PDA

View Full Version : Should I go to NAB this year?

dillont
02-19-2008, 08:34 AM
As it so happens, I'm now the head of purchasing / maintenance / upgrades in a department at a major university and I do the research and make recommendations on purchases for new hardware / software.

Never been to NAB before. Would the ROI be a good one if I put in a request to the powers that hold the $ for a trip to NAB to check out RED and Panasonic products?

Thanks for the advice RED TEAM :D

Dillon T.

Travis
02-19-2008, 08:45 AM
If you are looking for that hands on experience and some good face to face time with current RED owners and RED Team members, then I would suggest going. It's great experience and it sparked my own passion for RED.

Brian Fairbanks
02-19-2008, 08:49 AM
I am a bit confused if this is a question. First, NAB is going to be awesome this year, as Jim said before we are going to release Scarlet. Second, even if it does not end up being worth your time from an information side, its VEGAS BABY!!!! Hope to see you there.

Paul Hazlett
02-19-2008, 08:50 AM
There is no substitute for hands on of products you are looking to buy.
The worse that could happen is they say no...go for it.

Tico Llaurador
02-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

dillont
02-19-2008, 09:02 AM
OMG - did you just say you're *RELEASING* scarlet at NAB??????//one/?one

I'll put in the request immediately!

Thanks RED TEAM!

Ivan G
02-19-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm still debating myself. With Apple not attending NAB this year really blows. I've purcased most of my equipment already but I guess it never hurts to do a little more exploring. I'm leaving my CC at home...

Nathan Garofalos
02-19-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm going to NAB, it should be fun.

Dillont, if the university you work for is in the greater LA area, you should go. It will defiantly be worth your time, and you'll meet a lot of great people.

dillont
02-19-2008, 09:14 AM
I work at UC Berkeley - hippyville!

Artists, braniacs and stoners. Its almost heaven. :)

Dillon

David Birdy
02-19-2008, 09:28 AM
If the college will allow you and you can spare the time GO!

The NAB is the largest gathering of Broadcast venders in one place each year.

It can be very overwhelming for a 1st timer.
You may want to write down the products your interested in purchasing and follow your outline. This event will allow you to see new products and talk to your current and future venders.

Dave

Nathan Garofalos
02-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Nice, both my parents, my aunt, and uncle on my moms side, my grandma and grandpa and my aunts two oldest cousins have all graduated from Berkeley. Even though its far away for you, you shuold make the trip to go.

dillont
02-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I just put in the request. What should be my budget for a 4 day stay at a cheaper hotel?

If I do go, I'll plan on sitting at a poker table for a few hours as well and take some of the NAB'ers money. :D

Graeme Nattress
02-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Yes, it's fun! Vegas is such a strange place though - love it or loathe it!

Graeme

dillont
02-19-2008, 09:45 AM
First time (and only time) I went to Vegas a few years back, I tried my hand at playing poker face to face (rather than online) and walked out with more money than I walked in with.

Yes indeed - a very strange place.

BigLu
02-19-2008, 10:44 AM
If you are not going to NAB because Apple is not going to be there. Keep in mind FCP may likely be the, just in a different form or under a different company. This year of all years would be one of the most important years to go.
Get updated on whats going to happen,
ask the new owners 2 million questions,
find out what other editors are going to do,
get an idea on Avids situation,
look at Adobe premiers situation,
im sure there will be many answers at NAB and even more questions.

note:
I have no inside information, I am going on a pattern that ive seen threw out the years, when companies get sold and announce a NAB what the changes are and new direction is.
Its happened to me with Trinity which turned into GlobeCaster and ive seen a version of it just recently with MacroMedia / Flash go to Adobe.

So this NAB is very important.
The biggest strongest growing post production set up in the world is NOT going to be missing from NAB just like that.

I don't think so.

dillont
02-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Its happened to me with Trinity which turned into GlobeCaster and ive seen a version of it just recently with MacroMedia / Flash go to Adobe.

So this NAB is very important.

Whoa - I've been following the Trinity / Globecaster fiasco since the late 90's - come again? A version of it went to Flash / Adobe??? This fits in with other bits I've heard about adobe releasing ground shaking stuff this year.

Where can I get more information on this??

I'll be ready to buy Scarlet at NAB. Glad I waited on the DVX :clown2:

Thanks

Kelly
02-19-2008, 11:50 AM
We will not be "releasing" Scarlet... but we will be introducing Scarlet :-)

We would love to see you all there!

dillont
02-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Oh dammit.

Will you have a model on the floor for us to touch?

A thousand more questions want to torrent forth, but I feel they've already been answered (or avoided). :D

Dillon

dalemccready
02-19-2008, 12:14 PM
you need a different model than Kelly there? Check out that profile pic! :)

dillont
02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Lol. :waaa:

Jim Hoffman
02-19-2008, 01:00 PM
I think NAB is inspiring even when you don't have an agenda. It can be a bit much but it is very cool to be immersed in the "biz". Its one of the few places one can go and speak "geek" and its ok... AND people understand you and get excited too. I always come home fired up. (sometimes broke)

Paul Hazlett
02-19-2008, 01:45 PM
We will not be "releasing" Scarlet... but we will be introducing Scarlet :-)

We would love to see you all there!

I am going just to see Kelly again!!!

Elizabeth
02-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Southwest is having a sale ending tomorrow ...

$57 flights each way Oakland to Vegas.

Elizabeth
02-19-2008, 08:25 PM
I just put in the request. What should be my budget for a 4 day stay at a cheaper hotel? D

... and a link for lodging info:
http://www.nabshow.com/2008/attendee/hotel.asp

ps my parents are also CAL alumni.

Andrew Hewlett
02-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Southwest is having a sale ending tomorrow ...

$57 flights each way Oakland to Vegas.

Please don't give me extra incentive to fly out there. I'm trying to be a fiscally sound person.

dillont
03-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Looks like I won't be able to go to NAB this year after all. :( :angry01:

Dammit, Scarlet!

Fester
03-07-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm flying over from Australia but because of other commitments I'm only going to be at NAB on the first day, the 14th. What's the vibe on actually getting into the Red stand to check out the Scarlet announcements? Can I book in to secure a place?

Christian Edwards
03-08-2008, 02:38 AM
if you do go id be down to check out this http://www.nabshow.com/2008/conferences/dcs.asp

Lexicon
03-08-2008, 03:33 PM
I'd go to NAB if I could but I already have family coming all the way from Japan. My cousin married a Japanese girl and they are bringing their newborn girl over to meet the rest of the family for the first time.

chuck colburn
03-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Don't forget the ether, pot, cocaine and the giant bat proof glasses. They always kept me safe. And say hi to Tricky at the Alladin for Jake and I.