVFs that I paid much more for. No strobing, no rainbows, fine blacks.

Paul Nordin
04-27-2012, 12:32 AM

Nope, mine has been fine. But seeing the oled version at NAB, after the upgrade it's going to be even finer!

Bob Gundu
04-27-2012, 12:34 AM
The 75% less power consumption is a huge bonus.

Rehan K
04-27-2012, 12:52 PM
OLED? It's probably this EVF that Sony released last year

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol66/pdf/ecx331_332a.pdf

I don't think anyone else makes OlLED EVF

Trevor Meeks
04-27-2012, 01:08 PM
OLED? It's probably this EVF that Sony released last year

I don't think anyone else makes OlLED EVF

You obviously think wrong, because the RED OLED EVF pixel dimensions differ from both of those sony displays :out:

Rehan K
04-27-2012, 01:14 PM
You obviously think wrong, because the RED OLED EVF pixel dimensions differ from both of those sony displays.

Can you post the specs for Red's Oled? Who else makes Oled evf? I don't t think Red makes LCDs and EVFs. Someone (most likely Japenese or Korean manufacturer) made it. If it's not Sony's, the other big player is Samsung. However, if Samsung had such an EVF they would have used it in the new NX20.

Trevor Meeks
04-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Can you post the specs for Red's Oled? Who else makes Oled evf? I don't t think Red makes LCDs and EVFs. Someone (most likely Japenese or Korean) manufacturer made it. If it's not Sony's, the other big player is Samsung. However, if Samsung had such an EVF they would have used it in the new NX20.

Not to be rude, but does it really matter who makes the display?

Dimensions are slightly larger than 1280x720, I can't find the exact numbers, as the previous thread w/ specs was deleted.

Curran Giddens
04-27-2012, 01:20 PM
The original RED EVF was made by Accuscene out of Scotland.
http://www.accuscene.com/viewfinder.html

They produced the best EVF's on the market. Jim bought the company. The new EVFs are made in Germany. And I'm sure they are still using some of the same IP that was acquired from Accuscene.

Can you post the specs for Red's Oled? Who else makes Oled evf? I don't t think Red makes LCDs and EVFs. Someone (most likely Japenese or Korean) manufacturer made it. If it's not Sony's, the other big player is Samsung. However, if Samsung had such an EVF they would have used it in the new NX20.

Rehan K
04-27-2012, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the info.

Jeff Kilgroe
04-27-2012, 05:09 PM
As I understand it, the new OLED EVFs are assembled (or upgraded) here in the USA now.

Curran Giddens
04-27-2012, 06:05 PM
As I understand it, the new OLED EVFs are assembled (or upgraded) here in the USA now.

Right. It was the old Bombs that were made in Germany.

Steven Caesare
04-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Not to be rude, but does it really matter who makes the display?

Dimensions are slightly larger than 1280x720, I can't find the exact numbers, as the previous thread w/ specs was deleted.

Vertical resolution on the new OLED EVFs is 848, I bleieve.

-sc

Trevor Meeks
04-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Vertical resolution on the new OLED EVFs is 848, I bleieve.

-sc

That does sound right, thanks Steven.

Rehan K
04-28-2012, 01:04 AM
Can we get the exact specs for the Red's EVF? When the Sony's EVF was released last year (A77, Nex-7), it was declared as the best EVF ever made (DPRreview, Imaging-Resource). IR devoted a whole section on that EVF in their review

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA65/AA65A3.HTM

That's the still/dslr version of the EVF. As far as I know, the camcorder version of that EVF has not (yet) been used on any camcorder (as of this date).

I was just speculating that Red was the first camcorder to use that Oled EVF in a camcorder.

The technologies involved in developing something like this are very high tech (several billion dollars in semi-conductor manufacturing resources plus R&D). Obviously it's not a trivial task.

Harrison Diamond
04-28-2012, 01:41 AM
it's certainly not that one, Rehan. The panel in that is 1024x768, while the panel in the Red OLED Bomb is 1280x848, matching the vertical resolution of the old Red One EVF.

Rehan K
04-28-2012, 02:49 AM
it's certainly not that one, Rehan. The panel in that is 1024x768, while the panel in the Red OLED Bomb is 1280x848, matching the vertical resolution of the old Red One EVF.

No, the SLR version is 1024x768. The camcorder version is 1280 x 720

yeas, slightly different but very close

Rehan K
04-28-2012, 03:00 AM
The SLR version 1024x768, .. the camcorder version is 1280 x 720

yeas, slightly different.

It's actually 1280 x RGB x 720 == 2.8 million dots ..
And the SLR version 1024 RGB 768 = 2.4 million dots

Brian F Kobylarz
04-28-2012, 08:41 AM
This sidetrack discussion is akin to a cat chasing it's own tail.

Bottom line: It is not any of the panels you speculated it might be.

Back to the thread about the upgraded Bomb EVF.
It is better than others and it works on our cameras.

That's all I need to know.

Eli Jarra
04-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Okay this may seem like a silly question, but now that we know the innards are changed out for this upgrade, can we keep our original parts from the original bomb? I've got a couple of these bombs, and I'd like to piece together something using the old components. Since I paid $3200 for the originals, and now this upgrade, it doesn't seem like a crazy question to ask.
Thanks!

Jarred Land
04-30-2012, 12:55 AM

They produced the best EVF's on the market. Jim bought the company. The new EVFs are made in Germany. And I'm sure they are still using some of the same IP that was acquired from Accuscene.

Not correct... :)

Curran Giddens
04-30-2012, 02:14 AM
Not correct... :)

When I said new EVFs I meant the original Bomb EVF. Not the "new" new Bomb with OLED.

All that matters is that the new Bomb really is Da BOMB!

Jon Paul
04-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Not to belabor this thread, but Sony, Microoled, and Emagin make oled evfs. A couple of clues point to Emagin.

Jon Paul
04-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Make that...Sony, Microoled, and Emagin are the three producers of oled microdisplays for evfs.

04-30-2012, 09:30 PM
BTW I took my Bomb EVF to the Red Store today and talked to the lovely Kelly and she was not able to take my Bomb to send to Irvine. You have to contact the upgrade team..

upgrades@red.com

Norbert Jalitsch
05-01-2012, 01:15 PM
received my fedex shipment notification and will look into my new bomb evf (oled) tomorrow !!! im sooooo exited.
it took longer to get it to vienna than the 3-5 business days which are written down as delivery time on the red site, but it came to shipping faster as i was told by my rep at red u.k. (2-3 weeks) ...

bravo red.

Norbert Jalitsch
05-02-2012, 10:59 AM
received my oled bomb evf. love it. it is the best evf i've looked in so far...

chris andrews
05-02-2012, 06:58 PM
I got mine too, and it is awesome, but I have a questions for the others who have them, or for RED.
Do your buttons actually change the brightness, as with the old Bomb, or not? mine does NOT change brightness, it does not really need it, but sometimes it would be nice to adjust it a bit.
Is this a feature of the OLED, not needing adjustments?

Matt Ryan
05-02-2012, 06:59 PM
I got mine too, and it is awesome, but I have a questions for the others who have them, or for RED.
Do your buttons actually change the brightness, as with the old Bomb, or not? mine does NOT change brightness, it does not really need it, but sometimes it would be nice to adjust it a bit.
Is this a feature of the OLED, not needing adjustments?

it's been said somewhere that they are not currently enabled in the current firmware but will be in the next build...

Patrick Lavaud
05-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Does the New EVF fit in the Epic Pelicase as well as the old one do ?

Norbert Jalitsch
05-03-2012, 05:47 AM
the buttons on my oled bomb evf also are not doing anything, but there was no need to adjust the brightness so far. i believe i have been reading somewhere, that jarred has stated, that button thing will be solved with a future firmware update...

would be nice to have this buttons user assignable. then i would give them the functions edge and magnification...

norbert

Curran Giddens
05-03-2012, 07:17 AM
Does the New EVF fit in the Epic Pelicase as well as the old one do ?

Yes, it is only the inner components that are different.

Also, when you upgrade from an old Bomb, you get back the same outer shell but with "OLED EVF" laser engraved on the side.

Michael Markowski
05-03-2012, 08:37 AM
I got mine yesterday and I thought I was getting my Redmote because I got an email last week that the Redmote was getting ready to be shipped. I get the box and it's much bigger than I thought it would be. I opened the package and was staring at the box that said Red EVF. It took me about 10 seconds of staring at it to realize that it wasn't the Redmote. All of a sudden when I realized what it was I got an immediate happy face and I felt like a child on Christmas. Thanks Red, I love the EVF.

-mike

Simon N
05-03-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm experiencing problems with our camera so I don't know if this is associated. We received our OLED EVF and excitedly put it on our Epic (V3.0.0) The buttons obviously don't work so I can't make any adjustments to try and rectify my EVF issue.

The best way to descibe what I am seeing is that the picture is very sharp - much sharper than the LCD EVF, however if you were to think of grey scale from 0% to 100%, the range from 20% and upwarrds is at 80% & brighter, with the bottom 20% crushed blacks, i.e I am seeing way too much detail in the shadows which are nearly as bright as the highlights, but the bottom end of the shadows are crushed black. We are shooting a vampire show, so there is a lot of warm light, however the Epic's LCD monitor is great for viewing but not operating. Is this a dodgy OLED or to do with the firmware build? We have tried it on 2 cameras with the same results, but both cameras also exhibit other common issues so I don't know if this is related, though I think not.

Any ideas?

Paul Ellington
05-05-2012, 10:16 PM
BTW I took my Bomb EVF to the Red Store today and talked to the lovely Kelly and she was not able to take my Bomb to send to Irvine. You have to contact the upgrade team..

upgrades@red.com

So worth it Mr. Collister.

Hope you are well.

- PE

Jack Shanahan
05-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Will we be able to go to 1:1 on the OLED?

Trevor Meeks
05-05-2012, 11:38 PM
I sure hope playback will get enabled with the EVF asap... sure is annoying having to switch over to the LCD to play back one or two clips.

Norbert Jalitsch
05-07-2012, 08:31 AM
other question: where do i get a leather eyepiece cushion for the oled bomb ???
does anyone know a store where i can buy it in europe ?

filmtools.com has this things for sale, approx. 5 us$ for the eypiece cushion and 164 us$ for shipping via ups, holy shit...

norbert

Bob Gundu
05-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Those are made here in Canada but they have dealers worldwide.

Send them an email.
http://www.bluestarproducts.ca/dealer-locations.php

other question: where do i get a leather eyepiece cushion for the oled bomb ???
does anyone know a store where i can buy it in europe ?

filmtools.com has this things for sale, approx. 5 us$ for the eypiece cushion and 164 us$ for shipping via ups, holy shit...

norbert

Jeff Kilgroe
05-08-2012, 08:15 AM
approx. 5 us$ for the eypiece cushion and 164 us$ for shipping via ups, holy shit...

Hehe... You wouldn't think it, but shipping from the USA to Canada is painfully expensive for no real reason. But yeah, even the $164 price tag seems out of line. a USPS International Priority box, takes about a week and a day or two, is $13. You could stuff at least a dozen of those eyepiece cushions in one of those small boxes.

Bob Gundu
05-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Shipping to Canada from B&H is cheaper than shipping anything within Canada. I don't know how they do it, but its very reasonable.

Stacey Spears
05-08-2012, 09:48 AM
My upgraded EVF arrived yesterday. I have not had time to look at it yet since my M is off getting upgraded.

Norbert Jalitsch
05-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Hehe... You wouldn't think it, but shipping from the USA to Canada is painfully expensive for no real reason. But yeah, even the $164 price tag seems out of line. a USPS International Priority box, takes about a week and a day or two, is $13. You could stuff at least a dozen of those eyepiece cushions in one of those small boxes.

jeff, unfortunately there is no selectable option for shipping to europe... only dhl for 164,-- usd...
i would really like to buy some things from the filmtools shop, but not without a cheaper way of shipping.

norbert

Matt Ryan
05-08-2012, 01:03 PM
jeff, unfortunately there is no selectable option for shipping to europe... only dhl for 164,-- usd...
i would really like to buy some things from the filmtools shop, but not without a cheaper way of shipping.

norbert

Norbert,
I have to go to Filmtools to pick some stuff up. I can grab you the eyepiece cushions and send them via USPS if you want.

Christopher Barrett
05-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Upgrade came back today. Friggin awesome. No more strobey-image-tearing effect. Beautiful blacks AND great shadow detail.

Bob Gundu
05-08-2012, 01:16 PM
I agree. I knew I had to upgrade as soon as I saw them at NAB.

Upgrade came back today. Friggin awesome. No more strobey-image-tearing effect. Beautiful blacks AND great shadow detail.

Norbert Jalitsch
05-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Norbert,
I have to go to Filmtools to pick some stuff up. I can grab you the eyepiece cushions and send them via USPS if you want.

wow. you really would do that ? thats very, very cool !
how do you prefer to get the money for the eypiece cushions ? please email me (norbert.jalitsch@gmx.at) regarding that !
i would like to get 2 pieces of the 2010 extra small's (as the spec. sheet says the fit the bomb evf) in leather and 2 pieces in... red/fleece :-)

all the best, norbert

Matt Ryan
05-08-2012, 05:32 PM
wow. you really would do that ? thats very, very cool !
how do you prefer to get the money for the eypiece cushions ? please email me (norbert.jalitsch@gmx.at) regarding that !
i would like to get 2 pieces of the 2010 extra small's (as the spec. sheet says the fit the bomb evf) in leather and 2 pieces in... red/fleece :-)

all the best, norbert

yes sir.
email sent

Jeff Kilgroe
05-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Matt is the man!

Anyway, Norbert.. I was just curious if they would help you out on the shipping if you called them. Sometimes the web site is not very forgiving. I tend to call them anyway when I order stuff because I can often get better pricing on filters and things if I talk to someone.

Anyway, in an attempt to keep this thread on track... My BOMB EVF is at RED right now getting the OLED upgrade. :)

Curran Giddens
05-08-2012, 08:52 PM
My upgraded EVF arrived yesterday. I have not had time to look at it yet since my M is off getting upgraded.

Still no word on my EVF yet. It has already been there for 5 or 6 days... :(

hopefully I get the shipping notice tomorrow.

Paul Nordin
05-09-2012, 02:01 AM
Mine was there about 5 business days, and arrived back this Monday.

Chosei Funahara
05-09-2012, 09:29 AM
it has upgraded to OLED and came back a few days ago, is the best EVF that I have ever tried.
I do prefer the optical viewfinder, but I can't complain, this is the best so far.

Curran Giddens
05-10-2012, 06:49 AM
hopefully I get the shipping notice tomorrow.

Turns out the shipment notification was sent to my other email address, not my primary.

On its way!

:-)

Thomas Koba
06-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Has anyone lately recieved their EVF upgrade? Mine's been in for 3-4 weeks.

Bob Gundu
06-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Finally got my Fedex notice. Should be here Monday.

Stivan Widick
06-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Mine's been there for 4 weeks today.

Jeff Kilgroe
06-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Mine's been there for 4 weeks today.

You should be getting close... Mine has been there for nearly 5 weeks and they shipped it back to me today. :)

Will Keir
06-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Had that happen to me with Stage 3.

Turns out the shipment notification was sent to my other email address, not my primary.

On its way!

:-)

Jiri Bakala
06-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Not sure if it had been discussed before - is there a way of using the VF with other cameras/equipment?

Bob Gundu
06-08-2012, 04:07 PM
I don't believe you can.

Not sure if it had been discussed before - is there a way of using the VF with other cameras/equipment?

Stuart English
06-08-2012, 05:12 PM

No.

Mark Toia
06-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Sharing is caring...

http://www.zoomfilmtv.com.au/ftp/JUNK/OLED_Settings.jpg

Thomas Koba
06-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Just got my EVF back from upgrade (took 2 months!). Looks 100 times better than the old one. Finally I can pack my LCD back in my bag. I hate shooting with monitors, I can't understand how people can frame anyting at all when looking at monitors. When I put my eye to that viewfinder, it feels like looking into a dark cinema. Gets me in the mood for shooting!

Mark Toia
06-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Just got my EVF back from upgrade (took 2 months!). Looks 100 times better than the old one. Finally I can pack my LCD back in my bag. I hate shooting with monitors, I can't understand how people can frame anyting at all when looking at monitors. When I put my eye to that viewfinder, it feels like looking into a dark cinema. Gets me in the mood for shooting!

Same here.

AndreasOberg
10-13-2012, 05:30 PM
I sure hope playback will get enabled with the EVF asap... sure is annoying having to switch over to the LCD to play back one or two clips.

Has this been addressed now?
/Andreas