PDA

View Full Version : Case for Red One??

thomas273
02-06-2008, 08:00 PM
is there a case for the Red One?

Shouldn't the Red have come with a case? what's another $400-$500 to protect your $30k investment? I really don't want to have to get a pelican with those stupid break-away foam squares. It's got to be laser cut for sure.

I mean there's a red cart in the store but not a case for the Red and lenses, accessories??

or,
does anyone know where to get laser cut foam for cases cheap?

cheers....
:alien:

Justin Kirchhoff
02-06-2008, 08:07 PM
it's my understanding, please correct me if i'm wrong, that pelican cases can be laser cut. you just need the dimensions of what you want to put in the case.

I believe digitalfx had the measurements awhile back, but i could be wrong.

Adrian Correia
02-06-2008, 08:19 PM
digitalfx's cases were custom A&Js - and pretty sweet too - there are schematics for those...not sure where though.

Mitch Gross
02-06-2008, 08:23 PM
I'll put the offer out there again.

A few people have talked to us about designing cases. Jay made a very strong argument for Storm cases, which are my preference over Pelican as well if you don't want to go with an ATA-style case like A&J. That being said, we're excited by the idea of designing a nice case or cases for the RED One, but we need to know how people want them outfitted. There's a lot of different ways to rig outa RED, and we're not going to design 50 different cases. If there is a way to design a good basic kit case with some room for a few options in how you rig it we're happy to oblige. But I need a bit of concensus on what people want (I have my own ideas, but you're the ones buying 'em) and then someone has to come into the office so I can take the measurements. I'm happy to design the thing myself, and once we have something settled we can get a fairly decent turnaround on a run of case foams. We do this for lots of cameras. I just finished one for the Sony EX1 and it's pretty sweet if I say so myself. RED is a much different beast, but the basic ideas still apply.

Mitch Gross
Abel Cine Tech

Dane Brehm
02-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I think having a RED case is advertising to any person that there's a RED in this case opening any red owner to theft......there's no RED lo-jack yet?

I know DP's who had a Zoom lenses taken from the Airport baggage, and yes I know thats what insurances for but having something stolen sucks no matter what especially prior to the shoot...:shifty:

Brent Carter
02-06-2008, 08:41 PM
We can do a laser-cut, RED branded Pelican 1620. By branded, I mean we actually brand it - not just a RED sticker on it.

BC

Justin Kirchhoff
02-06-2008, 08:47 PM
We can do a laser-cut, RED branded Pelican 1620. By branded, I mean we actually brand it - not just a RED sticker on it.

BC

Put me on the list Brent. I'd like to have it shipped in it! I was goign to buy two of those cases, glad I held off.

Paul Kalbach
02-06-2008, 10:13 PM

BC

Add me to the list too. Can this be made into a store item?

Gabriel Beaudry
02-06-2008, 10:20 PM
It would be nice if we could just order the laser cut foam inserts only. That way I can buy a Pelican case here and just pay duties on the inserts.

Just a thought for us outside the US.

Paris Remillard
02-06-2008, 10:31 PM
I'd also be very interested in just the foam inserts.

Charles Perkins
02-07-2008, 12:38 AM

BC
cool, i was looking to have a case shipped to you for my order to be shipped to e in, but this makes life easier!

how much are the cases?

Mark Pedersen
02-07-2008, 12:59 AM
I'd also be very interested in just the foam inserts.

Me too. Do you have pix of the laser cut foam? Is it just for the camera body, or are there cutouts for other accessories?

M

Gian Joon
02-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Hi Brent if you can do *standard set up* laser cut foam, that will be really cool. Count me in if you are doing it.

Cheers

Joon

Joe D'Arcy
02-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Hi Brent,

Count me in for the laser cut case insert as well.

Stephen Webb
02-07-2008, 01:50 AM
I'd like something that I can fit my entire basic kit in, Camera, Lens, Drives, Batteries, Basic Production Pack, LCD,EVF, nuts and bolts and cables...

RedDog444
02-07-2008, 01:51 AM
A buddy of mine is having a case made right now. He is having it made to accommodate the RED almost fully assembled (rails and all) so you can practically pull it out and shoot. Should be ready next week. He is going to post photos and contact info here.

Dave

Mark Phelan
02-07-2008, 03:49 AM
Count me in on a laser cut case too. Would love to see what the arrangement looks like and what all it would hold.

Karl H
02-07-2008, 04:41 AM
Nice! How much are the cut pelican cases?

Frank Weeks
02-07-2008, 04:55 AM
He is having it made to accommodate the RED almost fully assembled (rails and all) so you can practically pull it out and shoot.

This sounds very interesting. I look forward to seeing it.

Thanks
Frank

Petros Nousias
02-07-2008, 05:19 AM
Last time I asked about the cases before finalising my order I was told that they were no longer available. If thats not the case anymore, do I have time to get one? My camera should be shipping sometime next week.

Jeremiah McLamb
02-07-2008, 05:42 AM
sign me up to!

Erik Rangel
02-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I've made cases like this before, for the company I work at...I have access to two laser engravers...so..

Once I get my camera, I'm going to laser cut then hand sculpt/dremel the foam so that it hugs my camera and accessories. Attach some velcro straps for extra security and viola. Custom built pelican 1650. I might build two sets of foam to swap out. One for having the camera assembled and one with all the parts separate.

If anyone else is interested...I'm thinking around 600 bucks..add another 100 for the other set of foam...what do you guys think?

Brent Carter
02-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Ok, I need something a little more formal that a "sign me up" on the boards :) Everyone who is interested in getting a RED-branded, laser-cut case should PM Travis (that's his user name on REDUSER). He is one of the BOMB SQUAD guys who can place an order for it. It is $600 USD.

The reason is that it was not available for awhile is we completely re-designed the laser-cuts to make them much more user-friendly. We expect very limited quantities to be ready to ship from RED in the next few weeks.

I will try to get some drawings of the laser-cut so you guys can see what you are getting into....

BC

PS, stay tuned for a QT of Jarred and I actually branding a case.

Travis
02-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Following up here, make sure that when you send me your request, that you include either the name on the account or your customer number (such as CU 010....). Look forward to hearing from you.

Steve Freebairn
02-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Um, not to put up a stink about pricing, but isn't this the case

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/179087-REG/Pelican_PC1620_1620_Foam_Case_Black_.html

Why would the foam insert and branding add $400? Is there anyway just to buy the foam insert that you guys cut? I know you have to fill the torch with fuel, but 3x the normal seems high.

Gian Joon
02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
It would be great if we can just buy the the foam insert (Laser Cut). If we buy a pelican case and get it couriered out of states, cost is going to be enormous. Just my guess.

R Fogg
02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I second the option to just buy the laser cut foam. Any chance of this?

Brent Carter
02-07-2008, 12:54 PM
It would be great if we can just buy the the foam insert (Laser Cut). If we buy a pelican case and get it couriered out of states, cost is going to be enormous. Just my guess.

We'll look into it.

BC

Charles Perkins
02-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Following up here, make sure that when you send me your request, that you include either the name on the account or your customer number (such as CU 010....). Look forward to hearing from you.

DONE!
Thanks.

Karl H
02-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Can I ask what is cut out of the foam? Just the camera, or are their cutouts for the production pack EVF/LCD in there too?

Antoine Fabi
02-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Mitch,

If you can make an affordable case that could fit a Base production pack RED (mounted with EVF and LCD), i would be very interested.

It would be very helpfull to take the camera off the case and shoot.

...but it also depends on "when" the case is available.

A. Bastaki
02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
I'd like something that I can fit my entire basic kit in, Camera, Lens, Drives, Batteries, Basic Production Pack, LCD,EVF, nuts and bolts and cables...

same here
________
Buy Iolite Vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/iolite-vaporizer.html)

BASSAM MSSALATIE
02-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Ok, I need something a little more formal that a "sign me up" on the boards :) Everyone who is interested in getting a RED-branded, laser-cut case should PM Travis .
done but i am waiting for drawings and detailes. thanks Brent
:usd:

Mitch Gross
02-07-2008, 01:58 PM
I think someone might be bringing in a RED in the next few weeks so we'll lokk into a case concept. If RED offers its own case that satisfies most people's needs then just go with that. This is hardly something that we'd make a lot of money on so we're happy to leave the business to them. but if it is not working for enough of you we'd be willing to step up to the plate.

Mitch Gross
Abel Cine Tech

Brent Carter
02-07-2008, 02:08 PM
We will get images or drawings for you guys....

BC

Corrado Silveri
02-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Wow!

I want one too... (Maybe two).

The case will show up on the red.com webstore?

Or it's necessary A PM to Travis?

Jarred Land
02-07-2008, 03:18 PM
heh heh heh....

http://www.reduser.net/forum/uploaded/1_cm capture 29.jpg (http://www.reduser.net/brand.mov.zip)

Adrian T.
02-07-2008, 03:24 PM
heh heh heh....

http://www.reduser.net/forum/uploaded/1_cm capture 29.jpg (http://www.reduser.net/brand.mov)

:)
And whose skull is that on the table? A spy? :wink:

Brent Carter
02-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Ex-spy

Mark Phelan
02-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Love the Johnny Cash music, Jarred you have good taste.

So does the case jump up and run off after you've finished branding it?

Dare I ask, does the case HAVE to be black? Reason I ask is I'm of the "louder/brighter is better" camp. It's easier to spot a light colored case stuck in the belly of a plane, it's cooler on the electronics, easier to spot some guy running away with the equipment, etc. Just my .02. If beggers can't be choosers, then I'll shut up.

BASSAM MSSALATIE
02-07-2008, 03:44 PM
This is nice video that show's how much you are experts . you remind me
with 2 cartoonic characters Zingo & Ringo :) :)

Warren Kommers
02-07-2008, 03:51 PM
In flip flops! Don't let the branding union see this.

Oh and I want a case. Emailed travis. I thought they were 500?

Brent Carter
02-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Don't worry - no RED ONEs were harmed in the filming of this demo.

Just give Jarred and I an excuse to fire up the blowtorch, and we are THERE.

BC

Nathan Buxton
02-07-2008, 04:57 PM
I hope the guy holding the branding stake was holding his breathe or he probably got quite a mean head rush...

Dan McCain
02-07-2008, 05:58 PM
I am interested in two cases. One for everyday shoots and one for travel. Has anyone had luck with a prota-brace or similar case to carry the red on board an aricraft? I like to carry as much of the valuable/critical stuff on board as possible.

Mitch Deoudes
02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
digitalfx's case thread is here: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6064

Not all of the drawings are up, unfortunately. (Brent - I'll second/third/whatever the interest in getting foam outlines for the various bits & pieces.)

Ideally, I'd like to build an airline carry-on case that takes the body (with top mount, bottom plate, and possibly sides attached), the EVF, and maybe one or more of the zooms. (Though not sure if this last is feasible.) i.e. - everything that I'd be worried about breaking if some gorilla got his hands on it out behind the baggage carousel. Anyone tried this yet?

Brent Carter
02-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Some people choose a 1500 series Pelican for carry-on and do camera body, EVF, and lens/lenses. Then they choose a 1600 series for check-on with power sources and other accessories. Exactly what you mean, Meetotch...

BC

Steve Sherrick
02-07-2008, 10:07 PM
I think someone might be bringing in a RED in the next few weeks so we'll lokk into a case concept. If RED offers its own case that satisfies most people's needs then just go with that. This is hardly something that we'd make a lot of money on so we're happy to leave the business to them. but if it is not working for enough of you we'd be willing to step up to the plate.

Mitch Gross
Abel Cine Tech

Mitch, maybe we can do this next week while we're in there.

Steve

Thom Steinhoff
02-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Alright, Jarred, fire up the torch!

My transfer went out today and I'm totally stoked! Hopefully your laser template has a nice cozy home for my EVF when she finally arrives as well as the LCD.

Thanks to you and Brent for allowing me to add this to my order--somehow it just wouldn't be complete without it.

Best Regards,

Thom

Hrvoje Simic
02-08-2008, 03:36 AM
LOL
Hey watch out! :usd:

Mitch Gross
02-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Mitch, maybe we can do this next week while we're in there.

Steve

I'm on vacation from the 12th - 20th. Maybe afterwards.

Mitch

Travis
02-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Pictures of what the case can hold will come monday, I will post soon.

Jan Prochazka
02-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Just an idea...

Make an universal foam insert is a bit tough task, because everyone has a different setup. Even choose the right universal case is a problem.

So let's consider a modular system. Choose the module size, i.e. 4". Make a foam dock for every camera/lens/accessory/group-of-small-accessories. For example, camera dock will be 2x4 module (8"x16"). Typical lens could be 2x2. And so on...

In this case everyone could buy case he need and put configuration he need into it.

What do you think?

Mitch Deoudes
02-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Some people choose a 1500 series Pelican for carry-on and do camera body, EVF, and lens/lenses.

Thanks for the tip. I actually worked on a job recently where they had the red + EVF in a 1510. I remember feeling like there wouldn't be room for lenses in there as well, but my memory is a little hazy. Inside dimensions are 20.2"L x 11.4"W x 7.5"D (1.75" Lid over 5.75" Base), according to the site. Looks like this is the allowed max on most domestic airlines (int'l is apparently even less).

Anyone know what the equivalent sized Storm case is?

mitch

R Fogg
02-08-2008, 01:02 PM
The storm 2400 at (19.2 x 15.2 x 7.3 in.) or the 2500 (21.7 x 14.1 x 8.9 in.) should be cary-onable

HDPioneers.com
02-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I use Pelican 1510's to carry on my HVX's all the time (with dividers). But I'm not sure a Red body would fit in there with batteries, media, a lens or two, etc. I'm still hunting for a carry on solution that will let you pack in all critical gear... may not exist I suppose

Warren Kommers
02-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Can I second the notion to just sell the laser cut interiors and let us pick out the Pelican shell color. My fleet rolls in the OD green. Looking forward to pics.

Gian Joon
02-08-2008, 08:47 PM
I strongly feel that laser cut interiors will be hot sellers at RED.

Greg M
02-08-2008, 08:50 PM
digitalfx's case thread is here: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6064

Not all of the drawings are up, unfortunately. (Brent - I'll second/third/whatever the interest in getting foam outlines for the various bits & pieces.)

Ideally, I'd like to build an airline carry-on case that takes the body (with top mount, bottom plate, and possibly sides attached), the EVF, and maybe one or more of the zooms. (Though not sure if this last is feasible.) i.e. - everything that I'd be worried about breaking if some gorilla got his hands on it out behind the baggage carousel. Anyone tried this yet?

What's missing?

Mitch Deoudes
02-09-2008, 11:22 AM
What's missing?

The camera body and accessories sections in the first post still say "coming soon". Or are those drawings buried in the thread somewhere?

Greg M
02-09-2008, 04:06 PM
look at the end of the thread, I added PDF files awhile back.

I'll edit the first post

Warren Kommers
02-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Did any one see the pictures that Travis said he would post of the 1620 cases?

LBRED49er
02-11-2008, 08:04 PM
This is TRAVIS (this is my off-duty SN). I have the pictures coming, need to take a few more tomorrow and they will be up. Sorry for the delay, lots of cameras going out today!

Travis
02-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Ok Folks, you wanted it, here it is. Big thanks goes out to Big Jon for the pictures.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/uploaded/6332_1202868521.jpg

http://www.reduser.net/forum/uploaded/6332_1202868547.jpg

http://www.reduser.net/forum/uploaded/6332_1202868571.jpg

Colin C
02-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks Travis, thats much appreciated.

Raul Gonzo
02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Travis, I PM'ed you about a week ago- is that all I need to do? (be patient?)

Gian Joon
02-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Travis, are these shipping in real time or there is going to be a wait.

LBRED49er
02-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Travis, I PM'ed you about a week ago- is that all I need to do? (be patient?)
Sure is, I have a master list with all your requests and they will be taken care of by the Bomb Squad as soon as they are ready.

Joon...pending you have a camera already, they will ship as soon as they are available.

Within the coming weeks you should here more of a definitive answer.

Gian Joon
02-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Travis, last week Brent said that he will look into making laser cut interior foam available (as a standalone product instead of case+foam). Any word on that.

Travis
02-13-2008, 08:12 AM
Travis, last week Brent said that he will look into making laser cut interior foam available (as a standalone product instead of case+foam). Any word on that.
No word yet, I will get the word from Brent and get back to you.

Brent Carter
02-13-2008, 09:29 AM

Sorry, the foam comes in a case as a package. We won't be offering just the foam.

Thanks, BC

Gian Joon
02-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks Brent.

Mitch Deoudes
02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
look at the end of the thread, I added PDF files awhile back.
I'll edit the first post

Got 'em - thanks. Sorry for the confusion (and thanks for the drawings!)

hdjoe
02-16-2008, 05:34 PM
when L.A.R.T. ask if they could us DAVE'S GARAGE to do a two and a half day of test shots and not have to spend a dime to do so,with THE FOUNDER OF PELICAN PRODUCTS at witch him welcomed them with open arms,the L.A.R.T. crew did'nt think that his product was so STUPID!and if im correct there is a lazer-cut case they make,maybe you should talk with KenCorbin,about Dave Parker hes a good man and im sure he would'nt think kindly of the red one people calling his products stupid.

C.H.Haskell
02-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Is this RED branded case airplane overhead friendly...?

Jonathan Cruz
02-17-2008, 03:37 AM
looks very nice Travis, i would be interested in one for when i order my red

Paul Leeming
02-17-2008, 09:41 AM
We took delivery last week and decided on the Storm iM2975 case. This thing rocks! We took some time to figure out the best packing layout, plucked and cut away the relevant bits and voila!

I much prefer the Storm latches to Pelican's, plus the whole case is lighter but still just as strong (if not stronger). Highly recommended!

http://www.visceralpsyche.com/misc/web_images/Red_378_Storm_Case_IMG_4005a.jpg

http://www.visceralpsyche.com/misc/web_images/Red_378_Storm_Case_IMG_4018a.jpg

http://www.visceralpsyche.com/misc/web_images/Red_378_Storm_Case_IMG_4026a.jpg

http://www.visceralpsyche.com/misc/web_images/Red_378_Storm_Case_IMG_4028a.jpg

Paul Leeming
02-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Part 2:

http://www.visceralpsyche.com/misc/web_images/Red_378_Storm_Case_IMG_4031a.jpg

http://www.visceralpsyche.com/misc/web_images/Red_378_Storm_Case_IMG_4046a.jpg

http://www.visceralpsyche.com/misc/web_images/Red_378_Storm_Case_IMG_4051a.jpg

HTH

Paul

Ivan G
02-17-2008, 10:38 AM
I think I have found the case I'm looking for! Thanks for sharing Paul!

Mick van Rossum, NSC
02-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Sorry for hijacking; I do like storm better than pelican, however as my AC tells me the soft/pluck foam used in Paul's Storm case will eventually cause unwanted foam particles to get into lenses and other gear, so hard foam seems favorable. Anyone out there with experiences with the two different foamtypes ?

LBRED49er
02-17-2008, 11:43 AM
I used to work with storm cases, the foam does shag a bit. I have no idea how the inserts are cut on this one, but the Pelican's we use have reinforced inserts which is a nice touch and will definitely help things last longer.

Gian Joon
02-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Paul,

That is so neat. Just one question. Did you use drawings given by digitalfx for lasercutting?

Cheers

Joon

BASSAM MSSALATIE
02-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Paul
look's awsome ..:devil: from where did you have the foam ? did you cut it bu yourself ? selly question ?:excl:

Ivan G
02-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Sorry for hijacking; I do like storm better than pelican, however as my AC tells me the soft/pluck foam used in Paul's Storm case will eventually cause unwanted foam particles to get into lenses and other gear, so hard foam seems favorable. Anyone out there with experiences with the two different foamtypes ?

Ok back to Pelican.... I take it Pelican cases cannot be modified by the user, right? Does it have to be laser cut before it ships?

SF Geek
02-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I can't find myself going for pluck-n-pull foam for something of this price and weight. I am also looking to pack my camera like a film camera, that is: Camera with viewfinder attached(via eltech's mount) and top handle in the main compartment, lcd in a little cut in the main compartment, and bridge plate and red arm plus cables in the side compartment. Anyone have or is making something like this?

Steve Sherrick
02-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Pluck/pull does shed, not only that but I have found that eventually with enough wear and tear it comes apart. I think laser cut, hard foam is the way to go. Design it to your needs (which involves measuring everything as it will be configured going into the case), and then have one of the professional case makers do the work. It's a necessity to have a good case for the camera and accessories. It will cost you a decent chunk of change up front, but in the long run you are giving your gear the protection it needs so you don't have to spend money on repairing it due to bad cases.

Steve

Paul Leeming
02-18-2008, 01:41 AM
To answer everyone's questions:

We didn't use an existing template as I figured each person might have different requirements and parts etc so it might well end up redundant.

The foam comes with the case as standard.

I took some time to lay out two layers, the main (deep) one and the top (shallow) one, thinking about weight distribution and padding size required for the various components. Lots of double checking before committing, then I carefully cut and plucked away the relevant layers until the bottom layer fit. Note that the Storm has several layers to individually pluck out, so there is a three-dimensionality to our layers whereby holes like the 18-50 lens hole taper in as you look down into the sub-layers.

What you also can't see is the underside of the top layer deck above the batteries and HDD etc, where I've cut out a half layer in order to sit flush over the bits that are proud of the layer below.

We haven't got a matte box, filters or follow focus yet, which will have to go in a second case, and probably down the line we'll have more variety in our lenses, so we'll have to modify our layout for subsequent cameras accordingly.

I plan to find a laser cutting company here in Tokyo to make a more permanent and higher strength cutout system for us, but given we just got the case and camera and needed it movable quickly, I decided to go with the plucked foam for now.

Another short term possibility is to find a rubbery spray-on glue to seal the foam layers to stop them shedding and stick them together, perhaps with some plastic backing on the lift up top section for strength. Any recommendations?

I'll report back here with further changes and updates as we alter it based on experiences in the field.

A couple of things I'd change already based on using it:

- Add one more cube size to the left of the cheese plate, as two cubes isn't quite enough to hold it when the case is on its wheels. Tends to sag a little under load.

- Not cut all the way through the foam for the rods, as it destroyed the lateral strength of the cuts. It's fine when installed but when you pull the layer out it tends to deform slightly. Not good for long term manhandling!

HTH

Paul

Damien Molineaux
02-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Ok back to Pelican.... I take it Pelican cases cannot be modified by the user, right? Does it have to be laser cut before it ships?

You can buy Pelican cases with soft/pluck foam also.

Cheers,
Damien

Charles Perkins
02-18-2008, 08:52 AM
We took delivery last week and decided on the Storm iM2975 case. This thing rocks! We took some time to figure out the best packing layout, plucked and cut away the relevant bits and voila!

I much prefer the Storm latches to Pelican's, plus the whole case is lighter but still just as strong (if not stronger). Highly recommended!

http://www.visceralpsyche.com/misc/web_images/Red_378_Storm_Case_IMG_4026a.jpg

awesome case, that looks like a better layout than the red case, though it does look bigger.

whats is the long black thing just to the left of the SD card?

Alexander Christ
02-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Cheese plate?! Great case!

SF Geek
02-18-2008, 12:39 PM
What's this red case?

michael zaletel
04-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Any pictures of the outside? Is there a Red logo on the exterior?

Shawn Booth
04-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I've posted about this a few times -
Here's the RED Pelican case:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z155/surf_kowboy/DSCN0568.jpg
Notice the RED logo branded to the case.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z155/surf_kowboy/DSCN0579.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z155/surf_kowboy/DSCN0576.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z155/surf_kowboy/DSCN0578.jpg

David M. Geary
11-22-2008, 08:54 PM
The RED case is good for shipping...although I would love to find a way to get at least one battery charger in there. They are not so good for everyday use since you have to completely break down the camera to use it.

ericyoung
12-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Can anyone recommend a good foam cutting company in the UK that's good value for money? Preferably London based?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers
Eric

Dave Blackham
12-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Can anyone recommend a good foam cutting company in the UK that's good value for money? Preferably London based?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers
Eric

Lemsford cases

ericyoung
12-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Lemsford cases

Thanks Dave

Will check them out!

Eric

Fredrik Callinggard
12-14-2008, 04:56 PM

No questions asked - hard foam.

Plucked foam is as long as you're the one handling it and your not really traveling with it.

I've taken a lot of time in planning how my RED case should be. I have the iM2750. It's all done so the RED can travel with me (just in case) and be checked in (although I always carry on the body, for safety). Everything is just under the 66lbs - the magic airline limit.

The red camera with ARRI baseplate, EVF cables in, ET EVF mount and 12+18" rods and my Actionproducts swappack on the back standing up in one half of the box (so you can just pick it up connect a battery and put the rest on as it's booting).
It has the monstercine quick release with cables just waiting for the LCD and on it is also the VF origo already connected. All ready to go.

In the other half there's the RAID's with ET shock mount (I connect them directly onto the swap pack), the CF cards, the LCD, Noga arm and 2 hexs keys (that I don't really need anymore), T bar screw driver + a down converter - ALL OF IT is the first thing you would need (except for the down converter, but it happened to have space there). Ohh I forgot a cable pocket as well.

In the lid is the extra rods, hoods for monitor and universal mounts - ALL of it the second thing you would need.

Second compartment underneath RAID compartment etc has the side handles + my ronford handheld bracket (the last things you would need, normally) + one more cable compartment.

So it's basically lift it up, connect battery and your finished assembling it before it has booted up.

I'll post pics tomorrow (it's on the last prototype so it will not be 100% by you get the idea).

Reason why I don't have the chargers and batteries in the same case is because I've designed a second storm case, which you just plug directly to main power - inside is the charger sitting there so when you open the lid you can pick up the batteries that's cut around it, or just plug them in and charge inside the case (I'm Anton Bauer). The way I see it is that you don't want to have the hassle of taking it out to connect and charge etc.

ericyoung
12-14-2008, 07:09 PM
...Reason why I don't have the chargers and batteries in the same case is because I've designed a second storm case, which you just plug directly to main power - inside is the charger sitting there so when you open the lid you can pick up the batteries that's cut around it, or just plug them in and charge inside the case (I'm Anton Bauer). The way I see it is that you don't want to have the hassle of taking it out to connect and charge etc.

Interesting idea - so the charger vents aren't obstructed in the case?

Thanks for the useful post Fredrik. I see you're in London. Where are you sourcing your Storm case and foam from?

Look forward to the pictures! Any chance you have electronic templates you're willing to share?

Cheers :)
Eric

Fredrik Callinggard
12-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Interesting idea - so the charger vents aren't obstructed in the case?

Thanks for the useful post Fredrik. I see you're in London. Where are you sourcing your Storm case and foam from?

Look forward to the pictures! Any chance you have electronic templates you're willing to share?

Cheers :)
Eric

The vents are not obstructed, I'll post a pic.

I got the storm cases from the states (cheaper) and they're actually being cut in Denmark (it's where all my equipment is).

I can't give you any templates of it since the company that cuts them are holding them and will not let them go.

But I can post pics that will show what it looks like and all you need to do is to take them to a cutter yourself - they can measure that in no time - or maybe you can?

CP cases in London are a good company (as far as I know)

Joshua Brown
12-16-2008, 12:33 AM
I know this may not be the exact best place to post this question, but I had a thought and it goes along with Red and cases for their cameras.

Given the fact that our DSMC systems are "modular" and "infinitely configurable", what is the possibility that a standard hard foam case from red will be available around product launch for us DSMC adopters. I know that I will need my case immediately for travel as the camera will be in at least 3 different countries within a few months.

Spank me if I've posted in the wrong thread. :shifty:

-Josh

ericyoung
12-16-2008, 02:11 AM
The vents are not obstructed, I'll post a pic.

I got the storm cases from the states (cheaper) and they're actually being cut in Denmark (it's where all my equipment is).

I can't give you any templates of it since the company that cuts them are holding them and will not let them go.

But I can post pics that will show what it looks like and all you need to do is to take them to a cutter yourself - they can measure that in no time - or maybe you can?

CP cases in London are a good company (as far as I know)

Thanks for the info Fredrik. Look forward to the pics.

Fredrik Callinggard
12-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi guys,

here's pics as promised (sorry that they're iPhone pics).

So this is a iM2750 storm case (a pretty small one for what's fitted into it). The battery case is an iM2720.

As you can see in the pics the vents are not obstructed at all. This is as I said a solution for AB. The connection in the back is not 100% water tight. I'm working on another solution as we speak but this is good enough.

The next pics shows the case and as you see in the lid I have the extra rods, LCD hoods, sensor cleaning, USB penlight. Now the change that's happening is that all items are getting their own velcro. I have no clue why they did it this way. I never asked for that.
So, in the camera case pics you can see that the camera is assembled with swap pack in the back, cables ready and EVF already mounted. It was Mitch Gross who gave me the idea, thanks. The EVF is resting on the 1st cut out compartment of the other half of the case. In that compartment you'll find RED drives with (slightly modified) ET shockmounts already on, RED LCD screens with quick release, cable compartment, the empty one is for AJA converter, the case is CF card case, Noga arm, red T bar screwdriver. I also have the two hex keys stuck into the foam there. These are all the 1st things that are needed when I take out the camera.

Next pictures shows when the camera is out and the 1st compartment has been lifted out. Underneath you can see the bottom compartment. Inside that lays the universal mounts, the side handles (with monstercine quick keys), ronford moose bars and the 2 compartments that are left are cut out for more extra cable space (the SD card holders laying there right now are not usually there).

Fredrik Callinggard
12-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Next pics shows firstly the bottom compartment were the universal mounts, side handles (with Monstercine quick keys) and ronford moose bars are. The two compartments left are both cut outs for extra cables (ignore the SD cards that's in there).

1st camera pic is how the camera looks when pulled out of the case and 'clicked' onto the O'Connor directly with a battery attached at the same time.

2nd pic is swap pack lifted to top rods and drive attached to it as well. LCD, noga arm put on thru zacuto and monstercine quick release system.

Voila a camera is built (except for the mattebox, FF and lens of course).

ericyoung
12-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Very useful pics Fredrik, although for some reason, can't see the three pics in your second post.

Thanks
Eric

Joshua Brown
12-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Ditto for me on the three pics too. Of course I've been having a bit of trouble seeing many of the photos on here while in china.

-Josh

Fredrik Callinggard
12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Revisit problem should be solved. Sorry about that.