Thread: Dynatran 9903- $900 Tripod Review###

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Dynatran 9903- $900 Tripod Review### 
    Keep in mind that I already own a Sachtler 30 II with Ransford legs. If you have a good sized crew than the 18 Lbs head and the 15 Lbs legs wont bother you. For my personal use- when I was by myself the weight would wear on me quickly.

The 9903 is light weight. The entire thing can't weigh much more than 10 Lbs.

1. It doesn't have a counter balance. If you tilt up or down more than 45 degrees and let it go, it will continue to sink in that direction. The sachtler I can set the counter balance to come back up to a neutral position. Salution, Lock the 9903 before letting it go and walking away from it.

2. It handles the weight very well. I panned and tilted very smoothly with no resistance set. I cant set it to a 1 resistance give it a spin and watch it rotate five times like the sachtler, nor when I increase the resistance the 9903 gets a little bumpy. As long as the resistance is open it pans and tilts very smoothly, I was happy with that.

3. I extended the tripod before mounting the head, and practically hung all 210 Lbs of my self on it- no give. I was pleased with that. I also felt comfortable leaving the camera un-attended on the tripod after locking it. I wouldn't recommend getting this solution if you want to rent it out, but for convenience and personal use- I would have no problem using it for locked off shots, or smooth pans-

Please feel free to ask any other questions or of any details I may have left out.

Vladimir Eugene

Nice review...got photos?

Banned
    This is great news vladimir. Thanks!

Thanks guys. I will post some photos by tomorrow

Vladimir Eugene your posts are generally well received. But tracking down solid product information generally is difficult. :)

Ok if we're going with cheapo Tripod's what about the Smith-Victor Propod V and Pro V 2-way fluid head?

It costs $200 (Yes that's not a mispelling it does say $200) from BHvideo and can hold upto 25lbs apparently (And yes that's also not a mispelling)!

Might buy one just for emergencies :)!

Paul

E N T S W O O D Ltd
    Camera Kit Rental - Epic, Alexa, Master Primes, Ultra Primes, Aluras, Cooke Panchro SII/SIII, Grip, Monitoring etc
    Paul Clements - DIT Red Camera (Digital Imaging Technician
    )
    London - Manchester
    +44 (0)7786 444333

www.entswood.co.uk
    paulclementscx@gmail.com

Is the Dynatran AT-9903 tripod sold by Amvona? Is this a photo of it?
    http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr...8_5811crx.aspx

It certainly seems to be a "stealth" product. It's hard to find any info on it, and no one seems to admit to selling it.

I bought my wife, a photographer, one of the Dynatran still tripods that have carbon fiber legs. It's not a totally terrible tripod, but it's not that great either. The plastic that goes over the light tighteners slips on the metal and so it often times won't tighten or loosen properly.

Pretty much all their stuff is Chinese knockoffs of well know brands--but they don't do a very good job in understanding what made the original product so good.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by PaulClements View Post
    Ok if we're going with cheapo Tripod's what about the Smith-Victor Propod V and Pro V 2-way fluid head?

It costs $200 (Yes that's not a mispelling it does say $200) from BHvideo and can hold upto 25lbs apparently (And yes that's also not a mispelling)!

Might buy one just for emergencies :)!

Paul
    I have one of those. 25lbs is a stretch but definitely 15-17lbs or so. Not the same controls as the big boys but functional and light. CAN pull a decent pan with a little practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeale View Post
    Is the Dynatran AT-9903 tripod sold by Amvona? Is this a photo of it?
    http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr...8_5811crx.aspx

It certainly seems to be a "stealth" product. It's hard to find any info on it, and no one seems to admit to selling it.
    That is the one. I purchased it from Amvona. http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/sub...0fdce307195cf5

Vladimir