PDA

View Full Version : Pricing

vincelucero
02-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Startup costs for such a system?

Nick Wolf
02-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Pretty F---King Cool. Wonder who to talk to about getting one of those thingamajigs??? Any idea brightboy?

Rainer Fritz
02-19-2008, 12:43 PM
would be also interested in the costs of the minimal setting....

vincelucero
02-19-2008, 01:18 PM
how much is scratch?

LEON
02-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Startup costs for such a system?

Funny as Luki never speak about money, really shy or Old European education, for sure !

Paul Hazlett
02-19-2008, 02:40 PM
This sounds really cool, so say I have everything else, what do I need from
Assimilate to this happen here and how much will it cost?

Lucas Wilson
02-19-2008, 03:05 PM
This sounds really cool, so say I have everything else, what do I need from
Assimilate to this happen here and how much will it cost?

Hi guys...

I say this every few months, I guess it's that time again. :)

I will be more than happy to discuss specific pricing... offlist. Please contact me at lucas at assimilateinc dot com.

Over the past few days, I have answered about 10 requests from people off REDUSER... and all of them have received specific, detailed pricing. And there are quite a few new SCRATCH customers that originally learned about us from REDUSER...

Thanks!

Lucas
------
ASSIMILATE, Inc.
LA, CA, USA

LEON
02-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I will be more than happy to discuss specific pricing... offlist. Please contact me at lucas at assimilateinc dot com.
Lucas
------
ASSIMILATE, Inc.
LA, CA, USA

This is delicate for me to understand !
No public price, no transparency, "mysterium" everywhere !

laguun
02-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Funny as Luki never speak about money, really shy or Old European education, for sure !

Then let me jump in - not being from assimilate, but back then at discreet we also used the "donīt tell" sales approach, and thats basically how it works:

You donīt have a list price, you look at the customer and how much you can get from him.

a) If the customer is of high potential marketing value, you give him the software for free, and typically negotiate a later payment.

b) If the customer is about to move his investment to the competition, you lower the price or allow later payment.

c) If the customer is skeptical, you include an used disk array and a workstation at 40% off which still includes 30-50% earning and try to sell him the system - the customer will think he bought the software license but you earned on the computer system already.

d) If the customer -wants- the system and has -almost- enough money and its pretty clear that we will earn money, you sell him submodules and "lend" him the full version.

e) Listprice - If the wants the system and has the money you sell it at list price, but that wasnīt even 20% of the deals.

I would never say that this is the methodology assimilate is using - but that is basicly why you would like to hide list prices and why we did it in the 90ties for discreet logic.

Anyhow, regarding scratch, i got prices and offerings from between "how much is your budget", 3.000 for the conform module to 20.000 and up to 40.000 from different sales folks for the scratch software.

We decided to buy elsewhere for our 3hrd DI and colorcorrection system and the untransparent/negotiate on a per deal base pricing was one of the reasons for this.

My personal opinion is that (CEO mode on) assimilate would sell more copies of their software with higher revenue than they were able to sell in their full history so far - if they would offer a red-specific fullfeatured product which only masters redcode and only imports from dpx for 9.999 or less. IMHO they are missing a golden window of oppurtunity. (CEO mode off).

Adobe CS3, and later CS4... and 5... and so on. Or a Avid media Composer for 4.000 with an iridas speedgrade HD at 9.999. Or if you really want to invest as much as scratch cost, the fullthrottle 4k package "clipster" with dedicated realtime 4K hardware, realtime 4K colorcorrection, realtime 4K multichannel, realtime 4K fx (as blurs etc) from DVS, which celebrated its 20 years in this industry recently seem more logical investments to me right now, and thats where we put our money.

Some more interesting points to ask your preferred DI vendor after negotiating the price:
- how many systems have you actually -sold-, and donīt be shy to ask -all- the names of your local competition. Usually you will be positively surprised as you, even in soho or berlin, will find less than 1,2,3 folks who actually own the system.
- if i canīt apply a secondary colorcorrection to a steroscopic display, when will you be able to deliver that (insert weakness of the system of choice) and how many updates will you give me for free as compensation for this feature?

p.s.
donīt take that as a negative post towards assimilate, this is my position on all DI offerings right now. scratch has a ok product, with shortcomings as most products and would it be more powerful (as integrated editing or realtime 4k i/O etc etc) or cheaper it could have been our choice - we will look at it again this IBC08.

LEON
02-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Then let me jump in - not being from assimilate, but back then at discreet we also used the "donīt tell" sales approach, and thats basically how it works:

You donīt have a list price, you look at the customer and how much you can get from him.....
donīt take that as a negative post towards assimilate, this is my position on all DI offerings right now. scratch has a ok product, with shortcomings as most products and would it be more powerful (as integrated editing or realtime 4k i/O etc etc) or cheaper it could have been our choice - we will look at it again this IBC08.

Thank you for this clear explanation, many thanks !

Miltos Pilalitos
02-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Over the past few days, I have answered about 10 requests from people off REDUSER... and all of them have received specific, detailed pricing.

This must be my lucky day then since it looks as if i will finally get some answers from you. :-)

I have been talking with Assimilate since January about the prices without any luck so far. I started the conversation with Nacho, then with daniel, then with bruce, then with marie...

Then i received an evaluation software that i could never use because of some kind of mumbo jumbo conflict between the evaluation license and WinXPx64. At the beginning everybody at Assimilate was very helpful and polite but when problems were not resolving they stopped the support and i am not even getting my emails answered!!

The only thing i could see from Scratch so far was a "not licensed" message on the first screen. I am not saying Scratch doesn't work, as many post studios seem to use it (with success) but i wish someone could help me use it on my system or just tell me if i should buy a PC with x32 Windows to try it out.

Also, i could never make my Wacom Grapphire 3 tablet click with it (i was trying to press Exit) and only the mouse seemed to work. I still don't know if Scratch is picky with certain tablets or i was doing something wrong...

Anyway... i hope someone from you nice people at Assimilate could finally assist me. Feel free to PM me.

Best Regards,
Miltos

Lucas Wilson
02-21-2008, 09:15 PM
This must be my lucky day then since it looks as if i will finally get some answers from you. :-)

Then i received an evaluation software that i could never use because of some kind of mumbo jumbo conflict between the evaluation license and WinXPx64.

Hi Miltos,

I'll try and answer you, but you may not like the answer.

SCRATCH is not supported on XP64. Period. End of story. You may be able to get it to run, but it will be unstable and running on unsupported, and more importantly - untested - drivers.

If you want to evaluate SCRATCH and really see what it can do, run it on a supported XP32 system. In the meantime, I will forward this message to Nacho, Marie, Bruce, and Daniel and I'm sure they will get back to you!

Best,

Lucas

Miltos Pilalitos
02-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Thank you Lucas. No need to forward the message. That was a clear and definite answer.

Anthony Gratl
02-21-2008, 10:03 PM
My personal opinion is that (CEO mode on) assimilate would sell more copies of their software with higher revenue than they were able to sell in their full history so far - if they would offer a red-specific fullfeatured product which only masters redcode and only imports from dpx for 9.999 or less. IMHO they are missing a golden window of oppurtunity. (CEO mode off).

I think that this is accurate. Especially for us indi guys. I'm not looking to be a high end DI post house. I'm looking to finish my high quality projects in-house. It should be about 5 grand. And a good quality reasonably priced product is rewarded with loyalty. Luki what do you think of what laguun has written?

laguun, nice setup for potential ibc08 negotiations by the way.

Joe Carney
02-22-2008, 08:18 AM
The price quotes I got from Lucas were msrp, though offline I've been told by others that discounts can be had. But only if you are serious in purchasing.

I just wish I could find someone within 3 to 4 hours drive of Washington DC who has it installed and would be willing to give a live real world oriented demo. I'd even buy lunch or dinner.

Lucas Wilson
02-22-2008, 08:30 AM
The price quotes I got from Lucas were msrp, though offline I've been told by others that discounts can be had. But only if you are serious in purchasing.

I just wish I could find someone within 3 to 4 hours drive of Washington DC who has it installed and would be willing to give a live real world oriented demo. I'd even buy lunch or dinner.

How long does it take to make the trip to nyc?

Lucas

Joe Carney
02-22-2008, 08:33 AM
How long does it take to make the trip to nyc?

Lucas

It usually takes me between 3 and 4 hours depending on traffic (getting out of the DC metro area). I've driven it before and have no problem doing it again. I can also take amtrak if necessary.

Joe Carney
02-23-2008, 02:27 PM
No places to go?

Joe Carney
03-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Beuller?

Lucas Wilson
03-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Beuller?

V o o ... D o o ... Economics....

I'm working with Mark @ OffHollywood to line something up for you. He is incredibly slammed this week. I'll be in touch. : )

Best,

Lucas

Joe Carney
03-06-2008, 03:59 PM
V o o ... D o o ... Economics....

I'm working with Mark @ OffHollywood to line something up for you. He is incredibly slammed this week. I'll be in touch. : )

Best,

Lucas

Thanks, good enough.