PDA

View Full Version : disadvantages of proxies

Jack James
02-16-2008, 06:14 AM
Is there any practical disadvantage to transcoding the proxies in QTPro, as opposed to using RedCine or RedAlert?

Greg M
02-16-2008, 06:21 AM
The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. If you want the highest quality and more depth for color correction , exposure control, etc then the RAW file is the way to go. For offline and some on-line the proxies are a great solution.

Jack James
02-16-2008, 06:23 AM
ok... so timecode etc. is retained during a transcode, and RedCine et al is pretty much for the pre-conform/online

that seems straightforward enough

cinepost35
02-16-2008, 07:43 AM
So would Scratch, Redcine and Red Alert produce the same 4K DPX file?
In render time dose Scratch have any advantage over Red Cine and Red Alert?

Jack James
02-16-2008, 07:46 AM
without doing any tests, I would guess that redline would be the fastest method- although I honestly don't know if its multithreaded or not

Dj Joofa
02-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Is there any practical disadvantage to transcoding the proxies in QTPro, as opposed to using RedCine or RedAlert?

Under some instances Windows and Mac workflows matter for Quicktime. Quicktime Media Layer (QTML) is serialized on Windows. On Mac it is multithreaded. However, probably in many of your workflows, a single application thread may entering Quicktime, and you may be fine on Windows also. I don't know what RedCine or RedAlert is doing though.

Dj Joofa
02-16-2008, 08:28 AM
ok... so timecode etc. is retained during a transcode, and RedCine et al is pretty much for the pre-conform/online

that seems straightforward enough

I have mentioned on this forum before that Timecode can be added/removed/changed/edited very easily for a Quicktime file. Please search for (pre-compiled version of) Apple's QTTimeCode on the internet.

Troy Smith
02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
without doing any tests, I would guess that redline would be the fastest method- although I honestly don't know if its multithreaded or not

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is redline, I don't see any
links to it from the main red.com site, is it a programme? I only know of redcine and red alert.

regards
stricko

Jack James
02-19-2008, 12:49 PM
it's bundled with redalert i think, and you'll only ever see it in a terminal window

Michael Morlan
02-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Redline is the condensation of "REDAlert! command line."

Michael

Deanan
02-20-2008, 02:10 AM

It is. You can also specify how many procs you want to use.

dylancarter
02-20-2008, 10:32 AM
So would Scratch, Redcine and Red Alert produce the same 4K DPX file?
In render time dose Scratch have any advantage over Red Cine and Red Alert?

I have tested REDalert / REDline on a new mac tower and it's just a bit slower than my Scratch at creating 4k -> 2k dpx files. I have not used REDcine much, but my understanding is that it's much slower than Scratch or REDline. The true advantage of REDline is the ability to feed it scripts and set up a render farm, then speed is just a matter of money.

The recent builds of REDline are multithread and you can watch all 8 procs run fully maxed out. I don't know why that makes me happy, but it does :) Seems like I am getting my money's worth out of my mac when I can see the little sweat beads run down it's virtual forehead.

As mentioned in other threads, REDline will be out for Windows and Linux (very?) soon. This will open up a whole new world for those of us lucky enough to have render farms and people to write custom scripts.

-Dylan

Lucas Wilson
02-20-2008, 08:55 PM
I have tested REDalert / REDline on a new mac tower and it's just a bit slower than my Scratch at creating 4k -> 2k dpx files. I have not used REDcine much, but my understanding is that it's much slower than Scratch or REDline. ...

Hey Dylan,

REDCINE much slower than SCRATCH? That's weird... shouldn't be the case. Let's talk tomorrow.

Lucas

Michael Morlan
02-21-2008, 08:00 AM
It is. You can also specify how many procs you want to use.

Deanan,

Is REDCine multi-threaded, or is it only using one processor, or the GPU? I'm getting 2fps render speeds on my quad-core PC with NVidia 8800GTS.

Michael

Gunleik Groven
02-21-2008, 08:16 AM
RC is multithreaded on OSX...

But that renderspeed sounds about right, depending on what format you're rendering to and hardware you're rendering from. When you go to high-bitrate uncompressed, tons of RAM (in OSX) and a fast RAID (platform independently) starts to kick in as factors.

Gunleik