Compression choices of 18:1 to 3:1
    12 and 16-bit RAW : Compression choices of 18:1 to 3:1
    1-100 fps 6K
    1-120 fps 5K, 4.5K 

1-150 fps 4K

1-200 fps 3K 

1-300 fps 2K
    Not sure how you guys are reading it?

Ketch can you please do that test for Epic as well? What program do you use in post to slow it down, twixtor?
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSi View Post
    Remember that is not just how many frames per second can it shoot, but how will it hold up on a 4K scan, or upscale, and that is why I prefer to shoot as high rez as possible given maximum frame rates allowed with less compression as possible, and then slow it down in post, but while the naked eye can not see much a of a difference on HD, I ned and ail test it with 4K finish to make final decision on how to go about it when need asks for it.

At the end is also extremely important how the files handle Post work, and nothing less the RAW will do the job well in my experience, additionally not every Raw files handles Post in the same way, were I have found that the RED RAW files do handle extremely well, even under heavy Post work.
    That works... as long as it works. Basically all those motion estimate timewarp tools will compute to a sertain level, it could actually be hairs crossing in the frame and such that just do not do well with such treatment... and there will be shots that works just fine. The thing is that is really hard to judge what will work and what will not. So for that reason I would never promise a client that the it actually will work...

but I agree when things do not move much in frame and such then it's much nicer to shoot a 5k pass and then use cinespeed or such. But I would allways shoot at the wanted speed / lower res for backup. Just to have when shit fails to compute.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Merlen View Post
    Ketch can you please do that test for Epic as well? What program do you use in post to slow it down, twixtor?

Cinespeed or Twixtor, but will not be able to do it on Epic MX, only Epic Dragon at 6k, as that is what interests me for my next series of projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    That works... as long as it works. Basically all those motion estimate timewarp tools will compute to a sertain level, it could actually be hairs crossing in the frame and such that just do not do well with such treatment... and there will be shots that works just fine. The thing is that is really hard to judge what will work and what will not. So for that reason I would never promise a client that the it actually will work...

but I agree when things do not move much in frame and such then it's much nicer to shoot a 5k pass and then use cinespeed or such. But I would allways shoot at the wanted speed / lower res for backup. Just to have when shit fails to compute.

Indeed Björn, and that is why I do always also shoot at the highest closest speed possible, and in fact most times while testing we'll do that at various resolution and various speeds, as to give Post the best chance to figure things out, once we know what works and what doesn't, then it can be replicated to those type of shoots, IE, Girl moving her hair fast, Dress, clothes type moving in the wind, cars spinning wheels, galloping Horses and so on.

But this will be a comprehensive test that we'll do in time in a proper set up as to insure the fidelity of each test, and have data that can reproduce results with good consistency.
    F I L M M A K E R

AFRODITE FILMS

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSi View Post
    Cinespeed or Twixtor, but will not be able to do it on Epic MX, only Epic Dragon at 6k, as that is what interests me for my next series of projects.
    Sorry to hijack the thread but what is Cinespeed? Can't find anything about it on Google...
    DSMC2 Monstro & Helium packages ready to shoot
    Gates Pro Action DSMC2 Water Housing
    SPL DSMC2 Custom Water Housings
    L/K-rtel
    Capbreton, France
    Instagram, Twitter and Vimeo