Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Dragon misconceptions and clarification...

Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    There may not literally be a lowcon filter, but the EFFECT of this filter stack seems (to many) to perform SIMILARLY to a lowcon.

The blooming on Alexa is certainly well known.
    The OLPF could easily contain low-con characteristics. To some perhaps imperceptible degree, all glass does, as no glass is 100% transparent - it's 99.9999% or whatever. All they have to do is introduce a small amount of "imperfection" to the clarity of the OLPF glass and there you go - instant lowcon filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    There may not literally be a lowcon filter, but the EFFECT of this filter stack seems (to many) to perform SIMILARLY to a lowcon.

The blooming on Alexa is certainly well known.
    Images certainly look very nice, respect to Arri on this, I just want to know has it as Low Con fitted or not. if not what is it causing the effect.

I am certainly in no position to know if an Alexa has a lowcon or an OPLF that acts a little like a low con but I would bet money there is an Alexa sitting around Red somewhere in its component pieces. If Jim says there is a low con like filter in the Alexa I would suspect he knows. I would also guess somewhere at Arri in Munich a disassembled Epic is sitting in a box in the back room. If people are so interested in a low con Arri look please stick a Low Con filter on your Epic and tell us what you think.
    Tom Gleeson

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    I am certainly in no position to know if an Alexa has a lowcon or an OPLF that acts a little like a low con but I would bet money there is an Alexa sitting around Red somewhere in its component pieces. If Jim says there is a low con like filter in the Alexa I would suspect he knows. I would also guess somewhere at Arri in Munich a disassembled Epic is sitting in a box in the back room. If people are so interested in a low con Arri look please stick a Low Con filter on your Epic and tell us what you think.
    I suspect your right. Id just like to know more about how cameras are set up. Im awaiting Evin's Diffusion filter tests and then running a few test ourselves. For my money the filtration I want is that that I choose to add when and where i want it, not having something that I cant be rid of when I don't want it in the optical chain. We are not expert in filtration yet but intend to be one day.

when testing a 1/4 black promist was quite cool
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

Quote Originally Posted by Neal_Norton View Post
    The Arri Alexa does not have a lo-con in front of the sensor. There is a filter pack in front of the sensor with a protective
    cover glass, IR filter, UV filter and an optical low pass filter.

This from Mark Shipman-Muller of Arri.
    I think that OLPF bit at the end is the most relevant bit. It might not be a "LowCon" filter but an OLPF is a weak diffuser. Technically old lenses don't have a "low con" filter in them... but they soften the image slightly. I remember in the original Zacuto test the Alexa footage definitely had slightly more halation around hot spots.

would the low con internal element be something we could send our epic mx cameras in to have done?

very interested in this
    Zakaree Sandberg
    Zakaree@Gmail.com
    Cinematographer / Local 600
    www.Zakaree.com

Im interested to know more about filtration behind lens and in front of lens. Pros cons etc. Jacek mentioned he has an option on his Optitek mount to fit an behind lens. If this could be an option then it be up for it. I am not so sure lenses with a long snout on the back will work with this arrangement though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    Ketch, so you use a polarizer no matter what? I find it can have a dulling effect on skin sometimes. Thoughts?
    A polarizer can have all kinds of effects on skin and skin color. You have to be mindful of what you want. I don't suggest "always on".

10. #290 The sun sets in the West. 
    Jim,
    I congratulate you! "42" was what I wanted to see "WILT" become. There's always a spot open for you on that! As for your stepping down - enjoy your time time... You've worked tirelessly and you deserve it!!
    Hope you do read this at some point in the future and stay in touch.

Best, Ian.
    AKA - filmbug