Thread: Google VP9 4K HD Sample

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Google VP9 4K HD Sample 
    Lots of talk about VP9 lately around here and after CES 2014. I wanted to show you guys a sample in 4K HD, UHD 4K, QHD or whatever the heck 3840x2160 will be known by.

Here's a zip file with instructions on how to play it back, 200MB:

http://www.artbyphil.com/temp/phfx_4...estFootage.zip

This is random 6K HD Epic Dragon footage compressed to the 15Mbps stream, which is similar to the targeted HEVC bitrate that Netflix demoed their 4K stream with.

If you have a modern moderately powerful computer you will likely be able to playback this file without a problem. However, if you don't VP9 is in it's infant stages without an acceleration or optimized playback at the moment. So you might experience judder, break ups, jumps, etc...... VLC for instance currently explodes gloriously. Drag and drop this into Google Chrome or play it with "Apprentice Video" for best results.

Interestingly enough the 9Mbps stream is impressive as well. I might upload that sample tomorrow.

Google will likely be somewhere in the 9-15Mbps range for YouTube and it's other video services. Compared to other forms of current web delivery in terms of visual quality I'm happy to see progress going in this direction.

I've been experimenting with these newer codecs for months now. To me, the biggest difference between VP9 and H.264/X.264 is how it "solves" fine details. It tends to hold more. In fact, I've done some grain tests that look rather nice too. Grain destroys H.264 usually. In comparison to HEVC/H.265, I'm hesitant to do a side by side because the tools aren't exactly there yet. I should have something early next week that might change that though.

Hopefully this is a neat glimpse into the potential future of web video.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K S35 Helium "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Grain destroys H.264 usually.
    Couldn't agree more. Saw "Beasts of the Southern Wild" recently digitally, and the grain just obliterated the movie. The compression and codec couldn't handle the texture, and the film was awash with pixilation. Very frustrating.

Really hoping this new codec ushers in a new age of digital streaming and delivery.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Really hoping this new codec ushers in a new age of digital streaming and delivery.
    two codecs... (:

first off, that dragon footage is really beautiful... love those leaves. as far as compression, i suppose it's still a work in progress but it looks better than anything i feel like i've ever seen on the web. so this is the future, huh? it makes me happy! playing fine i chrome and looking good on my 13" retina here.

phil, i'm guessing you're using ffmpeg? have you tried doing anything with the extra channels?

i'm wondering if everything online is going to get recompressed from the original or stay h264 or get recompressed from the compressed :/
    i really wish youtube would let you update a video file like vimeo...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    4K HD, UHD 4K, QHD or whatever the heck 3840x2160 will be known by.
    haha... well i'm going to keep voting for plain and simple "4K" - that's the simplest/quickest version and it's what everyody has already been calling it for years (like, 4ever) - and it essentially is the selling point (4X HD, 4000 pixels, 4K) - why not?

oh, you forgot 2160p!!! lol
    Scarlet-X #970 "Silver"
    paulherrin.com

Quote Originally Posted by paulherrin View Post
    phil, i'm guessing you're using ffmpeg? have you tried doing anything with the extra channels?

i'm wondering if everything online is going to get recompressed from the original or stay h264 or get recompressed from the compressed :/
    i really wish youtube would let you update a video file like vimeo...
    I'm using everything at the moment ffmpeg is the easiest way to start, but if you are a solid coder you can "roll your own". I've been doing some strange, strange tests - but yes I have testing literally everything it does.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

haha, i really don't like coding unless that's my only option to do something i really, really, really want/need to do. i can't wait for the next gen when syntax/grammar/vocabulary is translated, i just want to tell my machine what to do and be lazy...
    Scarlet-X #970 "Silver"
    paulherrin.com

it is slow and I cannot scrub the timeline neither in chrome nor video apprentice without crashing.
    that is on a gtx titan with 64gig of ram.
    Any idea what the issue is?

Quote Originally Posted by Karim_Nassar View Post
    it is slow and I cannot scrub the timeline neither in chrome nor video apprentice without crashing.
    that is on a gtx titan with 64gig of ram.
    Any idea what the issue is?
    That's very, very interesting. Using the same setup here on Intel I7 and I can playback full screen just fine.

Like I said though, this is far from optimized and in the early stages so system performance and compatibility are up in the air.

I'll make a "less chunky" one tomorrow and see how that runs. Might pop out an X264 version so you guys can compare. This really works well if you have a 4K display to A/B it.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Stunning shots, Phil!

Mplayer X 1.0.21 plays it in RT on my iMac.

plays back on my iMac as well via VLC just fine
    3.5 i7 32g ram NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB graphics
    Cinematographer | Director | Editor | Colorist | Writer
    http://jacenk.net - Epic Dragon #6625 "Leelu"

Just gave it a look in Chrome; really impressed with how well VP9 holds color and fine detail. Nice work as always Phil!
    Burke Doeren
    BURKE DOEREN PRODUCTIONS
    Santa Monica, CA
    Director | Cinematographer | Visual Effects
    www.BurkeDoeren.com