Thread: Is 3D dying

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Wilson View Post
    Dreamwork pioneers, Sony any major brand you name it you got it, all are moving into it like frantic crazy.
    That statement might have been true 2 or 3 years ago. It's not particularly true today.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    3D is not going anywhere. It´s a proven money maker, and all tent-poles are embracing it. It´s too much a of a money maker to pass up. Its also an experience, especially in IMAX, that is very difficult to replicate at home, which is another very strong SELL.

As more film-makers embrace it, the medium will get better. Remember, most director´s have only taken one crack or maybe two at 3D. Wait until until some of our best directors and DP´s have shot 4 or 5 pictures in 3D....their syntax will only get better, and their pictures stronger. Like any medium, it will get better with time.
    They also share tricks, share a knowledge of aesthetics through hit or miss. You can see in teh Great Gatsby a truly mature and charming use of 3D that married well with the film.

it's a zombie at this point. a corpse that doesn't know it's died already. I wish they'd expand true IMAX. I've always loved the immersive power of true IMAX certainly over 3d.

I've always felt most progress happens with our gear because we want/demand it. Better resolution, better color, better sound, more efficient work flows etc. . It has always felt to me like 3d is being pushed down the pipe rather than people pulling for it. Ways of extending theater life, selling more gear, selling more everything.

I've seen impressive 3d. But it still remains a novelty to me and not much more. Maybe someday.

I'd prefer more compelling stories.
    Jim Hoffman
    Chicago, Illinois

3D might take off when lightfield sensors become practical. I think the next big 3D push will be along with VR ala Oculus Rift etc. Simply shooting stereo though won't cut it for an oculus like experience.

I think that well thought out 3D drives a certain style of edit where we have different intermediate steps from shot to shot than are visually acceptable to the audience than in a 2D film.

As in, most audiences find jump cuts jarring and also find that going from wide to tight close feels strange in the theater. Tracking or continuous shots seem to work ok, however..but if you are making a 3D project as director, think over how you are getting from a-b-c and beyond in pre-pro. If you don't you may be the one with bad reviews.

We regard 3D as another format which clients choose to work or not work with. The most important issue is we understand it are equipped for it and can do it well if and when its required. Some of the work we have been privileged to work have had a real boost from the format. Other projects which we have worked in 2D may not have lent themselves to 3D for all sorts of reasons.

As for displays or theatre's we await for a glasses free world.

One more example of something with potential being thrown away due to misuse.

Glasses are the least of issues, being the most obvious limitation they are just used as something to put the blame on, because most people are unable to verbalize the main issues. People would wear turtles on their heads if it was worth it but this approach, which could be described as a travesty of stereographic imaging, obviously isn't.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    One more example of something with potential being thrown away due to misuse.

Glasses are the least of issues, being the most obvious limitation they are just used as something to put the blame on, because most people are unable to verbalize the main issues. People would wear turtles on their heads if it was worth it but this approach, which could be described as a travesty of stereographic imaging, obviously isn't.
    There certainly are other issues and misuse I agree. Like it or not glasses are perceived as an issue and for some perception is reality. Cumbersome kit and bad mirrors is another issue, it drove us to build some of our own 3D kit in the end.

I hope the 3D doesn't go away, we need to keep working and making it better.

Yes to Movies but for video games no, 3D is perfect for video games and love it!!! Drake Uncharted 3 in 3D is amazing :)
    Weapon Helium 8K "MEGATRON"
    EPIC-W "Clem Fandango"
    Alexa Mini "Nashville"
    Alexa Mini "Hey Arnold"
    ATLAS ORION Anamorphic 40mm, 65mm, 100mm
    Zeiss CP.2 18mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm
    ARRI WCU-4 3 Channel Fiz Kit
    (4) HEDEN CARAT FOLLOW FOCUS
    Teradek 3000 Bolt 1:3
    (2) Teradek 1000 Bolt 1:3
    (2) Teradek 600 Bolt 1:3
    (2) Teradek Serv Pro