Thread: Angénieux 70-210mm f/3.5 VS Canon 70-200mm f/2.8

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Angénieux 70-210mm f/3.5 VS Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 
    Hi,

here's a quick lens test I made with a new lens I just got. I bought a used Angénieux 70-210mm f/3.5 with a Leica R mount which I adapted on my Red Epic via a Novoflex Lens Mount Adapter - Leica "R" Lens to Canon EOS Body. It's a great lens, handmade, very well built, made in France in 1984.

My Epic was set to 800 ASA, RC 8:1, 5K Widescreen, Redgamma 3 and no filters.

Everything was shot indoor daylight on a hazy (sometimes slightly bright) sunday afternoon.

I ran my footage through Redcine X Pro only to export screenshots. I didn't grade anything and didn't alter the footage in any way.

I shot every scene framed as accurately as possible to make the comparison easier.

As you can see, the Angénieux is much warmer and soft than the Canon. I really like it.

Here it is:

The first interesting factor is that the lens is 770g lighter, almost half the weight an size on the Canon (although my Canon is Cinemoded), making it really nice for run and gun handheld style shooting. I plan giving it a Cinemod by Duclos, like I did with my Canon lenses. But in my opinion, the true advantage of these old school pre auto focus era lenses, is that the focus ring stops so you can really shoot cine style, with proper focus marks. I know my 1st AC will love it... And the really good news is that it holds focus AND aperture throughout the zoom!

And here's a little bonus with some live footage at the end... :)

Here's some original 80's coverage and reviews in french (you can understand some interesting detailed technical specs i'm sure even if you don't speak french!):

Thank you for the side by side comparison.
    Epic-X #7924 "Skye"
    Nikon Nikkor 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 55mm Micro, 85mm, 105mm, 135mm, 180mm, 200mm
    Zeiss CP.2 15mm T2.9, 18mm T3.6, 35mm T1.5, 50mm T1.5, 85mm T1.5, 100mm T2.1

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_D View Post
    Thank you for the side by side comparison.
    You're welcome!

Thanks for the tests! Your dogs are adorable!!!!!!!

Hey Lewis thanks for the comparison. The Angy isn't quite as technically sharp in a number of spots, but is more than sharp enough and has a wonderful look...and great mechanics. It looks like it performs well stopped down, btw. Nice find! Thanks so much for taking teh time to share!!
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Wilson View Post
    Thanks for the tests! Your dogs are adorable!!!!!!!
    Thanks Ken! They are and I never get tired of filming them! They're so funny AND patient :D

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Hey Lewis thanks for the comparison. The Angy isn't quite as technically sharp in a number of spots, but is more than sharp enough and has a wonderful look...and great mechanics. It looks like it performs well stopped down, btw. Nice find! Thanks so much for taking teh time to share!!
    You're welcome Nick! Well I couldn't go to the gym this sunday so I spent the day toying around with this new lens! I found it in a photo store in Paris for pretty cheap considering the quality and just how much it performs well with the Epic! Like I said I made these tests very quickly at home, without proper measurements or calibrations, pretty much point and shoot, and lots of lens swapping! And the focus point not being always matching the same spot in the image between shots...

You are right, the Angy isn't quite as technically sharp but you can only see it on the 100% blow ups... The result of the global image texture and feel is in my opinion much more smooth and cinematic than the Canon, I'd even say more dramatic! :)

I think with the focus ring not being "endless" like auto focus lenses (yuk!), it makes it a perfect lens for narrative work and the use of a follow focus.

I expecting the little sister in a couple of days, the Agénieux 35-70mm 2.5 in FD mount...

Also I travel a lot, it'll be nice to go light again! (or carry more stuff!) :D

Great Choice Lewis.

I've had this lens for a while and use it much the way you describe. I like that it has a long focus throw. One thing to watch out for is in some lighting conditions it will not hold contrast and can tend to go a bit milky ( I like the look of that a lot) but compared to a Canon or Nikon (with better coatings) you will not see that kind of milky flaring behavior.

Besides that, I just think that this lens has a tremendous amount of character. It's gorgeous. I'll try to scratch up some images as well.

David
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis-M Soucy View Post
    Thanks Ken! They are and I never get tired of filming them! They're so funny AND patient :D

You're welcome Nick! Well I couldn't go to the gym this sunday so I spent the day toying around with this new lens! I found it in a photo store in Paris for pretty cheap considering the quality and just how much it performs well with the Epic! Like I said I made these tests very quickly at home, without proper measurements or calibrations, pretty much point and shoot, and lots of lens swapping! And the focus point not being always matching the same spot in the image between shots...

You are right, the Angy isn't quite as technically sharp but you can only see it on the 100% blow ups... The result of the global image texture and feel is in my opinion much more smooth and cinematic than the Canon, I'd even say more dramatic! :)

I think with the focus ring not being "endless" like auto focus lenses (yuk!), it makes it a perfect lens for narrative work and the use of a follow focus.

I expecting the little sister in a couple of days, the Agénieux 35-70mm 2.5 in FD mount...

Also I travel a lot, it'll be nice to go light again! (or carry more stuff!) :D
    And the beauty is with Dragon that 3.5 stop won't be as limiting (if you will) anymore...and makes this lens much more usable!

Love that it holds focus as it zooms...crazy....
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

BTW I'm now selling one of my 3 lens!

eBay listing here:

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Angenieux-Zoo.../301461691894?

That angi is a beast of a lens. One of the most unique looking lenses I have ever owned.

Battistella
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake