PDA

View Full Version : redcode 4k to 2k filter comparisons

Jack James
03-14-2008, 06:25 AM
hi there
I've done some comparison images of down-rezzing 4k to 2k & HD using redline's different filter methods.

DPX images and more info here:
http://www.surrealroad.com/research/archives/2008/red-4k-resize/

Andrew M.
03-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Yes, I am interested in this as well.
So far PS CS3 gives me the best results on single frame.
Premiere is the next when resizing is concern and After Effects is not giving me as good results in resizing as Premiere, maybe I don't know AE well.
Also REDCINE set to resize is giving good 2K TIF and DPX output.

Deanan
03-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Different algorithms provide different qualities and every has their own preferences. Sometimes a smoother downsample is preferable to a sharper one and sometimes vice versa.

My personal favorites are CatRom for sharper and Mitchell/Gaussian for smoother. Maybe bicubic also.

Matt Uhry
04-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks, this is incredibly useful. I'd been meaning to test this...

Matt Uhry
www.mattuhry.com

Peter McCully
04-13-2008, 05:11 PM
I've had very good results with the resize in Eyeon's Fusion using "sinc" algorithm.

conrad gaunt
06-01-2008, 06:16 AM
If anyone wants to help test my Freeware batch 4k image downsampler, it produces excellent resamples to any resolution. It supports many image formats including TIFFs and is very reliable. Its written primarily for myself, and all processing is floating point. Its a windows tool, but will run under linux using "WINE" or any MAC equivilent (rossetta? I haven`t tested on a MAC, don`t have one). PM me with an email and I can send the 400k zip.