Thread: Is 3D dying

Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Dittert View Post
    I watched that as 1080 ( one eye ) and it looked incredibly soft. Not even 1280 real resolution. Care to comment on what's going on ?
    YouTube streaming is not at original resolution. Best download the movie and then play using software or hardware S3D player.
    Last edited by Maciej Orman; 10-06-2013 at 11:33 PM.

If they keep making "event" pictures like Gravity, there'll always be a place for 3D, particularly for movies that are this spectacular and immersive.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Les Dittert View Post
    I watched that as 1080 ( one eye ) and it looked incredibly soft. Not even 1280 real resolution. Care to comment on what's going on ?
    Whilst I agree the footage is soft, however, it is certainly clearer in 3D. It's quite an interesting phenomenon which I believe has to do with how the brain interprets the 2 images. Try watching 4k or looking at the world with one eye closed, it looks softer compared to viewing it with 2 eyes. The perceived resolution of 1080p 3D (1920x1080 per eye) is greater than 2D 1080p. How much clearer is only speculation, but I'd have a guess and say 3D 720p (1280x720 per eye) is every bit as clear as 2D 1080.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    If they keep making "event" pictures like Gravity, there'll always be a place for 3D, particularly for movies that are this spectacular and immersive.
    Absolutely, just saw Gravity yesterday and the use of 3D was awesome. Hard to imagine watching it in 2D.
    www.GoatAndYeti.com
    The Robert Rig, 3D Made Easier

Gravity was shot in mono/2D. The 3D was all done in post;

http://www.primefocusworld.com/work/...ros-pictures-0

If there was a one camera + one lens 3d solution I think that 3d doesn't have to die, it would be an option like subtitles or a different language thing. If you prefer to watch the thing in 3d then you switch it on or off if you don't want to?

I guess you can get easy 3d images from Light field cameras but they have a long way to shoot video..

Quote Originally Posted by Emir Aksay View Post
    If there was a one camera + one lens 3d solution I think that 3d doesn't have to die, it would be an option like subtitles or a different language thing. If you prefer to watch the thing in 3d then you switch it on or off if you don't want to?

I guess you can get easy 3d images from Light field cameras but they have a long way to shoot video..
    Self promotion, Emir?

3D will always be around until the idea is replaced by holographic films. Now look at the market, last year was a big 3D year. I'd say 80% of movie goers could care less though and look at this year. Much less. So we'll see films with 3D for years to come but I wouldn't expect it to consume a large portion of the market.

I happy the hype has died down.

Now what about 48FPS? When Jim said 48P is the new thing... I knew in my gut he was wrong. For sports, sure, it's fun but people have enjoyed watching feature films in 24 frames per second for a long time and will continue for a long time to come. In fact, since silent film days to now, one consistent trait of all films has been the presence of 24 frames in one second of viewing.
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

Quote Originally Posted by Will Keir View Post
    3D will always be around until the idea is replaced by holographic films.
    Ugh...holographic movies would totally suck. Besides the subjective point of view, which in theory is somewhat interesting, I can't imagine the eyestrain. People complain about 3d... viewing holography in a dark room for 2 hours would be unbearable.

Found this article on the subject: http://news.discovery.com/tech/holographic-3d-tv.htm

...what a bad idea

RED Scarlet-W 5K Dragon "Genesis"

GOKER & BIT PRODUCTIONS

www.youtube.com/c/everythingmedieval

I see it differently. It would be like watching a live play but with all the glory, effects, and locations of films. Maybe even shown on a raked stage. Do your eyes strain in normal life? Or when you watch a play? Holograms are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hall View Post
    Ugh...holographic movies would totally suck. Besides the subjective point of view, which in theory is somewhat interesting, I can't imagine the eyestrain. People complain about 3d... viewing holography in a dark room for 2 hours would be unbearable.

Found this article on the subject: http://news.discovery.com/tech/holographic-3d-tv.htm

...what a bad idea
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."