Thread: PCHOOD CINEMATICS

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 PCHOOD CINEMATICS 
    Hello, just wondering if anyone has tried or purchased any of the customized lenses from pchood?

http://www.pchood.com/电影镜头?page=1

thanks!

These pop up here every once in a while. You may find this of interest: http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2...zed-film-lens/

I ordered one to test out. Nicely machined, but completely unusable. the whole housing attaches to the focus barrel, so the front of the housing rotates when you focus.
    Sent it back and asked for a refund 2 months ago. They claimed they never got it and won't refund the money. Classy operation that one...
    Daniel Stilling, DFF (Danish Society of Cinematographers)
    Director Of Photography
    www.danieldp.com

I appreciate the replies and thanks for the link. Think it's better to stay away.

There has been an interesting development here. I purchased a relatively inexpensive rehoused Canon 50mm f/1.4 from these guys a couple months ago. I think I paid about $650, including shipping, whereas the standard lens by itself is about $400. I wanted to see for myself what the housing was really like so I figured buying a cheap 50mm (which isn't a bad lens anyway) was a good way to experiment without breaking the bank. But, just like other folks here, I determined that it was pretty weak insofar as the entire outer housing turned when you focused it; marginal under most circumstances but certainly completely unusable with my clip-on matte box.

Well, when I started emailing them with my observations and concerns they were very good about corresponding and within a few days revealed to me that they were working on a design with proper mechanics, where only the focus ring would turn while the rest of the outer housing would remain still. They also promised to send me this new housing when it was available.

To be honest, I thought maybe they were just sort of putting me off so I wouldn't ask for a refund - which I really didn't want to do anyway because the shipping back to China would have been $80 or so and at least I had a workable $400 lens. So, I kept in touch with them periodically and, somewhat to my surprise, the new housing arrived today. As there were no instructions, it did take a couple of hours and some trial and error to get it installed correctly, but I did it and I am actually quite impressed. When I get a few minutes, I'll try to post pictures and some more info. The real question I have to ask myself is whether buying perhaps a Zeiss ZE f/1.4 for $1200 is a reasonably competitive alternative to a CP.2. Or maybe rehousing some Canon L lenses this way.

BTW - no, the rehousing discussed here is not a rebuild and, thus, the underlying lens isn't de-clicked - or in the case of the Canon, of course does not even have a manual aperture. Just thought I'd make that clear.

Very interesting Terry, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more from you on this, I don't think I'm alone in that either.

OK - here are pics of the new housing...

The key difference from the old housing is that the whole outer housing was one piece and turned with the focus ring. Now it works as expected.

This is a standard Canon 50mm F/1.4 so it has no manual aperture ring. Can still be switched to AF if desired.

Workmanship, IMO, is excellent. Materials are solid.
    Attached Images

Have anyone tried their canon 24-70?
    2.jpg

I been really wanting to do something like this for a long long time
    Dp Reel
    http://www.joncarrdp.com
    Camera & Lighting Rentals in NYC
    http://www.visualcinema.com/rentals/cameras/
    Instagram
    http://instagram.com/joncarrdp
    Carbon Fiber WEAPON Helium #651 "MISTRESS"
    DJI Ronin 2 “R2D2”
    Schneider Xenon FF primes PL

It's REDcode or no code...

If you order, make sure you get assurance from them that you are getting the new configuration. AFAIK, I got mine right after they approved their prototype so be clear with them about your expectations.

FWIW - the gentleman there that was especially helpful to me was Leon.

Good luck.