Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Dragon Skin...

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post
    The Dragon footage looks BETTER than 35mm film, and I'm sure if you ran it through a post process
    like Film Convert you could make it look like film.
    We have seen a total of less than 10 minutes of footage from this new sensor none of which has been professionally lit or graded. Statements like these are why people disqualify this forum and its members as fanboys and amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeburton View Post
    We have seen a total of less than 10 minutes of footage from this new sensor none of which has been professionally lit or graded. Statements like these are why people disqualify this forum and its members as fanboys and amateurs.
    Are you suggesting that it would look worse if it were lit and graded as you describe? If not, I don't understand what you are getting at. The guy seems to think that without a high end treatment the thing performs. That is his assessment, early though it is. If people choose to characterize all the users here based on the remarks of a few... Then I know how much weight to give those opinions.
    Last edited by Scott Crawley; 08-19-2013 at 12:07 AM.

It is cool that you guys take the time and share.

Much appreachiated Evin!
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #94  
    Mike... I understand what you are saying, but consider this.

Many directors and DPs already consider EPIC MX to be a better choice than film. Some of the biggest budget movies (we have called them out way too many times) have no budget limitations for the cameras they choose and have chosen EPIC. Don Burgess (Forrest Gump) is incredibly proud of his period piece (42) shot on RED. Actually... he was a film guy yet has shot his last 6 features on RED. If you assume that the Dragon is 40% more resolution, 3+ stops of DR and 16 bit color depth... it is probably not a stretch why some anticipate Dragon to be really good.

You opinion is valid. But also accept that many believe RED footage already passed film all things considered.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mikeburton View Post
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Thanks for taking the time to do all this and for sharing it for all of us to see.

It will be interesting to see how far every one will take it.

Can you post it on youtube in 4K ?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post
    Perhaps true (not that I think so), but just image what 35mm film at 4000 ISO would
    look like.

:)
    A better comparison would be to an f55 or a c500 rather than film.

Looking great, thanks for sharing Evan.

Peter, Will you be sharing some of what you shot? Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    Evan,

I really appreciate you posting all of this and the time it took. I just shot 36 hours on Dragon and sadly just handed Jarred back his camera. I was mainly interested in skin tones ( happy results) and also to see about the DR. I am impressed by the smoothness of the range of the new sensor. People will really notice how flipping the histogram from RG3 to Raw doesn't show a dramatic change. It is now much harder to make those goalposts light up.

I have yet to process the 9 setups I did through RCX. But I think people will be pleased..... Thanks again for your efforts and time giving back to this forum
    Local 600 DIT

Senior Member Jochen Schmidt-Hambrock's Avatar
    Thank you very much, Evin.
    --------------------------
    www.jochenschmidt.de
    http://imdb.com/name/nm0773276/
    twitter: josch11

Saying this does look better then film is a bit silly at this point. Wait until someone does a side-by-side with film and see what the results are.