Thread: Angénieux 70-210mm f/3.5 VS Canon 70-200mm f/2.8

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It is a badass lens!!! :)

I have just bought a very clean Angenieux 70-210 for a Red Epic MX. It covers 5K no problem with very little aberration or fall off from what I can see. It is light but it is not a production standard lens as the plastic makes it flimsy and the focus is reasonably precise for a stills lens.

Easy to maintain
    https://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/rep/Ang...210_f=3.5.html

The glass has good definition across the range and is soft and flattering to skin. My one suffers from ghosting so the bokeh is attenuated. It breathes like crazy. Flaring / light spill on the front element can be terrible on my one so I need a matte-box. This light sill can be seen in the milky zoom in shots at the head of this thread.

NOTE The zoom does not change the lens size BUT the focus DOES. Therefore, it only works with a clip-on matte box. RAF in Russia make a focus ring for it and a 62-80mm step-up ring is available on ebay so an Arri 4X4 clip on matte box can be added. Good value zoom lens, primarily because there is not much choice in this price range, that is available in most lens mounts.

I have picked up a very clean Angenieux 70-210mm to compliment my Angenieux 28-70mm.
    The pictures above corresponds nicely with what I have seen.
    The lens is really great for the price, is parfocal and sharp ... as long as there is NO back light. As soon as there is the remotest amount of backlight or over exposure, a washy, white flaring appears, particularly at 70mm. This makes the lens virtually useless for natural exterior work. It is very nice for controlled lighting conditions and particularly flattering on skin.
    But on closer inspection, by masking the front of the lens with my hand, the extraneous light flaring reduces dramatically.
    The Angenieux 28-70mm has a mask just in front of the lens and I suspect it is there to reduce the same issue.

In the age of 3D printers, I could print such a mask, but I do not know how to calculate the rectangle that would correspond to 70mm?
    Has anyone got an idea?

I have no idea how you would calculate it, but for things like this I would just mock it up with a piece of paper moving it in towards the center until visible in the frame and then take measurements off of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Lowden View Post

In the age of 3D printers, I could print such a mask, but I do not know how to calculate the rectangle that would correspond to 70mm?
    Has anyone got an idea?
    Use black camera tape and slowly bring it in from the outside edge. Test at minimum focus and infinity, wide open and stopped down. It all makes a difference to image size and corresponding mask. Point at a blank white wall so you can see the oof tape edge easily.

Hello
    I have attached a 3D model of a 4X4 filter that I 3D printed in black plastic. The plastic is very sturdy and fits perfectly in my Arrii LMB-3 matte box.
    The result is that ... I think that a hard edged Grad ND.9 would probably be better adapted for my purposes ... but far more expensive.
    When the plastic matte filter is in front of the lens, matte does help reduce the light seepage when wide open. But when I stop down, the matte is a 3rd of the way into the frame.

Anyway, the atached model can easily modified to create other shapes and 3D printing of cheap.

Thanks for replies
    Attached Files