Thread: RED EPIC/Scarlet CFast 2.0 module?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul J Steinberg View Post
    Forget money, data rate and image quality, it's about bent pins! That's a special hell you're in when you're staring at a reader or a camera with a bent pin.
    + 1
    Mail: shuttered at gmail dot com

Every village has its fool. If you meet him, don't be cruel with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J Steinberg View Post
    Forget money, data rate and image quality, it's about bent pins! That's a special hell you're in when you're staring at a reader or a camera with a bent pin.
    I don't believe CFast uses pins in the same fashion as a compact flash card, so that might not be an issue. MIND YOU, I now can't find where I read that...

I don't know what's in there, but doesn't look pinny.

I'd welcome a CFast module, so much smaller than a redmag!

CFast on the left, SATA on the right.

CFast cards are different than Compact Flash. Aside from being SATA based rather than ATA/IDE based, they use a SATA-style connector for data (7 pins) and another 17 pin connector for control+power. The cards have slots for the rigid-backed pin connectors. They are robust and designed for multiple insertions. Manufacturers can interpret specs how they like, but these could be made very durable. Overall, it's a huge improvement over CF cards and you're not going to be seeing the bent pin issues.

Edit> Alex posted a nice pic of the pin interface, I see. :)

CFast in its current revision (2.0) supports SATA 6Gbps, necessary for the speeds we're seeing with newer cards.

Unfortunately, as with memory cards and SSDs in the past, the marketing on the data rates is pure bogus. Those awesome new 450MB/s SanDisk CFast cards can't actually sustain the 400MB/s+ speeds over the entire capacity of the media. :( And as others have pointed out, the write speeds are lower -- but anyone who knows anything about how storage is marketed will expect this anyway.

Moving forward, it's hard to say what RED will do for media. Personally, I don't foresee them going back to an industry-standard type of media. Because as we saw the last time around, as soon as someone connected a non-RED CF card and had an issue due to media, the media didn't get blamed. The camera and/ or RED got blamed.

What I really hope to see from all the recent developments with FLASH memory tech is larger, faster and more aggressively priced REDMAGs!
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

I get that 400MB/s is optimistic but aren't most RED shots about 100-150MBs?

Let's be pessimistic and say they can only sustain 200MBs. A couple gigs of DDR2 in the camera should be able to buffer that no problem if there was a temporary spike. And if the media is unreliable on recording there should be integrity checks while those frames are still in the buffer to confirm that the transfer succeeded and was uncorrupted. I would rather the camera assumed media was unreliable and had the checks built in than to assumes the media is perfect and ultimately have a system which is more susceptible to fault.

Senior Member JeanChristophe Dupasquier's Avatar

Well this is getting interesting..!

is it a module I wonder or DSMC3?
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

Would be great if they’d produce a side-module for DSMC2 to match whatever DSMC3 uses.