Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: REDRAY NOW SHIPPING...

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    The Samsung sounds promising... Been real happy with their panels last few years...

Say Jarred, what is your experience with Redmere HDMI cables? Can they be used? Any pros/cons? (Could help with the Seiki issue?)

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    Casey, are you saying that we only get one license for the .RED encoder per player? Those of us who work on multiple machines have to buy additional licenses?
    After further review of the manual, I've now found this: "Each purchase of a REDRAY comes with one RRencode license that you can install on up to five devices at a time."

I'll Edit the original reply...

Everyone might want to try this with their Sieki..

http://www.ezonecable.com/20m-65ft-2...v-2160p-ready/
    or this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882422054

Might work...specs say full 340mhz and boost. For the price seems worth a shot.

Somebody said something about Redmere on the Sieki thread but I can't seem to locate it.

Now back to drooling about Redray....
    Last edited by Dave Archer; 06-20-2013 at 05:28 AM.

where can we get build 19 ? having the ability to import other formats into redcine x would make it so much more functional specially for vfx shots since you can't write out .R3D
    Film, A glorious dance between Technology and Art....!
    Epic-W......

I'm confused about this? How is this going to help vfx shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Bing Bailey View Post
    where can we get build 19 ? having the ability to import other formats into redcine x would make it so much more functional specially for vfx shots since you can't write out .R3D

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Redmere cables seem to work alright. When actually running bandwidth testing on the cables, the high-speed 24AWG (4K rated) HDMI's from monoprice actually perform better than their Redmere ones. But those high-speed cables (non Redmere) don't support integrated ethernet or audio return, if you need that stuff. The Monoprice Redmere and high-speed rated perform as good as anything else out there on the market that I've found.

I have a love/ hate relationship with the SEIKI. It has a pretty nice image once you get it dialed in. On the other hand, it's built like a total piece of crap and it has a lot of issues with signal compatibility and drop-outs from more than a few 4K sources I've tried. The 3rd HDMI input on the panel seems to have the worst issues and I'm blaming that on improper EMI shielding with its close proximity to the power supply. All things considered, it's a hack-job of a panel, rushed to market and not well tested. I'm reluctant to put it in a situation where high profile clients can see it because it likes to glitch out every now and then, even on sources that are typically fine. I've got a client that's hooking me up with a 55" Sony 4K next week and I'll probably be using that a lot more, may even just sell the SEKI. And yeah, the side speakers on the Sony 4K panels are pretty fugly. Typical Sony design, though -- it seems every few generations of TV, they have to try the Dumbo-ear speaker design and it's always met with luke-warm reception and even outright criticism. The speakers do sound nice for integrated speakers on a flat panel, but still suck compared to any decent sound system you would be likely to pair with a display like this.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Weaponized Dragon for hire. 8K available... "soon"

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    We are using these as our desktop monitors in the office hooked up to our computers, and as I mentioned we get the same drift in and out issues. There is a solution for that panel.. Griffin makes a stabilizer that fixes it almost instantly for whatever device you hook up to... but its not a cheap solution.
    We haven't had these issues with the Seiki's we're using. And we've also set the bar appropriately low for these. Without a doubt, these are $1K monitors. But the bang for that buck is pretty unreal. That said, can you clarify what the Gefen solution is you mentioned? Product name? We've had clients buying these for personal and board room playback. I'd like to know the Gefen stabilizer you mentioned to recommend to them. Thanks Jarred.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Anderson View Post
    ... I'd like to know the Griffin stabilizer you mentioned to recommend to them. ...
    While I wouldn't presume to put words in Jarred's mouth, I think he probably meant "Gefen" and not "Griffin."

Here is Ron Lagerlof's post back on May 11th.:

"OK, sports fans... News Flash!!!

The FW update did a good job to make the OPPO BDP-103 rock solid and significantly improved one particularly bothersome source, but did not completely cure it. So, then - I tried this hookup, after discussing with the chief tech at Gefen, he suggested I try their GTB-HDMI-3DTV extender. Plugged it all together and BAM! NO sync issues or dropouts from my "bothersome" source...

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtb-hdmi-3d...p?prod_id=9420

You may also be able to use this one which is $100 less... probably has the same chipset.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtv-hdbt-ca...?prod_id=10870

BTW - cables used are 6' long Monoprice "High Speed" HDMI (the ones with the nylon mesh "Net Jacket") from the receiver to the TV and a 4' cable (same type) from the device to the sender unit. I'm using an off the shelf CAT6 patch cable in the photo and tried a home-built one about 6' long which also worked. I will try progressively longer cables and report back.

The issue, as it was explained to me is that the SEIKI has trouble with "weak" HDMI signals and it appears that the Gefen solution drives the signal at a level that the display is happy with. And, now, I'm very happy!!!"

Zeiss Lenses:

CY 21/2.8
    ZF 28/2.0
    CY 35-70/3.4
    CY 50/1.4
    ZF100/2.0

Nikon Lenses:
    G 14-24/2.8
    G 24-70/2.8
    D 80-200/2.8

Tokina Lenses:

11-16/2.8

I may have just stumbled across a similar solution to the Gefen which is quite a bit cheaper and seems to work. ...Initial tests promising, more info soon.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Weaponized Dragon for hire. 8K available... "soon"

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Sorry yes the was Gefen not Griffin :) Thanks Bill.

I would package that a little differently though.. I dont think the Seiki has problems with "weak" HDMI signals.. i would say they have a problem with "normal" HDMI signals, and prefers strong "stong/boosted" signals.