Thread: Transcoding in RedCineX for editing on a PC.

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Russell View Post
    To say user error is a bit strong, especially to a guy who started in the IT industry when PC DOS 1.0 was all the rage. All I know is it renders out of Resolve, looks great in Cineform, DPX, TIFF any other codec or format. But render out using DNXHD highest res, then play it in QT and it looks like ass - specifically black is no longer black and all the colours are washed out. The HD restriction is also a turn-off for me.
    Maybe a bit strong sure, but so is saying that the codec is a bad choice because it screws up colours/gamma, etc, when in fact, it doesn't. I guess my tone was strong so as to make an impression, but for the good. Sorry if I offended you.

Quote Originally Posted by William Kee View Post
    Thanks a lot for all the replies, I didn't realize Vegas could edit DNxHD.

Do I need to install the Cineform codec? Is it worth going with Cineform rather than DNxHD for file size/performance?

I had intended to edit native r3d. However, when I make changes in RedCineX, these changes are not accurately interpreted by Vegas. My r3d clips in Vegas look different to the grade that I've done in RedCineX, and I can't deal with that, and it's a mojoy problem with Vegas as far as I'm concerned.

Will.
    It's worth testing stuff like this, so you know for sure. Listening to us on here to make a decision like that is not the best move IMHO. Sure it might save you time, but why not install both codecs and compare the two? I did that and felt better with DNxHD over cineform. Paul makes a good point about HD res restrictions though.

As for red cine x changes not displaying correctly in Vegas, it's because of two possible reasons. One, you are grading in red cine using a gamma space that is not supported in Vegas (maybe red gamma 3 for example) and two, bit depth. If both of those match, and the colour space is the same (rgb, not yuv) then the changes will look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    The codec itself does not mess with gamma, the QuickTime wrapper is the issue regardless of OS X or Win platforms. Especially QuickTime player that comes with OS X. In 10.8.5 and Mavericks, MoviePlayer does not even play DNxHD. Install MoviePlayer v7 and keep an eye on gamma shifts.

Michael

Michael
    True! Thanks for the clarification :) I wish QuickTime would die.... And same goes for codecs that are only truly supported on one system (lookong at you ProRes). It's almost 2014, with 6k video, how many stops of dynamic range, affordable media and lenses.....but wait....let's keep bending over for an ancient codec that isn't cross platform? And while I'm ranting.... Batteries! When will they get smaller....?

So, I downloaded the GoPro software, and now I'm seeing the 'Go-Pro CineForm Codec' under Quicktime.

Is this the correct CineForm codec for my Cineform vs DNxHD test?

Will.

Also, I don't seem to be able to output DNxHD at a 2.40:1 aspect ratio. The only options are 720 and 1080 16x9.

Am I able to transcode to widescreen in DNxHD?

DNxHD is a 16:9 only codec for 720 and 1080 formats. Any other ratio will be pillar/letterboxed within that aspect ratio.

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch