Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: An examination of: The Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 T2.9

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Does anyone have enough experience with Fujinon 19-90 version 1 and 2 (updated) to do a good comparison of them? I've shot a lot with the 19-90 in the past but can't remember, or never though much about which versions they were. I know the basic difference is that version 2 is supposed to resolve slightly better and read on the BH review that the review felt it breathed a bit less. I'm wondering if in a real world scenario if the difference is that noticeable. I'm considering looking into a used v1 or v2 to buy and I'm trying to figure out if I should be paying $8K more for the v2. Thanks in advance!!

Bringing this question back to life. I'm used to shooting version 2, and this weekend I can only get hands on version 1. Any noticeable differences optically?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Stout View Post
    Does anyone have enough experience with Fujinon 19-90 version 1 and 2 (updated) to do a good comparison of them? I've shot a lot with the 19-90 in the past but can't remember, or never though much about which versions they were. I know the basic difference is that version 2 is supposed to resolve slightly better and read on the BH review that the review felt it breathed a bit less. I'm wondering if in a real world scenario if the difference is that noticeable. I'm considering looking into a used v1 or v2 to buy and I'm trying to figure out if I should be paying $8K more for the v2. Thanks in advance!!
    Modest Helium Kit + Pro Primes
    -GG
    ggcinema.com

Finally got a D-Tap to Hirose 20 pin power cable, and I now get good metadata for 2 of my 3 parameters: Iris and Zoom. Both move exactly with, and correspond exactly to, what I see on the lens barrel.

The focus metadata, however, is whack. At both ends of the zoom range, focusing at infinity shows infinity, but as one racks focus inward, the focus change is much too rapid, leading to reports of 1" or N/A when focused close-in. Moreover, when focused somewhere in the middle, say 5', the reported focus point changes as one zooms from near to far. Does anybody have a method for setting DIP switches or RED settings so that focus metadata is as it should be?
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #54  
    Michael
    This sounds like a known issue that both Fuji and Cooke are aware of. Fuji is setting the Fd-near and Fd-far values incorrectly. We use both for the display. Fuji has a firmware update for the lens. You should contact Fuji about how to get your lens updated.
    What camera firmware are you running? At one time we reported a single value but now report the near and far focal distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Winder View Post
    Michael
    This sounds like a known issue that both Fuji and Cooke are aware of. Fuji is setting the Fd-near and Fd-far values incorrectly. We use both for the display. Fuji has a firmware update for the lens. You should contact Fuji about how to get your lens updated.
    What camera firmware are you running? At one time we reported a single value but now report the near and far focal distances.
    Good to know. I sent the lens into Fuji a few months ago for general checkup and they sent it back unmodified. Must be a very new update. I'll contact Tami and see what she tells me.

I'd like to put the Fujinon ZK19-90mm T2.9 Cabrio PL on a RED Raven (fixed EF)- has anyone found a PL to EF adapter to successfully make that work? I've seen a few adapters out there, but their compatibility list does not mention Fujinon.

If that does not work, can anyone recommend the best lightweight ENG/Doc full zooms for EF mount (looking for something 19-90mm or more, at T2.9 or less, for $25K or less).

The Canon 17-120 EF mount Cine Servo lens is on sale at B&H for under $25,000. It is T2.95, so that doesn't quite meet your criteria of T2.9 or less. But that's the lens you want (and it doesn't require an adapter that may well cost $2K-$4K, if it exists).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    The Canon 17-120 EF mount Cine Servo lens is on sale at B&H for under $25,000. It is T2.95, so that doesn't quite meet your criteria of T2.9 or less. But that's the lens you want (and it doesn't require an adapter that may well cost $2K-$4K, if it exists).
    Thanks,

the Canon 17-120 EF is on my list, it is a bit larger and heaver than I would like, but it is nice and will probably be the one we end up getting..

These Matt Porwoll videos have been helpful http://mattporwoll.com/tag/behind-the-lens/, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.. We're moving from prime lens cinema work to ENG run and gun and I need something that I can use on both the Weapon and the Raven..

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fredericks View Post
    Thanks,

the Canon 17-120 EF is on my list, it is a bit larger and heaver than I would like, but it is nice and will probably be the one we end up getting..

These Matt Porwoll videos have been helpful http://mattporwoll.com/tag/behind-the-lens/, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.. We're moving from prime lens cinema work to ENG run and gun and I need something that I can use on both the Weapon and the Raven..
    With two cameras there is much to be said for putting a longer zoom on one camera and a wider zoom on the other, with overlap in between. The Cabrio's range is fantastic if you are all alone and have to do everything. But if you have two cameras in play, divide and conquer!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fredericks View Post
    I'd like to put the Fujinon ZK19-90mm T2.9 Cabrio PL on a RED Raven (fixed EF)- has anyone found a PL to EF adapter to successfully make that work? I've seen a few adapters out there, but their compatibility list does not mention Fujinon.
    We'll have this kit ready to begin shipping VERY soon. It's nearly identical to our Fujinon Cabrio 20-120mm EF mount kit.
    ~Matthew Duclos
    connoisseur du glass
    facebook twitter CoC