Thread: Is 3D dying

Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast
    Hi,

Can anyone here recall the name of the stereo 35mm film motion picture camera that was announced about 15 years ago, that had a fixed lens separation, but adjustable gate separation?

Thanks,

Mike

2. #202 No. 
    I ran projection on a test today with 3D @ 60p. The test included 30p material alongside 60p. 60p looks amazing 30p also looked nice but 60p action is where its at.

Test conditions: 40' silver screen, barco dp4k-32b, 60p/3d dcp, light speed designs depthQ polarization

If you want to test 4k, hfr4k, 3D, 3Dhfr, 4k3DD, hfr4k 3D send me a message...

3D in its present form is limited and dark cinema screens and goofy glasses at home are fatal hurdles but 3D is SO not dead. It will find a very happy and natural home in VR. Just try some VR glasses and then try pronounce 3D dead.
    Tom Gleeson

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    3D in its present form is limited and dark cinema screens and goofy glasses at home are fatal hurdles...
    I think the new Laser D-Cinema projectors are game-changers in that they more than double the on-screen brightness. The question will be how many theaters will be willing to get rid of their existing projectors and upgrade to the new Laser projectors from companies like Christie and Barco.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

REDuser Sponsor
    I can tell from first hand experience and as someone who made their entire living off of 3D films for 5 years... 3d stereo capture is for the most part a thing of the past. It is not now nor will it ever be entirely dead... It's now back at the level it was before the boom. Every now and then a movie will shoot native 3d, maybe one or two per year. Others will convert here and there. There is still an industry there but it definitely collapsed. You just won't see the huge boom for broadcast, news, sports, and everything under the sun in 3D. People didn't want to wear glasses at home for the most part and now UHD is the new thing driving TV sales...
    Chris Burket
    Burk Bags
    Made in the USA

That's a shame.
    Good, native 3D can be incredibly immersive, as Ridley Scott has been proving with Prometheus and The Martian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    It's already dead to me...
    +1

I specifically avoid 3D showings.

I also wear glasses... SO, It was dead to me from this generations start.
    I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself. -Oscar Wilde

Nothing takes me out of a film more than the constant reminder that I am sitting in a theater watching one. That's what 3D does to me.

To me, 3D is "unmersive"
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Banned
    3D is popular nowdays,good or bad?everyone have different thoughts

Watching the Martian in 3D left me wanting to see the 2 D version in 4K. The 3D added nothing to the movie experience IMHO.
    It saw it in a very good cinema too, so it wasn't the equipments fault per se, but one could always hope.
    I much rather watch a nice 4K version.