Thread: FCPX, on set post, and studio level workflows

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 FCPX, on set post, and studio level workflows 
    Hey Guys,

There is some groundbreaking stuff in post happening these days... The age of dailies being a requirement that is necessary to begin editorial is coming to a close. On the latest installation that I'm currently doing for a $100 million dollar feature, using a combination of FCPX and Sync n Link X, we are able to get, for a multicamera EPIC shoot, 5k synced R3D's fully renamed according to scene, take, and camera angle off the cameras and ready to be edited in FCPX within 10 minutes of being downloaded... and you can do this from your laptop.

Forget on set looks... those are easy. Start thinking on set rough cuts. And start thinking fully prepped Events that get sent back to editorial with no trip to the lab.

Additionally, Intelligent Assistance has just released two new tools that fill in some major complaints people have had about FCPX in high level workflows.

Change List X solves the Change List Problem and you can now easily reconform in Pro Tools using FCPX.

Producer's Best Friend is, well, awesome, and allows you to distribute comprehensive .xls reports for your timelines and events... the uses for this are endless.

Both are available now on the App Store.

Additionally, we are using a PCI-E based ExaSAN system for group workflow in FCPX that allows for speeds up to 4800 MB/s and is configurable for up to around 750 TB of storage, and currently is allowing 2 streams of real time 5k EPIC playback across multiple machines playing back the same clip, from the same event, from the same project, at the same time. It's also less than half the price (and more than twice the speed) of a traditional Fiber Channel SAN system.

We are running circles around the Avid Unity.

And don't even get me started on metadata and what you're able to with that... we've come up with a system to make every single line of dialogue in a movie, and all commonly used script notes codes, easily searchable from the Event Browser. All it takes is a little planning, and a little communication ahead of time with your script supervisor.

At this point, I'm ready to take the Pepsi challenge against any high level NLE workflow out there... when it comes to price, performance, and ease of use... there really is no comparison, and this can be used on the highest levels of production. I am currently doing it.

And it will only get better.

Think I'm lying? Happy to show you a demo of all of this as soon as I'm back in the country (in a couple weeks). Come down to Lumaforge on The Lot in Hollywood, and I'll show you how it all works.
    Sam Mestman
    Workflow Architect - FCPWORKS
    CEO/Founder - We Make Movies
    www.fcpworks.com
    www.wemakemovies.org

Go, Sam, go!

Tremendous.

Cheers - #19

Hi Sam,

I recently changed to FCPX and am loving it.

Excuse my ignorance but do you do about sound tracks out to be sweetened without OMF?

Best
    Robert Castiglione
    robcastiglione.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Castiglione View Post
    Hi Sam,

I recently changed to FCPX and am loving it.

Excuse my ignorance but do you do about sound tracks out to be sweetened without OMF?

Best
    Hey Rob,

You just need to get X2Pro, and you can easily get into Protools via AAF. There's two flavors of it... X2Pro LE is about $60 and will work just fine for most projects. The full version is about $150 and basically just gives you some more control over your roles, and whether you want to use embedded or referenced audio in your AAF's. It's really easy to use, and is very stable and accurate, though. You can get both versions from the App Store.
    Sam Mestman
    www.fcpworks.com
    www.wemakemovies.org

Hi Sam,

sounds great. Maybe think, for us Europeans, having this kind of demo recorded or something, like your webinar?
    Maybe it's a bit more difficult, but just putting the thought out there.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
    Hi Sam,

sounds great. Maybe think, for us Europeans, having this kind of demo recorded or something, like your webinar?
    Maybe it's a bit more difficult, but just putting the thought out there.

Thanks,
    That will definitely be happening at some point. At the very least, there's going to be a workflow document... I just need to find the time to do it. I'm hoping Late this month or next.
    Sam Mestman
    www.fcpworks.com
    www.wemakemovies.org

I second the idea of a video seminar. I suspect it'd be quite popular.
    Mark D Allen - director
    www.markdallen.com
    www.allucinari.com
    www.markallen.net
    RED EPIC #89

As soon as you get past the mental re-programming required and go FCPX with RAW R3D files - you won't go back to Avid or Premiere. And as soon as FCPX supports REDs GPU debayer it's really gonna rock hardcore.
    Mark L. Pederson

Hi Sam.
    Always interesting to follow your work. I re-posted this over at Macrumors in a thread to show the naysayers. Hope that's ok with you.