Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Dragon Flare

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 Dragon Flare 
    He all, I posted in another thread but thought I would start a new one since I am getting so many questions about the new OLPF coming and concerns about the optical flare / reflections that some people are seeing with the old filter.

In certain situations the current Dragon OLPF can exhibit a reflected IR flare or magenta glow around bright sources inside or on the edge of Frame in different strengths depending on the light, the angle of reflection, lens etc.

Good news is that the new OLPF comes out of the oven en masse in about a month.. and it solves the flare issues as well as fixes a few other optical / IR characteristics that we have seen over the last couple months.

Graeme is going to kick my ass for posting this image because he is still in the middle of the new color science that goes with the new OLPF, but I thought it was important to share with you an example of the new filter as the difference is meaningful, and an image is worth a thousand words.

New on top, current on bottom.

Of course, for all existing Dragons already out there we will gladly swap out the OLPF to anyone who requests it for no charge, just let your Bombsquad rep know you would like it done.

Update Feb. 4th. Phil Holland took the new OLPF for a spin...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I have a secret. And this is a very, very important post.

Last week Jarred invited me to test out the new Epic Dragon OLPF plus the new camera/sensor calibration. For the last couple days I've been digging into it real hard.

I'll keep it brief because the images do the talking.

First up, FLARE.

As Jarred mentioned the "OG" Dragon OLPF exhibited reflected IR flare or magenta glow around bright sources. Much of what I've been doing is hard stress testing and comparisons to the New Dragon OLPF.

The Sun.

40 Watt Incandescent Bulb.

Single Source Flashlight.

A Match.

The magenta glow around intense sources is gone. This is great news.

You may notice that there are color and "tonal density" improvements. Dragon received a new calibration and update to the color science to play nice with this New OLPF.

So you might ask, is the IR Cut still as effective and what's the net results on the color utilizing hard Neutral Density Filtration?

Daylight - ND 2.7

IR Cut performance is still wonderful. You will not need additional IR Filtration with the New OLPF on Dragon. You just want regular NDs. I have tested 0.3-2.7 ND.

If you look extremely closely you will notice color has slightly improved overall. Additionally in shadows and highlights IR contamination has been eliminated with the New OLPF. Those blue shadows are extremely pure (check out the sky in the Sun Flare image too). White highlights are white. Dark shadow areas are clean. You may noticed that chroma is richer in the 2800K WB/ISO 2000 Match test image as well. Good stuff.

One more chart.

Artificial Daylight Source - No ND.

Color looks great.

The new calibration has also improved other areas.

Highlight Retention and Highlight Roll-Off.

That's approximately 1.3+ stops improvements in the highlights. Also to note, the New OLPF wrangles light fall-off and bloom a bit nicer. So you get richer shadow detail, where the previous OLPF with it's IR contamination flattened out those areas a bit. Subtle, but visibly noticeable in captured material.

I'm still conducting a few tests, but this is info you're looking for. I hear that the new OLPFs are coming soon and will be dropped into Dragons with this new calibration as well.

Hats off to the Red Team for developing and implementing this New OLPF tech. They listened and worked very quickly.

Now Dragon is even better.

Thanks go to Jarred for letting me break this thing in.

Sweet, go Graeme, go :)
    Epic-X #5585 - Amphibico Rouge Underwater Housing
    www.jeffwhitehurst.com
    Nothing Happens Until Something Moves
    - Albert Einstein

I assume this isn't user-replaceable. We will need to send the camera in for this?

www.SolarSystemStudio.com/

EPIC DRAGON - SCARLET DRAGON - DJI Ronin - Proline Raven steadicam

Great news. Nothing that couldn't be worked with in post but good to see this fix. Thanks Jarred.
    BLACKWOOD CINEMA
    http://www.blackwoodfx.com

We have RED Dragons available right now. Las Vegas and available to ship world-wide.

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curran Giddens View Post
    I assume this isn't user-replaceable. We will need to send the camera in for this?
    The OLPF is user replaceable, but for the existing Dragons with the old filter you will need to send your camera in, since the color science is different with the new OLPF we need to reprogram your camera to tell it which filter it has, so all the post tools know which color science to apply.

If OLPF is user replaceable... Could this work with current mx chips or dragon only?
    www.ryanhamblin.com

BrainStemDigital production|post|vfx
    info@brainstem.tv
    www.brainstem.tv
    follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/brainstemdigit

Gear list: RED Scarlet-X #00235, Rokinon 8mm F/3.5, Rokinon 14mm T/3.1, Rokinon 24mm, 35mm, 85mm T/1.5, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, various ND and filtration

This is great news!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    The OLPF is user replaceable, but for the existing Dragons with the old filter you will need to send your camera in, since the color science is different with the new OLPF we need to reprogram your camera to tell it which filter it has, so all the post tools know which color science to apply.
    What about Dragon upgrades that are performed between now and the OLPF upgrade? Will those cameras need to be sent back as well?

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Russell View Post
    What about Dragon upgrades that are performed between now and the OLPF upgrade? Will those cameras need to be sent back as well?
    Same thing... the OLPF is a month away so if your Dragon is due before then you can either have it wait at RED for the filter to come in and do everything at once, or send it back at a later time to get upgraded. Obviously if you are far away from a RED repair center, the first option might be best.

This is great news!!

Go Graeme! Go RED!
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com