View Full Version : Problam in Avid offline - online with red

talkeller
03-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Hi Evreyone
I have a problam and i hope someone can help me
i took the shoots from RED threw Redcine and render as QT avid DNxHD
then with metacheat export the timecode and import to avid
i edit a sequence and then precompose.
i batch import the new sequence in better resolution (like we do in online)
but then something strange happen:
i got the new clips with time code, but in double speed or more, depend on the duration of the clips. the new clips were from the start till the end but with fast speed.
i don't know what i did wrong
maybe i need to import all the clips in better resolution and not just the clips that i am using in the timeline like we do in a normal consolidate ?
please halp me

MichaelP
03-04-2008, 05:21 PM
A lot of the batch recapture workflows are still being worked out and tested. I will take a look at this to see what is going on.

Michael

Jörgen Persson
03-04-2008, 06:15 PM
i edit a sequence and then precompose.
i batch import the new sequence in better resolution (like we do in online)

You can't batch import the original QT clips after a decompose. For a decomposed sequence you need to create new ones in Redcine that match the trimmed media (which needs an EDL or XML workflow or a notepad and some manual labor). For now I would just batch import the sequence without doing a decompose. It will take a lot more time if the takes are long. But it works.

MichaelP
03-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Ah yes. I missed the decompose part. Batch imports rely on a frame offset from beginning of file to correctly work. A decompose changes that relationship since the import does not look at the metadata. Well not for QT based media, XDCAM HD proxies do work based on disc label and timecode but that is a different format and implementation.

For now, rebusfilm is correct. You can always put the sequence in its own bin, set bin display to show original master clips, then batch import those. May cut down on time unless you used a piece of every shot...

Michael

talkeller
03-04-2008, 10:18 PM
thanks for your replay

so what i need to do is to make new clips, lat say Avid DNxHD 2K
with the same long as those i used for my offline
delet the long clips from my project and re-batch import the
new resolution ?
its a feater film so it will take were long time, is it the only way ?
i read somewere that i can export online EDL from the avid load it
to Redcine and re-create the new 2K clips base on the timecode
from the original clips, is it true ?
and do you know how to do it ?

Jörgen Persson
03-05-2008, 02:29 AM
thanks for your replay
i read somewere that i can export online EDL from the avid load it
to Redcine and re-create the new 2K clips base on the timecode
from the original clips, is it true ?
and do you know how to do it ?

This doesn't work (yet). Why on earth are you shooting a feature without a viable workflow for post? It's like shooting a movie on film and then realizing you need to develop, telecine and log tapes.

Since Scratch is the only solution to conform an EDL (for now) I would suggest you contact a post house with a Scratch DI suite who can help you out when the edit is locked. MetaCheater and Avid will get you a proper EDL for conform.
MichaelP should know more about this.

Dylan Reeve
03-05-2008, 03:07 AM
The missing step if from edited Avid sequence to RedCine XML file for the pull list. Avid is working on a tool to generate RedCine XML, but it's not yet available.

MichaelP
03-05-2008, 03:21 AM
The XML will help RedCine locate and process the files for a finish on non Scratch systems such as generating DPX fles. For now, you should be able to import an EDL into Scratch for conform.

Michael

Greg Huson
03-05-2008, 09:15 AM
This might be a bit of a roundabout, and certainly untested, but it may be possible to use FCP as an intermediary in generating your XML. Something like... Metacheater into Avid, Automatic duck from Avid to FCP, then redtrip from FCP to RedCine. Pretty convoluted, to be sure, and I'm not sure how you'd handle the last step, getting the redcine'd footage back to Avid. Seems like you might want to find someone with Scratch for finishing this particular film. Avid is great for tape and film based workflows, but FCP is stronger right now for file-based workflows. Hopefully they'll fix this soon- as tape-based workflows may be on their way out!
Another option for you is one you may have already suggested (not sure,) but you could make make a list of JUST the source clps that are in the finished cut, render those at higher resolution, and just reimport those clips only, in their original length. At least you would have to re-render ALL the dailies.
Honestly, though, why not just use the DNX36 copy of the feature (I assume this is what you're talking about) to garner interest in the project, then go to scratch, pablo, something like that to make your hirez copy once you have an outlet/festival/sale? At some point, at least right now, with 4k, you gotta go to the 'big iron.'
Or, wait until mid-April. I'm guessing major improvements in workflow are mere weeks away.

talkeller
03-05-2008, 10:00 AM
I Heard that Avid planing an Answer to Finalcut with
Symphony Nitris 2K that will help all of us Avid-Lover
Did anyone heard something about it ?

Patrick Tresch
03-05-2008, 11:29 AM
I Heard that Avid planing an Answer to Finalcut with
Symphony Nitris 2K that will help all of us Avid-Lover
Did anyone heard something about it ?

Hope it would be implemented in DS nitris as it could handle 4k!
(Work on 2k proxies and render from the original 4k dpx files to 4k).

Pat.

Ido Karilla
04-04-2008, 01:31 AM
I was thinking of importing the offline EDL from Avid to FCP then create an xml and with the help of Crimson conform in Redcine.

MichaelP
04-04-2008, 11:25 AM
The upcoming release will have direct RedCine export as XML.

Michael

Marcus Vasques Osorio
04-04-2008, 11:10 PM
When? :-) Personally think this is the perfect solution

MichaelP
04-05-2008, 07:32 AM
All I can say at this point is Q2/08.

Michael

dmax
07-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Hi Michael,

Is this any closer? I am trying to establish a reliable Avid offline to aVID (ds) online workflow...
Thanks,
Dec

MichaelP
07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
We hope to post a dedicated landing page on Avid,com for all things RED in the next couple weeks. There is still a lot of testing and reading of whitepapers to ensure it is all correct...

Hang in there....

Michael