Thread: SCRATCH Play Forum

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 SCRATCH Play Forum 
    Hello all,

As we progress with SCRATCH Play, we have created a new forum dedicated to that product. REDUSER is an awesome community... for RED stuff! Anybody with a SCRATCH Play question related to RED is obviously encouraged to post here. But hijacking another forum for your product other then a few brief posts isn't cool. ; )

Anybody who is reading the ASSIMILATE section on Reduser is highly encouraged to join the SCRATCH Play group! A lot of the people that will be joining could really use your knowledge and experience. And who knows - you might learn something too. : )

To subscribe, please visit http://groups.google.com/group/scratch-play

Best,

Lucas

I am wondering Lucas.
    Are you back at Assimilate? I haven't seen any kind of an announcement on this subject. If you are back at Assimilate, it would be good to know, that you're working for the company.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    I am wondering Lucas.
    Are you back at Assimilate? I haven't seen any kind of an announcement on this subject. If you are back at Assimilate, it would be good to know, that you're working for the company.
    What he said. You moonlighting or what?
    Mark L. Pederson

Was wondering the same?

Hey guys,

The short answer is "yes." The longer answer is that there are two parts of my brain. One part is very focused on my role at ASSIMILATE. I have been working quietly on the SCRATCH Play initiative for several months. There is a lot more to SCRATCH Play than meets the eye... and you will start to see the fruit of those efforts over the next several months. You probably realize that the kind of effort that goes into the Diamond Bros video and the post on the Surface Blog from Microsoft do not happen overnight. Neither does the product itself and its underpinnings. It is faaaaar from just a "cut down" of SCRATCH. When it comes, you will be impressed and probably pretty surprised.

The other part is as the founder/CEO of a startup that has been under wraps for close to a year and is about to launch. But I'll talk about that somewhere other than the ASSIMILATE section of Reduser. ; )

Best,

Lucas

A couple questions:

1. Will play eventually be able to handle video exports? RV/PD player/QT pro all derive their usefulness from being able to export. I'd love a low cost transcode tool. I'd happily pay 30 for a QT replacement for day to day conversion.

2. How will additional formats be supported? Plugins like QT, or will assimilate need to handle the updates. Will it handle divx, DVCproQT, etc?

3. Command line support?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Gray View Post
    1. Will play eventually be able to handle video exports? RV/PD player/QT pro all derive their usefulness from being able to export. I'd love a low cost transcode tool. I'd happily pay 30 for a QT replacement for day to day conversion.
    Mebbe. Mebbe not. ; ) We have a plan. But the plan can change and flex and move... and a fair amount of it is based on crowdsourced user input. Please go the SCRATCH Play forum and post this question and advocate for it... and see who agrees!

2. How will additional formats be supported? Plugins like QT, or will assimilate need to handle the updates. Will it handle divx, DVCproQT, etc?
    Plugins? Quicktime works now. As does DVCproQT, and I think divx works too. (pretty sure I loaded up a divx avi a few days ago - need to verify...)

3. Command line support?
    See answer for #1. : )

I'm trying to understand the difference between the free player and the player, that is a part of a standard Scratch installation. I guess that what we may see in the near future? Personally I can see some value, if you could use the free player to open and render a project from Scratch. Or it may be interesting, if you could use the free player as a Slave station for remote grading or at least for remote viewing. If player could play back the DCP, that would be interesting as well. How about using the free player as a conforming station? Basically, if the free Player could be the Scratch station without the grading capabilities, that could too be very interesting:-)
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    I'm trying to understand the difference between the free player and the player, that is a part of a standard Scratch installation. I guess that what we may see in the near future? Personally I can see some value, if you could use the free player to open and render a project from Scratch. Or it may be interesting, if you could use the free player as a Slave station for remote grading or at least for remote viewing. If player could play back the DCP, that would be interesting as well. How about using the free player as a conforming station? Basically, if the free Player could be the Scratch station without the grading capabilities, that could too be very interesting:-)
    Jake,

The free player that has always existed with SCRATCH is a very barebones player. No CONstruct, no color, no timeline, no export, no dual view, no settings. It is a single-shot tool that shows an image on screen - and that's it.

SCRATCH Play has the CONstruct, ASC CDL-based color, a timeline (via the CONstruct), the ability to export 1D/3D LUTs and CDLs, a dual view and dual-head display, reframing, camera metadata controls (i.e.: RED SDK), file metadata, version stacking, etc, etc.

By the way - you should check out the remote capability in the full SCRATCH v8 - which is about to go into beta. But we have done public demos. True remote project collaboration across multiple stations. Remote color, remote compositing. Local media or transcode on-the-fly passing between stations. It's pretty cool - think you would like it.

Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Wilson View Post

By the way - you should check out the remote capability in the full SCRATCH v8 - which is about to go into beta. But we have done public demos. True remote project collaboration across multiple stations. Remote color, remote compositing. Local media or transcode on-the-fly passing between stations. It's pretty cool - think you would like it.

Lucas
    That's interesting, that Scratch now can do remote grading. BUT, the reason why Resolve is so useful for the remote grading is the price. You need just two Resolves at $1k on each end. Having Scratch on each end is much more expensive and, in my opinion, is a non starter. That is why I suggested the use of the free player as a slave station. That could help drive wider acceptance of Assimilate products.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel