PDA

View Full Version : Red & autodesk

Isaac Ruiz
02-04-2008, 12:11 PM
What will be the best workflow to edit in an autodesk smoke system? Any1 knows if there is a future red codec for this system?

Greg M
02-04-2008, 01:32 PM
currently export dpx files and bring right into Smoke.

laguun
02-04-2008, 02:14 PM
currently export dpx files and bring right into Smoke.

At this moment, red wants to prevent
adobe, avid, autodesk/discreet, quantel, iridas, dvs etc.
from supporting their fileformat.

The reasons for this are, according to their comments, that
a) they still have exclusive deals with apple for their 2K editing system FCP and b) are still beta in their fileformat.

In April they will, finally, open their fileformat.

However, if you work with red, it is necessary to transcode the redcode files to another format at one stage of the pipeline, as you wont deliver redcode to TV stations, blueray/hd-dvd, 35mm filmrecorders/cinemas, DCI encoders/cinemas, the web, dvd etc.

Top-Quality decoding of raw files take plenty of time, therefore its non realtime in 4K resolution and full quality. So decoding to dpx/cineon for smoke (or another fileformat as cineform if you are on windows or osx) at the beginning of the production is the way to go if you want fullquality, non-proxy, realtime performance with full resolution and colordepth.

to do so, you can use redcine and redalert, however both still lack EDL support, therefore be prepared to waste storage if you decide to debayer all the footage.

also, if you use smoke(or fire) and flame(or inferno) be aware that you will need another pc, running windows and/or osx to decode - there are no linux or irix basing decoders as of yet.

Dylan Reeve
02-04-2008, 06:08 PM
RED has announced that Linux tools will be available. Whether they will include decoding/transcoding tools is unclear... But there will be some.

Greg M
02-04-2008, 06:35 PM
I have been finishing on Smoke since the camera arrived.

laguun
02-04-2008, 10:57 PM
RED has announced that Linux tools will be available. Whether they will include decoding/transcoding tools is unclear... But there will be some.

Yeah.

Anyhow, in April 2008, once they finally allow 3hrd parties to use the cameras fileformat and disclose the (already opened) inner workings, there will be many nifty tools.

laguun
02-04-2008, 11:01 PM
I have been finishing on Smoke since the camera arrived.

Having a discreet logic-background since the mid 90ties, i might be a little bit biased, but i have to say that an nle/conforming system like smoke is in a different league than fcp and ppro.

i am afraid most editors don´t know what they are missing, however, i have to admit that we also use ppro and fcp a lot besides the big irons these days.

Antoine Baumann
02-05-2008, 08:24 AM

When, where?

Do you mean REDCINE for Linux? That would be fantastic.

antoine

Gavin Greenwalt
02-05-2008, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't expect Autodesk to support REDCode natively for a good long time.

They don't exactly have a good track record of adopting new file formats. ;)

Dylan Reeve
02-06-2008, 12:38 AM
When, where?

Do you mean REDCINE for Linux? That would be fantastic.

antoine

I'm not exactly holding my breath for a REDCINE GUI on Linux, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a command-line conversion tool that could take a LUT output from REDCINE (on Win or Mac) and do the grunt work (enabling the creation of render farms).

But I've not seen any firm clarification of what will be offered, or when.

Seán_T
02-06-2008, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't expect Autodesk to support REDCode natively for a good long time.

They doesn't exactly have a good track record of adopting new file formats. ;)

Well there might be the ability to import the files and convert in to uncompressed autodesk media on the framestore, or soft import them from a SAN but thats about as close we will ever see native support I imagine.
I believe the architecture of the code on the systems products is not friendly to compression, even quicktime support is still quite limited.

kuban
02-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Well there might be the ability to import the files and convert in to uncompressed autodesk media on the framestore, or soft import them from a SAN but thats about as close we will ever see native support I imagine.
I believe the architecture of the code on the systems products is not friendly to compression, even quicktime support is still quite limited.
Yes, Autodesk systems currently only support uncompressed RGB format, in 8/10/12/16 bits. Whatever you import, it will get converted to uncompressed RGB data. But if you do a softimport (only for a few image file formats), you can read/decode directly from file on a DAS/NAS/SAN filesystem. But no movie file format is supported in this mode yet. It would be nice to have quicktime videos on me flame desktop via softimport :)