PDA

View Full Version : Look, Mom, my First 4K Redcode Project!

Thom Steinhoff
03-14-2007, 02:38 PM
This may be basic stuff here, but I have a bit of a mental disconnect.

Since you guys at RED are already doing this, maybe if you could shed some light on the subject here.

I plan to shoot Redcode 4K and the occasional 2K for slower motion. Say I've shot a dozen clips in 4K and 2K and now I want to edit them...

My clips are in individual quicktime files, and as I understand--Since your codec will let me injest the files right into any quicktime application, I will just have to transfer them off of the drive and my edit computer and add them to the Final Cut project--right?

I open Final Cut, and create what type of project? Say I want my output for the time being to be 1080p. so I would assume I would choose a 1080p project type. Are you creating a Redcode project type? What if I want to create a 4K project?

When in the workflow do I take the conversion hit--Before I drop them in? On dropping the files in? After I've edited and creating the master? Rendering?

How tough is it to mix 4K and 2K?

Justin Anderson
03-14-2007, 04:12 PM
yaaay!!

Cail Young
03-14-2007, 05:24 PM
A lot of this depends on whether they change the fundamental way FCP works with sequences - currently sequences operate as one codec/resolution/framerate combination, and anything different needs to be rendered into the sequence settings. If they change it to allow things like realtime proxying (pulling 2K/1080p from a 4K source file directly into a 2K/1080p timeline) then all you would need to do is drop camera source clips into the timeline of your choice.

As it stands currently, I would recommend logging all your media then using Media Manager to convert the clips to whatever your working resolution is (whether that's online or offline) then conforming at the end through Media Manager (or REDCINE?). That's FCP5 specific, though; other NLEs may differ. I recommend this method because it means your media will match the sequence settings and will not require rendering for playback; whereas you probably could drop the REDCODE clips directly in to any sequence but FCP5 and below will want you to render them if the sequence doesn't match the clips.

EDIT: Also, it's important to distinguish between project and sequence - projects (.fcp file) are not tied to any particular format; sequences within projects are.

Bruce Allen
03-14-2007, 06:00 PM
My clips are in individual quicktime files, and as I understand--Since your codec will let me injest the files right into any quicktime application, I will just have to transfer them off of the drive and my edit computer and add them to the Final Cut project--right?

Not right. AFAIK, there is no Quicktime codec yet. You have to use REDCINE to generate QT files of your choice from the REDCODE stuff.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

Thom Steinhoff
03-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Not right. AFAIK, there is no Quicktime codec yet. You have to use REDCINE to generate QT files of your choice from the REDCODE stuff.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

I think Graeme has mentioned this a few times. I did a little poking around and came up with this post...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5156#post5156

Bruce Allen
03-15-2007, 01:22 AM
I think Graeme has mentioned this a few times. I did a little poking around and came up with this post...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5156#post5156

Wow, that would be amazing, a true competitor to the Silicon Imaging / Cineform workflow then (where you shoot off the camera and go straight to edit without transcode). Well, I guess the same could be said for HDV, DVCPROHD, Avid DNxHD with Ikegami Editcam, etc...

Surely they would list such a thing if they were offering it? Graeme?

MikeCurtis
03-15-2007, 08:25 AM
My understanding, and I'm open to being wrong:

1.) There will be three kinds of Red codec: uncompressed RAW (RED RAW), compressed RAW (Redcode RAW), and compressed RGB (Redcode RGB).

2.) Redcode RGB will probably (AFAIK from public statements) play off a timeline in FCP - so if you shot with that format, you could drop it on. However, it takes up more space than similar Redcode RAW.

3.) But if you want to make offline versions, that is specifically what Redcine is there to help you with.

4.) But if you wanted a guaranteed accurate software conform for online, yeah that'd work.

-mike