Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Compact 1080p EFP cam

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    EFP = Electronic Field Production
    ENG = Electronic News Gathering

There's so much to know, we're all learning something here.

ENG = "Local news" kinda video production.
    EFP = Anything other than local news that shoots in video. Especially when you use more lights than say, a SunGun, or what's in the station's crummy Lowel kit. "EFP" usually implies a higher level of production (more equipment, time, and stuff).
    ralph oshiro
    RED411.NET

The acronyms stand for Electronic Field Production and Electronic News Gathering. Wikipedia has okay (but limited) definitions of both.

Hi Omen

There is a camera "almost" like that the Silicon Imaging camera only does 2K they make a kinda Cine camera but the thing it contains inside and sold seperately, an almost lipstick camera. At this point it takes a bunch of computer gunk n wires, to make it work but the idea of a very small POV type camera is very good.

I think it would make a great companion camera to RED! I've seen advertisements, already selling the little egg sized HD POVs that do 1080max.

Going to the RED, small mountable cameras are something I'll really miss. I've used them for everything from underwater on a stick, from a boat cams, to mounting one on a Kayak blade for an Olympic promo piece. Recently we mounted one to the skin of a 747 Jet.

All wonderful shots that we can't get at this new higher resolution???

What I'd like is a: Red sensor in a smaller box, using rugged weather proof cable, remote the electronics to the standard RED body?
    TJ
    www.camera-person.com

TJ Williams
    Seattle WA USA
    206 769 8585
    RED1, 4K Sony HD (HDCam) Panasonic HD
    Operator Dp, Videographer
    Steadicam Camera Crane Aerial mount
    www.camera-person.com

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #15 Usin RED in EBG / EFP 
    As we've discussed before, although RED ONE could operate in either ENG or EFP applications, it really better suited to the latter, as the former is pretty well serviced by standard definition camcorders. There's a lot of crossover though - plenty of HD being shot for inserts into "news" style programs. Main point is - as an out and out ENG camera RED ONE is probably overkill - although I'd be delighted to be proven wrong in that assumption. As a single camera that can address Digital Cinema, EFP and ENG though, I think its unmatched. Which is a great point when you have to budget for one camera but need to service all three of these markets.
    Workflow Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart English View Post
    Main point is - as an out and out ENG camera RED ONE is probably overkill
    That's exactly why some of think that it would be useful to have a "mini RED" in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart English View Post
    As a single camera that can address Digital Cinema, EFP and ENG though, I think its unmatched. Which is a great point when you have to budget for one camera but need to service all three of these markets.
    Ooh yeah.

Red will be the first legitimate 1080x60p camera on the market. With dual SDI out, how much you want to bet 'The Tonight Show' would take a look? Windowed or not. The market for live shows in extreme high quality video is very large and waiting for the next big thing. Even converted to 1080i for final delivery, it will look better than 1080i sourced.
    Besides Craig Furgeson is desparetly in need of upgrading the look of his show. hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    Red will be the first legitimate 1080x60p camera on the market. With dual SDI out...
    The Sony HDC1000 and HDC1500 have been out for a couple of years, are widely used in video production trucks, studios, news organizations, etc., and already have 1080 60P and dual link HD SDI, variable frame rates, etc. We have been shooting 1080 60P for a year, and people were certainly doing it long before we were. We will shoot our RED cameras 4K with 35mm Cine lenses to move up to the next level in quality. And no, we do not need or want or even tolerate standard def

Cool Mike, I didn't know that. But Sonys' own literature seems to indicate only 1080x60i gets sent out the sdi cable. The highest progressive signal to get sent over the wire is 1080x25p.

You can get the brochure and ops manual for the HDC1500 here, but I am not sure it is up to date with latest software. See http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...1500l444.shtml

The camera body has two HDSDI which you can set to Dual link mode. You need to have the SRW1 deck (HDCAM SR) with cache board to really get the best out of the camera (variable frame rates and such) but it easily does 1080 30P 4:4:4 and 1080 60P 4:2:2. That is the limit of SMPTE dual link HDSDI. Obviously more expensive than RED, but beautiful images. I look forward to comparing the image quality with RED when we receive #612, if not earlier.