Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Dragon Upgrades ...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 Dragon Upgrades ... 
    Dragon Upgrades have begun. The first handful of Dragons have shipped to customers, coincidentally almost 6 years to the day after the we shipped the first RED ONE in 2007.

Michael Bay , David Fincher, and John Marchant being the first 3 to receive their Dragons.

Things will be going pretty slow for the next month, as we are working through a low sensor yield right now, and that won't change until the end of September.

Cameras will be rolling out in small numbers until then.

Oh boy..here we go. Dragon sequence initiated.
    Chris McKechnie
    Director of Photography
    Email - redepicguy@gmail.com
    Reel - https://vimeo.com/200931733
    web: http://digitalcinemaguy.com

AWESOME !!! Congrats to everyone at RED. Looking forward to the call.....
    Clark Dunbar
    MammothHD
    www.mammothhd.com/RED/
    RED Collective#6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhH...GP0APcPGVxh-fg
    MammothHD 2015 Showreel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxVhhNUwqac
    Clark Dunbar Showreel - 2015 = https://vimeo.com/137072528
    MammothHD Facebook Page = http://www.mammothhd.com/Facebook/

First up, I have not yet finished saying thank you to Jarred. It may go on a while and get embarrassing ;) My name doesn't fit next to those two… but whose does?

Dragon is exceptionally good. I know we all have high expectations… but even so.

A few little anecdotes… bearing in mind its been in our hands a very brief period so far.

First thing I did with it was a setup I knew the MX struggled a little with. Its a headshot under tungsten using bounced light from a couple of little 650w arri's. I like the setup for its look, convenience and simplicity, but it usually gives us noisy blues and grainy black at ISO800, so we're limited on T-stops a bit.

Dragon ate it up - it was really clean, had clearly superior skin tone... all the things I wanted.

The big shocker for day exteriors was the free gaffer, lighting truck, silks etc that comes magically inside the camera. Hard light and shade is just not an issue, its just how we see it in person. Perhaps better, as in some cases I could feel my own eyes adjust a little looking between light and shade where the Dragon had me covered.

We tried to break the image first chance we got of course… We shot our model friend walking a semi circle round camera from hard front-lit to silhouetted against the sun. It held the same f-stop, with a perfectly useable picture right the way around. Incredible.

We took a shot from inside our dark studio into the midday sun in our parking area - white and silver cars, bright skies... I could still grade to retrieve detail on our black furniture and walls, inside in the shade.

And skintone... Just exactly as your eye sees it.

Oh and then the compression. I was a sceptic… I'm pretty aware of the limits with Redcode on R1 and Epic and I'm kinda sensitive to it personally. We shot a mega-detail image at 6k 17:1 and really didn't have much to complain about.

I could, and will, go on and on. There's a lot to say. The overall feel is that it just sees what I see. Maybe more. Brilliant stuff :)
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Weapon CF 6k | Epic Dragon | Epic Dragon Monochrome
    Check out our showreel , our OLPF products, or talk to us @kippertieltd

NIce, Can't wait to get mine
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

Awesome, and congratulations.

Jarred I know you probably won't want to make any promises, but for those of us who pre-ordered during that first wave, do you think our cameras will make it through the pipeline by early october?

Thanks regardless!
    Isaac Marchionna
    DART Design
    DRAGON-X 03914

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Marchionna View Post
    Awesome, and congratulations.

Jarred I know you probably won't want to make any promises, but for those of us who pre-ordered during that first wave, do you think our cameras will make it through the pipeline by early october?

Thanks regardless!
    Hey Isaac, Sensor yields are historically unpredictable so it all depends on how it goes. We have been getting sensor batches for awhile now though so the engineers have a pretty good handle on the process, so cross your fingers :)

Great News!
    Mike McEntire
    Mack Dawg Productions
    Since 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Hey Isaac, Sensor yields are historically unpredictable so it all depends on how it goes. We have been getting sensor batches for awhile now though so the engineers have a pretty good handle on the process, so cross your fingers :)
    Having been on the product design side of the house, yep I know how it goes. Very hopeful it's soon. Fingers crossed. Can't...cross...any...harder!

Thanks Jarred, great way to end the weekend. Congrats to the entire team!
    Isaac Marchionna
    DART Design
    DRAGON-X 03914

Historic day!

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram