View Full Version : new mac book pro
02-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Im about to get the new Mac Book Pro. Is it best to get the 200GB 7200rpm drive for working with red footage. also which is most suitable screen the glossy or the matt. if i choose the glossy hi res the apple store says i have to wait 2-3 weeks, the matt hi res is 7-10 days.
02-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Personally, I prefer the matte finish screen. Glossy screens may look great in certain [controlled] environments and they certainly give the appearance of greater saturation, but they're a nightmare to use in the real world. If your laptop is going to live on set in a constantly changing environment, you'll need all the help you can get to see the screen.
I'll be picking one of the MBPs up as well... I'm leaning towards the 7,200 only because an ounce of speed is worth 50GB and $49 to me. Since I keep all of my footage on externals, the HD will only hold the system and applications for me.
02-26-2008, 06:51 PM
The matte finish is good for viewing whenever. If you will only be using your computer indoors, with low light, and not glare, go with glossy, otherwise go with the matte finish. You don't want to have a blanket over your head all the time trying to see your computer.
02-26-2008, 06:57 PM
what about the LED?
You think is Ok for fidelity? I have never tryed them
02-26-2008, 07:10 PM
LED is great. It's brighter and the backlighting is fairly consistent for a laptop.
02-26-2008, 07:14 PM
i am going to wait until people test it a little bit before buying one is not problem to wait 2 weeks more.
That way I will make sure about incompatibilitys don“t want to put my money in to something that wan“t be able to use for my works with red...
02-27-2008, 06:57 PM
thanks guys i have decided to go for the matte screen now.
i just have a couple more questions is it worth paying the extra £160 or $250 to have 2.6GHZ instead of 2.5GHZ.
i also found out that jigsaw charged £715.58 for final cut studio and the apple store charged £849 thats a big price difference and it made me think it it worth up grading the SDRAM myself it might be a lot cheaper than direct from apple, and might it even be cheaper not to buy direct from apple.
02-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I haven't ever taken a mbp apart, so I don't know about you putting in the RAM yourself. But go with the 2.6ghz processor. In likely hood, most people wont notice a difference. But when a new processor comes out, like a 2.8ghz and you have a 2.5ghz a difference may be noticeable where as if you had the 2.6ghz processor you may not notice a difference at all.
02-27-2008, 08:30 PM
I got the 2.5ghz 15" with the matte finish and 250gb drive.
The extra $250 for a fractional Ghz step-up was not worth it.
I'l spend the savings maxing out the ram.
02-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Nice, youll love your new computer. ENJOY IT!!!