Thread: Transcoding in RedCineX for editing on a PC.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Transcoding in RedCineX for editing on a PC. 
    Hello, I'm wanting to transcode some R3D files using RedCineX to be edited in Sony Vegas on a PC.

Usually, in the Mac world, I would transcode to ProRes, but because I'm using a PC, I am unable to transcode to ProRes in RedCineX.

I just did a test, transcoding to H264, but each of my files is ridiculously large (17GB for a 3 minute 3K-res take).

Does anyone know a good format to transcode to, which provides a nice balance between quality and file size? Or if there are any codec plugins to download that will allow me to transcode to a suitable file for editing.

I look to transcode to 1080.

Thanks,
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by William Kee View Post
    Hello, I'm wanting to transcode some R3D files using RedCineX to be edited in Sony Vegas on a PC.

Usually, in the Mac world, I would transcode to ProRes, but because I'm using a PC, I am unable to transcode to ProRes in RedCineX.

I just did a test, transcoding to H264, but each of my files is ridiculously large (17GB for a 3 minute 3K-res take).

Does anyone know a good format to transcode to, which provides a nice balance between quality and file size? Or if there are any codec plugins to download that will allow me to transcode to a suitable file for editing.

I look to transcode to 1080.

Thanks,
    Will
    Hey William,

I think your best bet is to transcode to Avid's DNxHD, it's a free codec that you can download. You never want to transcode to something like h264 for editing purposes, that is a deliverable codec. Remember, intermediate codecs are usually quite large in file size to retain information...get used to that :) To encode to DNxHD, you need to wrap it in a quicktime file - go to the properties of the quicktime and select DNX as your compressor type. Hope that helps,

Matt

There is no natively ubiquitous codec for windows, have to go with a third party codec like Avid DNxHD or Cineform. Your only other options are image sequence or uncompressed, both take up a lot more space than 17 GB / 3 minutes, but are more usable cross platform. Resolve has new codecs in Resolve 10, maybe try out one of those options.

Avid DNXHD can kill the colour balance on PCs as it messes with the gamma. I prefer to use Cineform.

Sony Vegas has Native R3D support.

You can edit the files directly without transcoding.
    - Scarlet 996 -

But Vegas will not output an EDL that anything other than Vegas can understand, so your first render will be a pre-grade from Vegas into some other codec.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Russell View Post
    Avid DNXHD can kill the colour balance on PCs as it messes with the gamma. I prefer to use Cineform.
    That is simply user error...there are no problems with the codec/colour/contrast. It has to do with how your NLE interprets it, which can be modified. It's a great ProRes alternative, and if you have GrassValley products installed on your system, GVHQX is even better.

To say user error is a bit strong, especially to a guy who started in the IT industry when PC DOS 1.0 was all the rage. All I know is it renders out of Resolve, looks great in Cineform, DPX, TIFF any other codec or format. But render out using DNXHD highest res, then play it in QT and it looks like ass - specifically black is no longer black and all the colours are washed out. The HD restriction is also a turn-off for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Russell View Post
    The codec itself does not mess with gamma, the QuickTime wrapper is the issue regardless of OS X or Win platforms. Especially QuickTime player that comes with OS X. In 10.8.5 and Mavericks, MoviePlayer does not even play DNxHD. Install MoviePlayer v7 and keep an eye on gamma shifts.

Michael

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

Thanks a lot for all the replies, I didn't realize Vegas could edit DNxHD.

Do I need to install the Cineform codec? Is it worth going with Cineform rather than DNxHD for file size/performance?

I had intended to edit native r3d. However, when I make changes in RedCineX, these changes are not accurately interpreted by Vegas. My r3d clips in Vegas look different to the grade that I've done in RedCineX, and I can't deal with that, and it's a mojoy problem with Vegas as far as I'm concerned.

Will.