Thread: Red Rocket PCIE conflict in Hackintosh?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Yep, upgrading the firmware is one of the first things I tried. The thing is I can't get the H680 to work in the x4 slot even when there's nothing plugged into the TB ports and the resources for Thunderbolt is set to minimum. And if I arrange the cards as you suggest, then the Rocket has to be in a Thunderbolt enclosure, which I'm trying to get away from, especially with Rocket-X coming. The current Rocket won't fit in the x4 slot on this motherboard because the fan hits the system header ports. I'd really like to get all my cards inside the case and not have a TB enclosure. Right now, I really just want TB for my SxS reader. If I can't get it to work I'll just get the Sony USB3 reader and go with a non-TB motherboard.

I agree that the Gigabyte motherboards are just too limited in resources. I'm going to try an Asus Maximus V Extreme this weekend. Still has 1 TB port, but has more resources for the PCIE slots. If that doesn't work, then I'll just go non-TB or wait for more Haswell motherboards (with TB) to come out that will hopefully have more resources.

It's a shame that these motherboard manufacturers aren't adding additional chipsets to give more resources for PCIE slots. The motherboard I want just doesn't exist (2 TB ports, 2 x16 bandwidth slots that don't go down to x8 when you use both, 2 x8 slots the same way, etc.) I really think there's a market for these boards if they'd just make them.

What you are asking for is out of the specs for the ivy bridge chipset. You get extra pcie lanes when you jump to Sandy Bridge-e (or upcoming ivy-bridge-e chips), but no thunderbolt. Vice versa, you get fewer lanes with ivy bridge, and then you lose more with thunderbolt.

I have the same motherboard. I have a GTX 780 in the 16x slot. Alongside it, I have used the H680 in the x16 or x8 slots, or the redrocket. Never both. I only need the h680 with Arriraw Codex, and redrocket for Red. So I never need both at the same time (currently).

Furthermore... what thunderbolt SxS reader are you using? the only one I know of is the Sonnet Echo. It works...if you reboot for every card! (due to the lack of thunderbolt hotswap on Windows/Hackintosh). So I am using the USB 3.0 SxS Reader without any problems.

I have this same setup. I run my rocket in a Magma thunderbolt 3T. I have two 8x cards in my mac. SAS and GFX. I could never get 3 cards to work in there, even at slower speeds.
    http://www.radiumcamera.com
    http://www.cinetechshow.com

SILICON VALLEY Rental house
    Atlas Orion Anamorphic lenses PL Mount 32, 40, 65,100
    Red Komodo ST Available Now
    Red Epic-W 8k Helium - Red Epic-x Dragon 6K - Scarlet-W 5K - Ursa Mini Pro - FS7 - A7S - Alexa Mini
    Zeiss CP.2 Kit - Cooke 18-100 T3 - DZO 20-50, 55-125 coming soon

Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Eventually I think I'll move to a dual processor setup with the new Xeons. I'm hoping that will provide more PCIE lanes for all the cards and Thunderbolt. We'll see.

In the meantime, late last night/early this morning I was able to install a new motherboard. I went with the Asus Maximus V Extreme. It has one Thunderbolt port and 5 PCIE 3.0 x16 slots plus a PCIEx4 slot. The awesome thing about it is that it allows you to run cards at high bandwidth. I'm currently running it at x8/x16/x8/x8/x4. So my Titan is in the x16 slot running at x16 and my Red Rocket, H680, and Decklink are all in x16 slots running at x8. And I have another card in the x4 slot. And all cards are working as far as I can tell. I didn't have time to do any real testing before having to leave for set, but the Rocket shows up in RCXP, the Decklink card shows up in the Preferences pane, the H680 mounts drives, and the Titan works. I haven't tried the Thunderbolt port yet, but even if it doesn't work it's still the only i7 motherboard I could find that would give me an x16 slot running at x16 and three slots running at x8. Pretty impressive actually. The only issues I'm coming across so far are the USB 3.0 ports not working (kernel panics when something is connected to them), my slim BD burner keeps ejecting during startup, and the built-in wifi card isn't working. I'm sure I'll be able to get those working.

So it does appear to be a limitation with that other motherboard.