Thread: LOOOONG LENSES! CANON

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 LOOOONG LENSES! CANON 
    Hey Everyone!

Looking to upgrade my lenses. Right now, I have the Tamron 70-300 IS which sucks because the IS doesn't work on my SCARLET.. Only the Canon does, Canon 18-135 IS, Canon 50 1.8, Tamron 90 macro 2.8, and Tamron 10-24 3.5, 5.6 I also have the 21,50,85 mm CP.2's that I will want to keep.

So here's the deal, I was thinking of selling all of these lenses (except the Zeiss's) and put the money towards only 2 nice L series lenses. I film wildlife so I need to have as few lens changes as possible. I was thinking of getting the Canon 24-70 L series and the Canon 100-400 push and pull IS L series. I am huge on sharpness and this is one of my main reasons of getting the new lenses. Does anyone have experience shooting with the 100-400? Is it sharp at 400? also, I know the 24-70 is very popular and I like the Macro capability but is there any Canon lens better for cheaper? Also how does the sharpness compare with the 18-135? I notice mine is just not sharp. It's annoying that i feel I have to add sharpness in Resolve. I shouldn't have to do that with a RED. I need a full range from wide to 400. I know some people don't like the push pull on the 100-400 for video but frankly, I stay away from the PBS nature show zoom-ins ;) COOORNY! Any better suggestions from where I came up with?

I Also just saw the SIGMA 50-500mm...

The Contax 100-300 is insanely sharp and awesome. It's push pull though, and a little slow. But looks AMAZING. Has low-dispersion glass. And fully manual (great focus throw).

Senior Member Alonzo Von Threet's Avatar
    I got a discontinued 24-70mm Canon at much less the cost of the model from B&H Photo. I don't know if they have anymore tho. I also bought a PLMount BT from RED not long ago. So eventhough I got a Canon and a Zeiss recently, the battle tested is my favorite. Only thing is I can't use it on my Pilot.

When it comes to long lenses, I don't think the canon 100-400 or the sigma 50-500 are that sharp. Especially not if you need to shoot wide open. Have used both for still lenses, but still cameras add sharpening in camera. RED doesn't. I understand the budget side of that equation, but budget glass is going to get you budget sharpness. Try out a Canon 400 2.8 and you'll understand what a true sharp lens looks like.

As far as other lens options, Sigma's new 120-300 f/2.8 is pretty damn good. Its around $4K i think, but that's still less than the Canon 300 2.8 prime. Doesn't compare with the long canon primes, but it is sharper than any other similar zoom, and most of those other lenses you are talking about are f/5.6 at the long end. I just rented and used it on a shoot as a compliment to my Sigmonster 300-800mm. I don't think the IS works on the Epic, but for a long lens, I'd hope you were using a Tripod anyway.

Do you really need to OWN these long lenses? with all the great online lens rental options, you can rent the big lenses for decent prices. If this long lens is something you need every day, then spend big and get the right lens. If not, then just rent when you need them.
    Skip Hobbie
    Austin, TX

Epic Owner / Operator
    Wildlife Cinematographer / Documentary Filmmaker

www.skipswildlife.com
    www.skiphobbieproductions.com

The Canon 100-400 is one of those lenses that can vary a lot between copies in image quality. The Canon 400mm f/5.6 prime is probably the best option for pixel-peepers in that price range. The Sigma 120-300 is definitely worth a look if you want to spend a bit more - I've been working with the second generation one (the pre-Sport OS model) and have been very pleased with it. It works very well with both 1.4X and 2X teleconverters if you close down a stop.

Does anyone know if the OS of the Sigma 50-500 works on the Epic ?
    -Les Dittert

I love my canon 70-200 2.8. Sharp as a tack.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Dittert View Post
    Does anyone know if the OS of the Sigma 50-500 works on the Epic ?
    I dont know but I do have quite a few Sigma lenses, and about 1/3 of them have issues like IS/aperture doesnt work or aperture has bugs etc. They all work fine on all the non-RED cameras I've tried though.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

I guess I'll visit my local camera shop and have a look see. I'm also looking at the Canon 100-400 f4. The Canon looks sharper at 400mm than the Sigma at 500, which means the the Canon image sized up to be the same zoom at the Sigma may still be sharper than the Sigma. But the Sigma offers the 'emergency option' of getting a wide shot without fumbling a lens change in the back of a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
    I dont know but I do have quite a few Sigma lenses, and about 1/3 of them have issues like IS/aperture doesnt work or aperture has bugs etc. They all work fine on all the non-RED cameras I've tried though.
    -Les Dittert