Thread: Shoot Realistic 3D content with single RED Epic camera

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    22
    Is there reason why there is no footage because no one has bought this yet to try it? Seems quite revolutionary if it works ;)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Senior Member Andrey B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rissian Federation
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    So if this is single camera, are you recording two images side-by-side on the same sensor, thus splitting the resolution in half?
    I think this is not a problem at all. Basically in the cinema theatres we can spot only 2k versions of the 3d films. This is because we have limits of the dcp codec (150MB/s max?). And when we use 2 pictures simultaneously - one for one eye and one for another, we can even didn't notice the lack of resolution. When I look at the 3d-picture in special magazines than I noticed that 2 pictures when combines into one looks more sharp and crisp more colorful and even shiny! :)
    Blackmagic Production 4K Camera.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/reklama4demo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Senior Member paulherrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    Posts
    3,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbs-ent View Post
    Is there reason why there is no footage because no one has bought this yet to try it? Seems quite revolutionary if it works ;)
    yep... would like to try one out or have somebody really test its limitations, i'm willing to do it and willing to pay for it, but not before i know it can deliver professional results by either getting my hands or somebody else's on it with a red camera.
    Scarlet-X #970 "Silver"
    paulherrin.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulherrin View Post
    yep... would like to try one out or have somebody really test its limitations, i'm willing to do it and willing to pay for it, but not before i know it can deliver professional results by either getting my hands or somebody else's on it with a red camera.
    Trust me, the real/ bigger 3d rigs are there for a reason.

    Edit: should be many reasons... Yes you can shoot 3D content with the above but you are quite limited.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Senior Member paulherrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    Posts
    3,559
    yeah i guess you're right... limited lens choice, plus it effectively gets doubled in the crop... so everything is 50mm. and you can't do anything other than adjust convergence. but it is tempting to not have to buy 2 of everything.

    i really would like to do some high framerate 3d work, loved it in many of the hobbit sequences. but i think 4k+ and 3d and high-framerate is where it's at. so i'm gonna have to work up to that level... such is life
    Scarlet-X #970 "Silver"
    paulherrin.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulherrin View Post
    yeah i guess you're right... limited lens choice, plus it effectively gets doubled in the crop... so everything is 50mm. and you can't do anything other than adjust convergence. but it is tempting to not have to buy 2 of everything.

    i really would like to do some high framerate 3d work, loved it in many of the hobbit sequences. but i think 4k+ and 3d and high-framerate is where it's at. so i'm gonna have to work up to that level... such is life
    I built this back in the days:http://canon7d.free.fr/blog/public/i...7dstereo_m.jpg

    Borrow a friends epic and gaffer together with yours with some low cost EF lenses... A few days of that and you can move on, the urge to shoot 3D passes by quite quickly :)

    I would say two 24 mm lenses and epic SSD pushed up towards the side of the other cam would work fine from about 2 meters distance to infinity... a tight rubber band around the two lenses and you got synced focus as well. Then it's just to align interest pout in post, possibly you can add some gaffer tape or such in-between the cameras to give them some toe in. We shot quite a bit like that, and most shots does not demand the big rigs advanced focus systems etc, epics and sync cable goes a long way. fiddling with Stereo I find it to be the coolest to shoot big vistas from a cliff or such with cameras really wide apart It really makes a mix if small and big in the head, the next step to that would be to introduce two tilt shift lenses... really want two FD tilt shifts now when I think of it.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Senior Member paulherrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    Posts
    3,559
    hehe, sweet... i'm thinking 2 tokina 11-16's synced up side-by-side would be cool and not too bad to post. really wanting to make some stuff for the oculus rift (:
    Scarlet-X #970 "Silver"
    paulherrin.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    2
    I made a custom 3D rig but without real time 3D preview, I'll use to record for the Red Hydrogen One. I'm very interested on your custom rig, can you share details of what you did?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts