PDA

View Full Version : footage log file

Jack James
02-16-2008, 06:24 AM
how can i read the log file that's saved on the flash card?

Deanan
02-16-2008, 09:28 AM
The log file is not human readable and is meant for our engineering tools. What sort of data are you looking for (so we can think about future features)?

Jack James
02-16-2008, 09:59 AM
i think probably the more the better. it would be nice to have a file listing the timecode and reel info for each take, the shoot date and time etc. I realise most of this is somewhat redundant and can be determined just by opening the file in question, but it would be nice to have a single point of reference per reel.

Deanan
02-16-2008, 10:18 AM
I think that might be better served with a reel xml file that logs what's on a reel. This could be done in a different manner right now using REDline to make a csv file that you could bring into excel. ie:

REDline -i r3dfile --printMeta 2

It's command line now but could be extended into user friendly program (maybe that's what offhollywood is doing but he's not telling).

Jack James
02-18-2008, 04:27 AM
This is actually ideal. I've run the commandline, but can't get it to capture a file.
I've tried

redline -i A002_C002_080215_001.R3D --printMeta 1 > /Volumes/Jekyll/test.txt
but it just creates an empty file...

Stuart English
02-18-2008, 07:02 AM
It would be nice to have a file listing the timecode and reel info for each take, the shoot date and time etc. I realise most of this is somewhat redundant and can be determined just by opening the file in question, but it would be nice to have a single point of reference per reel.

Yes, that is a concept we have discussed. A simple file that summarizes what is on the Digital Magazine. Any more thought about what should be there from anyone? Input welcome.

Deanan
02-18-2008, 03:54 PM
This is actually ideal. I've run the commandline, but can't get it to capture a file.
I've tried

redline -i A002_C002_080215_001.R3D --printMeta 1 > /Volumes/Jekyll/test.txt
but it just creates an empty file...

use >& instead of >

we'll fix that for the next version.

Jack James
02-18-2008, 04:18 PM
lovely.
while we're on the subject of next versions, could I also request the possibilities of:
1. a header row in csv output
2. the possibility to process multiple files (i.e. redline -i *.r3d)

Dylan Reeve
02-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Yes, that is a concept we have discussed. A simple file that summarizes what is on the Digital Magazine. Any more thought about what should be there from anyone? Input welcome.

YES!

P2 and XDCAM EX both record per-clip XML metadata files... Typically they include the following handy info:

Clip Filename
FPS
Tracks
Start TC
End TC
Record Rate
Record Mode
Creation Time/Date
Project Name
Camera Serial

So I'd like to see those things - either in a per-clip metadata file, or in a per-magazine one.

There's no real need to use a per-clip one, I believe P2 and EX may actually store necessary metadata there (problematic for some applications if it's separated from the media) but in RED that's not required. A single shotlog.xml or something in the root would be fine.

Although I'll repeat the call I've seen others make for the files to be store one level up from the root. My copy application creates a folder based on the FAT32 volume (magazine) name, but a folder would make it easier for some management.

I'd be happy to provide samples of the metadata from those other formats if you're interested.

I also quite like that P2 includes a thumbnail image on the card for each clip (although as it's normally frame 0 it's often not that helpful - I find a couple of seconds in is better for grabbing stills blind).

Deanan
02-18-2008, 10:57 PM
YES!

Although I'll repeat the call I've seen others make for the files to be store one level up from the root. My copy application creates a folder based on the FAT32 volume (magazine) name, but a folder would make it easier for some management.

If think you mean what I think you mean, then yes that'll show up soon.
(top level folders for a magazine)

Dylan Reeve
02-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Good to hear.

As for the other stuff I've scripted a handy CSV making thingy I'll post tomorrow, but I'd still love to see it available as a handy file.

Deanan
02-18-2008, 11:35 PM
lovely.
while we're on the subject of next versions, could I also request the possibilities of:
1. a header row in csv output
2. the possibility to process multiple files (i.e. redline -i *.r3d)

There's no header row because if you were to do multiple files you'd end up
with lots of header rows in a file as you process each file. However, we'll see what we can do...

2. Could be done. you could also do it like this very quickly and it could search a whole hierarchy:

find . -name "*_001.R3D" -print | xargs -I {} REDline -i {} --printMeta 2

Jack James
02-21-2008, 07:42 AM
ah yes, good point.

Michael Morlan
02-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Deanan,

Forgive my ignorance. I understand the REDLine calls. What is the scripting language/environment of the "find" samples you are providing?

Michael

Deanan
02-21-2008, 02:39 PM
That's just in a shell. 'find' and xargs are regular unix command found on most systems and via cygwin if your on a pc.

After opening up Terminal on osx, go to your directory with the files and then run the command:
find . -name "*_001.R3D" -print | xargs -I {} REDline -i {} --printMeta 2

Michael Morlan
02-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks,

Been a while since my Silicon Graphics days. :-)

Michael

Jack James
02-25-2008, 06:46 AM
just a quick one: i've noticed the CSV version doesn't ouput the timestamp or date fields (unlike the text version) not really a problem because I can calculate them from the filenames, but thought I should flag it

Deanan
02-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks! It's now fixed in the next release which should hopefully be out today.

Mitch Deoudes
02-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Any more thought about what should be there from anyone? Input welcome.

Checksums!

:whistling: